30 years ago today

okeefe4prez

July the 10th, nineteen hundred and ninety three, north central Iowa got the final really bad wave of rain during the Flood of 1993. My uncle called me from Humboldt to tell me that it was the worst rain he had ever seen and that the tributaries flowing into the fork of the Des Moines River were going absolutely nuts. Later that evening, the levee at the Des Moines Water Works was overcome with flood waters.

On July 11, 1993 many of us may have woken up to no water. Anheuser-Busch was on the scene before the government with Budweiser trucks loaded with canned water. Unfortunately, Transheuser-Busch has been overrun with communist sympathizers and no one who currently works there has any idea of how much brand goodwill that single gesture created in Iowa. If the company wasn't full of leftist Millennial dumbasses they would be running ads left and right to commemorate the anniversary of that momentous occasion.

The whole year was wet. Could hardly get any baseball games in that spring. We finally were able to find a dry field (Atkins? Watkins?). We played a triple-header that day. The HS season was almost as bad. The team I was coaching missed an entire week of games due to one day of heavy rain. It wasn't just our field, it was everywhere. The ground was so saturated, there was nowhere for the water to go. Sad, too, because I had a helluva team.

I was working in a state office complex office on Grand Ave. Portable restrooms were located on the south side of the building in direct sunshine. Needless to say, it lead to the shortest restroom visits ever experienced at the state office complex.

I was working in a state office complex office on Grand Ave. Portable restrooms were located on the south side of the building in direct sunshine. Needless to say, it lead to the shortest restroom visits ever experienced at the state office complex.

I'll bet that smelled divine.

That spring summer is a core memory of mine. It was the first real true flood I remember when growing up. Real bad floods only happen at other places until that spring. It literally seemed like it rained at least every other day, hard rains for 3-4 months. I saw water in my town where I have never seen before. We lived with the Cedar River behind our house, a good 1/4-1/2 mile away, and water came up to where we could see it in the field behind. I remember seeing that whole house on the tube floating down the Mississippeeee. The fear of all the levees holding and many did not. I didn't think it was ever going to stop raining that year. They pegged it as the 500 year flood. So happens, we had another 500 yr flood a few years later.

And a side note, yes, the millenials running these big corps as execs is not good for them. They don't make business decisions for the best of the business, they make them for the social aspect and really fucking these places up.

That spring summer is a core memory of mine. It was the first real true flood I remember when growing up. Real bad floods only happen at other places until that spring. It literally seemed like it rained at least every other day, hard rains for 3-4 months. I saw water in my town where I have never seen before. We lived with the Cedar River behind our house, a good 1/4-1/2 mile away, and water came up to where we could see it in the field behind. I remember seeing that whole house on the tube floating down the Mississippeeee. The fear of all the levees holding and many did not. I didn't think it was ever going to stop raining that year. They pegged it as the 500 year flood. So happens, we had another 500 yr flood a few years later.

And a side note, yes, the millenials running these big corps as execs is not good for them. They don't make business decisions for the best of the business, they make them for the social aspect and really fucking these places up.

Well, when you put levees all over the place it just changes where the water goes. A river like the ol' man, the mighty Mississipp, is gonna go wherever the hell it wants.

The flood of '93 wasn't the only weird weather that year. The South got hammered by a March blizzard, which is unheard of. A lot of speculation is that the eruption of a giant volcano in the Philippines cooled the upper atmosphere and changed a lot of weather patterns for two years until all the particulate matter settled. Now you may be saying "Wow, that sounds terrible, I hope it never happens again." And I have great news for you.

There are now companies forming specifically to release particulate matter into the air to curb "global warming." They can use weather balloons to do it. Not to be outdone, our government is now looking into the viability of this as well.

Well, when you put levees all over the place it just changes where the water goes. A river like the ol' man, the mighty Mississipp, is gonna go wherever the hell it wants.

The flood of '93 wasn't the only weird weather that year. The South got hammered by a March blizzard, which is unheard of. A lot of speculation is that the eruption of a giant volcano in the Philippines cooled the upper atmosphere and changed a lot of weather patterns for two years until all the particulate matter settled. Now you may be saying "Wow, that sounds terrible, I hope it never happens again." And I have great news for you.

There are now companies forming specifically to release particulate matter into the air to curb "global warming." They can use weather balloons to do it. Not to be outdone, our government is now looking into the viability of this as well.

That was the first year I heard of El Nino to.

I lived in Ft Madison and we actually had to drive through the prison grounds to get to the easternmost part of town during the '93 flood.

I remember we lost only one city rec softball game to rain. We played on Wednesday. The Dubuque area was also one of the least hit areas of the state with a few exceptions like fourth of July weekend..

As for our city rec program,, those who played on Thursday weren't as lucky. It seemed to rain every Thursday in June and July. They had to make up a ton of games, especially when the July 5th deluge washed a couple diamonds out and rendered them useless the rest of the summer.

Latest posts