4 or 5 seed in BTT

hawkfarmer

If Iowa wins and Nebby loses Iowa gets the 4 seed and a bye and gets to play the winner of Nebby and 12 seed.

If Iowa and Nebby both win Iowa gets the 5 seed and plays the 12 seed then Nebby.

I know they can get the 6th seed if they lose and both Nebby and OSU win, but lets say Iowa wins against Illinois.

Would you rather have the 4 seed and a by and get to play Nebby, or the 5 seed, play a game and still get to play Nebby.

I pick the 4 seed all day long. A win against the 12 seed will not help much IMO, but the potential loss could really really be bad.

Thoughts?

I honestly think the team that plays Thursday has a slight advantage on Friday, I very small disadvantage on Saturday, and a little bit bigger disadvantage on Sunday. Part of me likes the idea of having a better chance of making it to the weekend. I think with how many people we play we really wouldn't have a disadvantage at all on Saturday. By the time we got to Sunday I'm willing to roll the dice and take our chances.

If northwestern falls to the 12 I will like it even more because it greatly reduces the possibility of a Thursday loss. I also love watching them play so playing Thursday would be a bonus in that sense.

One last thing. I think it would be extremely cool to have father son in the top 2 in scoring and playing that extra game gives that a better chance of happening. All that said I want the bye because I'm a chicken **** and you can't lose I'd you don't play!

Just my opinion, but based on our personnel and style of play, I think we'd be much more dangerous (assuming we take care of business) coming off a bye and playing a team that played 40+ minutes the day before. If somehow the other team coming off a bye were to lose I would see that being a major advantage going into Saturday and Sunday. Regardless, IMO when you're playing everyday for 4 or 5 days a bye can only be a good thing early if you're planning on making a deep run.

It's at the point that none of it matters. The team is physically soft and mentally broken. They have 3 - 5 games, tops left this year, depending on a W or L against Illannoy.

Illannoy W (and Husker L) = #4 seed in BTT and losing to fOSU = #7 seed in NCAA and losing to #10 in 1st round. 3 games.

Illannoy W (and Husker W) = #5 seed in BTT, win over NwU, lose to Husker = #6 seed in NCAA, possible loss to #11, definite loss in round of 32. 4 or 5 games.

Illannoy L (as inconceivable as this is) = #5 seed in BTT, possible loss in 1st round, definite loss to Husker = #8 seed in NCAA and definite loss to #9. 3 or 4 games.

It's at the point that none of it matters. The team is physically soft and mentally broken. They have 3 - 5 games, tops left this year, depending on a W or L against Illannoy.

Illannoy W (and Husker L) = #4 seed in BTT and losing to fOSU = #7 seed in NCAA and losing to #10 in 1st round. 3 games.

Illannoy W (and Husker W) = #5 seed in BTT, win over NwU, lose to Husker = #6 seed in NCAA, possible loss to #11, definite loss in round of 32. 4 or 5 games.

Illannoy L (as inconceivable as this is) = #5 seed in BTT, possible loss in 1st round, definite loss to Husker = #8 seed in NCAA and definite loss to #9. 3 or 4 games.

I think they will turn the corner now. Saturday stomp of the Illini is Step #1. Winning the BTT is Step #2. Making a run into the Sweet 16 is Step #3. Will there be a Step #4?

The biggest reason to want the 4 seed is the possibility of the 12 upsetting the 5. If that happens you are playing the 12 seed on Friday instead of Thursday. It would eliminate playing Nebraska all together.

If Iowa wins and Nebby loses Iowa gets the 4 seed and a bye and gets to play the winner of Nebby and 12 seed.

If Iowa and Nebby both win Iowa gets the 5 seed and plays the 12 seed then Nebby.

I know they can get the 6th seed if they lose and both Nebby and OSU win, but lets say Iowa wins against Illinois.

Would you rather have the 4 seed and a by and get to play Nebby, or the 5 seed, play a game and still get to play Nebby.

I pick the 4 seed all day long. A win against the 12 seed will not help much IMO, but the potential loss could really really be bad.

Thoughts?

I am surprised that so many people are chalking the Illinois game as a win. They are playing their best lately and Iowa has looked very bad on defense, home & away, for the last 1/3 of the season.

I want the bye. We need to be fresh to beat Michigan. However, Northwestern is a virtual lock for the 12 seed. It won't be the end of the world if we play them on Thursday. Win by 12 instead of 26 and keep everyone fresh. A little 2 game winning streak might be good for this team. I still prefer the bye.

The 6 seed just can't happen. We could very well end up playing Michigan State again Friday. If we play those thugs again I want it to be in the championship game. I also want it to be after Ohio State and Wisconsin beat up on them playing their own versions of thug basketball.

I am surprised that so many people are chalking the Illinois game as a win. They are playing their best lately and Iowa has looked very bad on defense, home & away, for the last 1/3 of the season.

I'm not chalking it up to a win. But for this example, a question that my brother posed to me the other day this is the scenario that creates the example so i went with it.

the 12 seed is NW.

whether the 5 seed is Iowa or Nebby, playing on thursday isn't going to matter.

one bracket has

10 seeds: St. Joes, Pitt, SMU, Stanford
11 seeds: Ark, Zaga, Dayton, MO/Xavier play-in

Let's be real, six or seven seeds are not fighting up a mountain in the first round. Let's not ink in a loss vs. 10 seed or even pencil in a possible loss vs. 11 seed.

Six or seven seeds are usually good teams that struggle toward the end of the season or don't have the resume to bump up to the 4-5 line. They take care of business 70% of the time.

Illinois is coming off a 31 point home loss to Michigan, not exactly playing their best. Sure maybe the 3 prior games to the UM game, but have to look at their season overall. Iowa wins by 12-15.

Illinois is coming off a 31 point home loss to Michigan, not exactly playing their best. Sure maybe the 3 prior games to the UM game, but have to look at their season overall. Iowa wins by 12-15.[/QUOTE

Yeah this. You lose at home by 31 points, you aint that good. Iowa big this weekend. And I only say this cause I think it is the only option the Hawks have.

Illinois is coming off a 31 point home loss to Michigan, not exactly playing their best. Sure maybe the 3 prior games to the UM game, but have to look at their season overall. Iowa wins by 12-15.

Illinois is awful. They've beaten Nebraska, Minnesota, and Michigan St recently. They actually play that thing called defense. Even with the Michigan loss, this is the best they've looked all year.

You obviously don't watch much basketball Illinois last game was a 30 point loss...if that's their best I like our chances today at home. I think this thing today ends up a lot like the Purdue game where we are biting our nails until the final buzzer.

You obviously don't watch much basketball Illinois last game was a 30 point loss...if that's their best I like our chances today at home. I think this thing today ends up a lot like the Purdue game where we are biting our nails until the final buzzer.

You obviously watch much basketball either. As I said in a previous post, Illinois is terrible. However, prior to the Michigan game, Illinois beat Minnesota on the road, Nebraska at home, & Michigan St on the road. The same Michigan St team that blasted Iowa off the court 2 days ago. I would take their last 4 game stretch over Iowa's in a heartbeat. And unless I'm mistaken, Illinois played Iowa down to the wire earlier this year.

Latest posts