424 yards of trouble

That's what I was hoping. A kid just sat out the first half of the GA/NC because he targeted in second half of bowl game last year.

That was a really unfortunate call on Jewell. It looked like he was going for the shoulder area but the defender stumbled forward at the last second putting his head down and the helmets collided. Not sure it was deliberate on Jewell's part but it happened and the right call was made.

I think Miami's offense was better than we thought they would be, with their 10 returning starters, etc. , they should be. It appeared to me that Iowa stayed very vanilla on D (I didn't notice any line stunts, blitzes, raider pkg. etc..) and I'm not sure why. Did they not want to show certain things? They didn't show some of their zone coverages either. And Jewell is a difference maker. Hockaday played hard and had the nice hit, but he does not read as fast or step up like Jewell does. It's weird how things work out, because Jewell might have read the screen faster and broke it up where Hockaday caused the fumble after the catch.

That was a really unfortunate call on Jewell. It looked like he was going for the shoulder area but the defender stumbled forward at the last second putting his head down and the helmets collided. Not sure it was deliberate on Jewell's part but it happened and the right call was made.
Doesn't really matter what the defender was doing , Jewell led with his head so it was the right call.

Well, offense appeared to be ahead of defense in open practice. I wondered whether it was the offense being ahead of where they usually are, the defense being behind, or some of both. I'll guess some of both at this point. Jewell being out doesn't help things since he is making the defensive calls. I'm guessing they were in base defense the entire game. Miami appeared to be making some good calls against Iowa's D. Without much in the way of a pass rush Iowa let Miami's quarterback have a career day. Once again problems getting the opposing offense stopped on third and long.

I think Miami's offense was better than we thought they would be, with their 10 returning starters, etc. , they should be. It appeared to me that Iowa stayed very vanilla on D (I didn't notice any line stunts, blitzes, raider pkg. etc..) and I'm not sure why. Did they not want to show certain things? They didn't show some of their zone coverages either. And Jewell is a difference maker. Hockaday played hard and had the nice hit, but he does not read as fast or step up like Jewell does. It's weird how things work out, because Jewell might have read the screen faster and broke it up where Hockaday caused the fumble after the catch.

My understanding is Jewell is the leader of the defense and makes defensive calls. Iowa's offense put up a good lead early. We shouldn't be surprised they were in base defense pretty much the entire game. In his first year as a starter Bahl had a reputation for being a decent QB who wasn't good under pressure. Miami's offense had a good game plan.

Kids are amped. 1st game....my take... sit Mabin.....he's what gives Q's banner games.....too much cushion and not enough pushin

I think this was the proper approach to this game, with this team. By staying in the base defense the entire game it gives the players a lot of reps and film ti correct against an opponent that we we should beat handily. If we were behind or the game close, we would have done some things I am sure. But what's the point really? I would rather have win 45-21 in our vanilla packages with mistakes to correct than win 63-0 and stunt and gimmick the entire game.

How many times do we see a team, like Louisville or West Virginia destroy lesser teams by running up the score only to find out they aren't that good when it matters. Michigan State is a great example, because at the end of the year, all we will remember is the record.

Well, offense appeared to be ahead of defense in open practice. I wondered whether it was the offense being ahead of where they usually are, the defense being behind, or some of both. I'll guess some of both at this point. Jewell being out doesn't help things since he is making the defensive calls. I'm guessing they were in base defense the entire game. Miami appeared to be making some good calls against Iowa's D. Without much in the way of a pass rush Iowa let Miami's quarterback have a career day. Once again problems getting the opposing offense stopped on third and long.
Crazy. This almost never happens.

I think this was the proper approach to this game, with this team. By staying in the base defense the entire game it gives the players a lot of reps and film ti correct against an opponent that we we should beat handily. If we were behind or the game close, we would have done some things I am sure. But what's the point really? I would rather have win 45-21 in our vanilla packages with mistakes to correct than win 63-0 and stunt and gimmick the entire game.

How many times do we see a team, like Louisville or West Virginia destroy lesser teams by running up the score only to find out they aren't that good when it matters. Michigan State is a great example, because at the end of the year, all we will remember is the record.

+10 = Quality Observation.... ran 1 twist up front the 2nd half, no blitz, just lots of quality reps against a different opponent than you've seen every day for the past month.... thought the Hawks hit hard, tackled consistently - the stunts will show up when needed

Good one, smarty pants :) he led with the crown of his helmet. Is that better?

He sort of went in a bit lazy...and leading with his head. To me when players do that, technically they aren't meaning to do it, but they also aren't meaning not to do it.

Well Cyclone fans sure think he and Kirk are dirty for a blatant intentional targeting hit.

Latest posts