3 things for next year

I think we were simply a pretty good team earlier in the year, not sure anyone overlooked us. We beat the teams we should have for the most part. Wore down toward the end of the season and had the other off the court stuff going on.

Yea they probably didn't . by the time we got to the conference schedule we were ranked so no one would have overlooked us.

1. We need two transfers at the guard position. Otherwise we're going to have a roster full of upperclassmen who aren't going to be any better than NCAA 2nd round at the top end.
2. Either play zone all year or hire a defensive specialty coach. Fran can't coach M2M at all.
3. The fan base is still very suspicious of this program, and most of that is because of the AD. They need to be kissing the fanbase's butt for several months or else all of this is going to repeat the next time Barta does something stupid.

PS: LEAVE THE PBP GUY ALONE BARTA YOU MORON.

So without 2 new guards we won't be able to improve by 1 point in the 2nd round?

I'm just saying, if this team was 1 point away from the sweet 16, it's possible to make it next year with no improvement. Let alone 2 better guards.
It doesn’t work like that. Every yr is different. From chemistry to individual improvement to opponents variables and in and on. Nothing picks up where it left off. Some players surge ahead and others get passed or stagnate.

^^^^this times one thousand^^^^ meaning we are now at PG x 3 times one million. If this team had a point guard and Pemsl, it would have made it out of the first weekend and would be in position to do some damage. Not the best team in the country, but could mix it up with almost anyone.

Couldn’t have said it better.

Iowa awaiting Touissant, Nunge, and next Mac on the team is a great addition.

Fran and the entire coaching staff needs to spend 95% of their time recruiting any and every top notch PG in the world. This will take away from their dedication to coaching defense but, well, you don't have time to do everything.

Fran and the entire coaching staff needs to spend 95% of their time recruiting any and every top notch PG in the world. This will take away from their dedication to coaching defense but, well, you don't have time to do everything.
Maybe I'm misremembering, but I though Fran got close with Tyler Ulis, but he was the only super legit PG we have ever come close on.

Maybe I'm misremembering, but I though Fran got close with Tyler Ulis, but he was the only super legit PG we have ever come close on.
Having two of the coach's kids on the team, on the perimeter, will be difficult. Perhaps Iowa is "set" at PG for a few years.

Iowa has a 4 star pg coming next season per some analytic sites. Joe T has shot up the rankings despite being committed to Iowa. That says at least something to me. So, IMO, Fran has at least on paper and tape(which is all you can go by) a potentially good PG already in fold. Add Nunge, Frederick, Pemsl and little Mac and you've got some good balance coming back if everyone stays. Iowa will be a better team next year - next year they are playing for a 6 seed or higher IMO.

I'm just saying, if this team was 1 point away from the sweet 16, it's possible to make it next year with no improvement. Let alone 2 better guards.

I agree with the others, it doesn't work that way. I don't think we can count on another 2 seed letting us come back from as far down as we were to knock them off in the 2nd round in 2020.

IMO our best chance of making the Sweet 16 or beyond is to have a good enough regular season to ideally earn at least a 4/5 seed, so that the second round game is more or less a coin flip at worst (and maybe you benefit from a 1st round upset next to you), rather than having to hope for pulling a second round upset over a 1/2 seed. It's going to take more than a 1 point improvement to boost our seed that far.

I'm not saying it can't or won't happen, though.

Last edited:

I think we were in his Top 3. Not sure this is 100% true but thought I've read that he was going to MSU if not UK. I don't know if that is just speculation or if Ulis said that, though..

"I don't think we can count on another 2 seed letting us come back from as far down as we were to knock them off in the 2nd round in 2020"

Not that I totally disagree with this or that I don't understand your point. You have a valid point. But, the make up of this team, with the 3 point shooters it has, I think this team CAN expect teams to let them come back from far down and to knock them off a lot. Why? Because this team has done that a lot. Good teams, bad teams, 21 points, 25 points. It literally doesn't matter. Basketball is a game of runs and when this team clicked, it was one of the hottest shooting teams in the country. A good bulk of that returns and IMO, we're gonna see that type of game several more times next year.

I agree with the others, it doesn't work that way. I don't think we can count on another 2 seed letting us come back from as far down as we were to knock them off in the 2nd round in 2020.

IMO our best chance of making the Sweet 16 or beyond is to have a good enough regular season to ideally earn at least a 4/5 seed, so that the second round game is more or less a coin flip at worst (and maybe you benefit from a 1st round upset next to you), rather than having to hope for pulling a second round upset over a 1/2 seed. It's going to take more than a 1 point improvement to boost our seed that far.

I'm not saying it can't or won't happen, though.

You can't count on it, but it can happen. To say this exact team minus Baer plus 4 new players and one more year of experience has no chance to do something this team almost did is pretty stupid. If next year looks just like this one. A 2nd round loss is the most likely option. But it's not the ceiling because it wasn't the ceiling this year. Another thing is a 2 seed cant count on getting a 25 point first half lead either.