4:00 Iowa vs Elon Game thread

Alexis going 5 of 6 from 3 is awesome. She's been a very pleasant surprise this young season. The Hawks with a season high 9 blocks but got out rebounded 49-45. Hope they get their free throw shooting touch back because we will need it Wednesday! Over all I'm tickled pink with the way the Hawks played in this tourney.

Looking through the game stats, I noticed some interesting things. Amanda played only 6 minutes, but had 4 rebounds and a block. That's pretty productive. Were her minutes all at the end of the game or did she get in when the game was still in doubt? Megan had only 5 defensive rebounds, so it seems the team is starting to value rebounding and making it a team activity (that's great going forward). Also seems strange she shot only 1 FT despite getting 16 shots (I'm assuming those were in the paint). Coach really shortened her rotation. I wonder if that was a one game thing (she's been known to get caught up in the flow and forget her substitution pattern or she was unhappy with the defense from Carly and Amanda?). Seems they've made a conscious effort to put Chase in face up positions rather than have her play back to the basket (Megan and Hannah are better back to the basket) and that seems to have helped her confidence. I appreciate any observations from those who saw the game. Thanks.

Looking through the game stats, I noticed some interesting things. Amanda played only 6 minutes, but had 4 rebounds and a block. That's pretty productive. Were her minutes all at the end of the game or did she get in when the game was still in doubt? Megan had only 5 defensive rebounds, so it seems the team is starting to value rebounding and making it a team activity (that's great going forward). Also seems strange she shot only 1 FT despite getting 16 shots (I'm assuming those were in the paint). Coach really shortened her rotation. I wonder if that was a one game thing (she's been known to get caught up in the flow and forget her substitution pattern or she was unhappy with the defense from Carly and Amanda?). Seems they've made a conscious effort to put Chase in face up positions rather than have her play back to the basket (Megan and Hannah are better back to the basket) and that seems to have helped her confidence. I appreciate any observations from those who saw the game. Thanks.
Amanda played in the 4th. quarter early and was a definite help with her rebounding. Megan was getting hammered but they called it pretty much the same for both. It was ugly at times but the Hawks don't back down! Lisa maybe got caught up in the game because she could of used Amanda and Carly. Missed a lot of bunnies but both teams did. Those baskets were weird. That's why I think so many free throws were missed. When the balls bounced on the rim they just kind of went dead. If you weren't standing right underneath the basket you missed the rebound. Chase for the most part faced the basket but she did actually pull a couple very nice fakes and use the reverse layup. One was outstanding. Left those Elon girls in her wake! Tickled that Chase is finally taking shots. She has a sweet looking shot. Chase even brought the ball up the floor a couple of times. I think she thought she was back in high school playing guard! Lol Hannah was very good at blocking shots and rebounding but Elon got most of their blocked shots off of Hannah because......well she can't jump very high. Those Elon girls were big! She held her own on the boards though! Megan was primarily in the paint and I can only remember her shooting from 10 foot maybe twice. I was very pleased with everybody's play. Everyone gave max effort and I didn't see any flaws but maybe 1. Elon was reaching and hacking at everything in the paint and Tania went in their more than she should have because they weren't calling fouls. Excited for the Florida St. game Wednesday. If I didn't answer everything let me know and I'll try again. :)

@hagarwood this team has never utilized the drive and kick or a pass to the wing from the post. Logic and Dixon had that perfected. Maybe in time Lisa will install that. Right now when Hannah especially needs to kick it out when she hs those giants around her. Megan has the mobility and the moves to get around it. I think maybe she's taking things one at a time with them. They are doing more things now than they did the first couple of games.

@hagarwood this team has never utilized the drive and kick or a pass to the wing from the post. Logic and Dixon had that perfected. Maybe in time Lisa will install that. Right now when Hannah especially needs to kick it out when she hs those giants around her. Megan has the mobility and the moves to get around it. I think maybe she's taking things one at a time with them. They are doing more things now than they did the first couple of games.
You may be right, but we haven't really had a shooter since Dixon graduated. Next year we'll have one. Taiwo is making 4 per game and shooting over 50% from 3. She's been spectacular so far this year (92% FT). Actually all the recruits that have started, Cook and Martin have been great (both over 20 pts. per game). Monica's season starts in Dec. Thanks for your thoughts.

You may be right, but we haven't really had a shooter since Dixon graduated. Next year we'll have one. Taiwo is making 4 per game and shooting over 50% from 3. She's been spectacular so far this year (92% FT). Actually all the recruits that have started, Cook and Martin have been great (both over 20 pts. per game). Monica's season starts in Dec. Thanks for your thoughts.
Alexis is showing signs of being able to let her give it a go. Melissa spoiled the heck out of me. She was fantastic! You're welcome hagarwood!