3-Point Line Moved Back

Just playing devil's advocate but why is this considered a good or needed change? It's not going to bring back the mid range jumper or teams cutting down on the number of threes they're taking. I guess I just don't understand why it's something that needs changed. As players got bigger and more athletic they didn't experiment with raising rim. I just don't understand why the need to continually change the rules or make adjustments to an established product as the dynamics of the culture of the game change. Doesn't make sense to me.

They're doing it wrong. Rather than moving it back let's create parity rather than punishing those individuals that excelled by moving the line back even further, lets just reward everyone by removing the three point arc all together and anything inside the lane is worth two and anything outside is worth 3.

I simply don't understand why they have to constantly change things.

I hope this is a joke, especially coming from someone that is discouraging minor changes for a gigantic one.

Just playing devil's advocate but why is this considered a good or needed change? It's not going to bring back the mid range jumper or teams cutting down on the number of threes they're taking. I guess I just don't understand why it's something that needs changed. As players got bigger and more athletic they didn't experiment with raising rim. I just don't understand why the need to continually change the rules or make adjustments to an established product as the dynamics of the culture of the game change. Doesn't make sense to me.

I think this change is needed. People are getting so good at shooting 3s that it's the most efficient shot in the game outside of a couple feet. It's not hard enough to be worth one and a half baskets. It needs to be that hard , so they should move the line back to the point where it is that hard.

Globetrotters have been doing this for a bit ...

CcRtGoNUkAEEhhp.jpg

Took my kid to see them in Cedar Rapids earlier this year, and they had that 4-point shot. Even these guys, who practice it all the time, didn't make that many of them. Maybe college ball should do it. Players would probably shoot 10% from there, but it would be a blast when they do make one. :)

Took my kid to see them in Cedar Rapids earlier this year, and they had that 4-point shot. Even these guys, who practice it all the time, didn't make that many of them. Maybe college ball should do it. Players would probably shoot 10% from there, but it would be a blast when they do make one. :)

Hell, why not? 'Down by 4, he lets it fly from half court..... and it's good, and he's fouled!"

I hope this is a joke, especially coming from someone that is discouraging minor changes for a gigantic one.

Complete joke. I detest the concept of change because of the mentality that people are getting too good at something therefore change is needed.

I think this change is needed. People are getting so good at shooting 3s that it's the most efficient shot in the game outside of a couple feet. It's not hard enough to be worth one and a half baskets. It needs to be that hard , so they should move the line back to the point where it is that hard.

I totally understand this, but don't see this as a logical reason to change the rules of the game. To me it's illogical and bad for sports, because it's changing rules to address an issue that could be addressed by the opposition. Both teams are capable of hitting threes as well as defending the three. It's not something that is being looked into for the purpose of player safety or fixing/replacing a gray area in the rule book. It just blows my mind that players have become "too good" at something therefore it's time to make a change.

I totally understand this, but don't see this as a logical reason to change the rules of the game. To me it's illogical and bad for sports, because it's changing rules to address an issue that could be addressed by the opposition. Both teams are capable of hitting threes as well as defending the three. It's not something that is being looked into for the purpose of player safety or fixing/replacing a gray area in the rule book. It just blows my mind that players have become "too good" at something therefore it's time to make a change.

If humans end up 9' tall, they would look silly playing on 10' rims. Times change. People change. Rules need to change.

If humans end up 9' tall, they would look silly playing on 10' rims. Times change. People change. Rules need to change.

If/when humans end up 9' tall I'll agree that maybe the rims should probably be adjusted. But this isn't a change being brought upon by evolution. This is a change brought upon by players being "too good", which last I knew was the purpose of spending countless hours in the gym shooting thousands of jumpers a week to separate oneself from good players. There's no competitive disadvantage as all teams have perimeter shooters and benefit from the three and have the ability to defend the perimeter. I see it as an inability to adjust defensively and not a situation which needs to be addressed by changing the rule.

If 3 pt. percentages would drop drastically down the road (which I strongly doubt they ever would) would they move the line back in? If a trend develops in which free throw percentages drop will they move the stripe in? I'm not trying to be a smart ass about this I just think the sport will continue to evolve and don't think moving the three point line back further is the right response.

I've been hoping they'd do this. The way it has been, any big man can step out and knock down treys. I want the 3-pt shot to be a premium shot. It should be for teams' top shooters. I want it to be tougher for a guy like Garza to make it.

If/when humans end up 9' tall I'll agree that maybe the rims should probably be adjusted. But this isn't a change being brought upon by evolution. This is a change brought upon by players being "too good", which last I knew was the purpose of spending countless hours in the gym shooting thousands of jumpers a week to separate oneself from good players. There's no competitive disadvantage as all teams have perimeter shooters and benefit from the three and have the ability to defend the perimeter. I see it as an inability to adjust defensively and not a situation which needs to be addressed by changing the rule.

If 3 pt. percentages would drop drastically down the road (which I strongly doubt they ever would) would they move the line back in? If a trend develops in which free throw percentages drop will they move the stripe in? I'm not trying to be a smart ass about this I just think the sport will continue to evolve and don't think moving the three point line back further is the right response.

I see now where some company is manufacturing "smart" golf clubs, drivers etc... OMG! Pretty soon we won't need humans to participate in sports in person anymore