3-Point Line Moved Back

If my math is correct, they are moving the line back 16 & 3/4 inches. Last time they changed it was 12 inches. It'll be interesting to see what this does for shooting percentages and floor spacing.

Also somewhat overshadowed in that article was the change to now allow coaches to call live ball timeouts in the last 2 minutes of a game as well as OT and the shot clock resetting to just 20 seconds after an offensive rebound.

If my math is correct, they are moving the line back 16 & 3/4 inches. Last time they changed it was 12 inches. It'll be interesting to see what this does for shooting percentages and floor spacing.

Also somewhat overshadowed in that article was the change to now allow coaches to call live ball timeouts in the last 2 minutes of a game as well as OT and the shot clock resetting to just 20 seconds after an offensive rebound.

The extended three point line and shot clock resetting to 20 seconds were both experimented with in the 2019 NIT.

I think they should have four- and five-point lines set up behind the 3. Have dudes chucking it up from just over half-court.

Globetrotters have been doing this for a bit ...

CcRtGoNUkAEEhhp.jpg

Yes. I remember JJ had big range. I didn't know the Globetrotters did that. I'd be OK with a four-point line at 35 feet.

I don’t think you’ll see any significant difference.

I saw that Purdue’s sports information guy said that of 365 threes made last year, 3 were inside the new distance vs old.

Globetrotters have been doing this for a bit ...

CcRtGoNUkAEEhhp.jpg

I had one of those red white and blue ABA balls growing up. It was cool to watch the rotation on them as they spun toward the basket.

They could still be useful today in teaching proper rotation at shooting camps. Off course it was better to simply watch someone like Julius Erving or Dan Issel or Larry Kenon shoot them. Or the immortal Roger Brown.

I don’t think you’ll see any significant difference.

I saw that Purdue’s sports information guy said that of 365 threes made last year, 3 were inside the new distance vs old.

Hmm maybe I'm not understanding what was said but that statement is pretty hard to believe. I mean we're talking over a foot difference here. You're telling me Purdue only made 3 of their 365 threes within 16.75 inches of the 3 point line last season? I mean that's around a whole shoe size behind the line for all but 3 of their made threes. Maybe it was meant to read that only 3 threes made would be considered a three if the new line was in play last season? That still wouldn't seem right but would be slightly more believable.

Hmm maybe I'm not understanding what was said but that statement is pretty hard to believe. I mean we're talking over a foot difference here. You're telling me Purdue only made 3 of their 365 threes within 16.75 inches of the 3 point line last season? I mean that's around a whole shoe size behind the line for all but 3 of their made threes. Maybe it was meant to read that only 3 threes made would be considered a three if the new line was in play last season? That still wouldn't seem right but would be slightly more believable.

You're right that that would be more believable, but no way either are correct. Moss put is foot on a line that was visible more than 3 times last year. No way out of 365 tries did the players not "accidentally" be closer than 16 inches away from the line.

You're right that that would be more believable, but no way either are correct. Moss put is foot on a line that was visible more than 3 times last year. No way out of 365 tries did the players not "accidentally" be closer than 16 inches away from the line.

Exactly. No way that stat can be correct either way you try and interpret it.

Exactly. No way that stat can be correct either way you try and interpret it.

If someone set the over/under at half of 365 being within the new 3 point line, I would put my money on over. 182.5 is a lot more than 3 and I would still feel good about my bet.

They're doing it wrong. Rather than moving it back let's create parity rather than punishing those individuals that excelled by moving the line back even further, lets just reward everyone by removing the three point arc all together and anything inside the lane is worth two and anything outside is worth 3.

I simply don't understand why they have to constantly change things.