#3 Iowa - Maryland Game Thread

I was keeping count, and it was 8 layups missed: 2 by Clark, 2 by Stuelke, and 4 by others. And they still scored 52 pts in the 1st half. If they would have made all those gimmes, they literally would have put up 68 pts in the half!

That's fine. Schuelke was not very good in the early going of the first half.
Good they switched her out with Stuelke who came in and had a much better game later.

In the last six games Clark is averaging over 36 points per game. She missed at least four shots right at the rim. Should have scored 46 or more. That 51 points Gus was talking about was definitely within reach. Anyone else catch him replacing the o in shot with an i after Caitlin blocked a shot? He corrected himself but he’s likely gonna hear from the FCC.
Oh yeah. I heard him say "she got her shit blocked". :) Gus was enjoying the game no doubt. The 51-point stuff was getting old, but we all do something that others get tired of fast.

Molly Davis said after the game: "I think we need to get Gus on the call a little bit more."

When Maryland went on that run in the third quarter I thought Bluder should have called a time out when the lead dwindled to 10. Maryland had 4 players in the painted area to keep Iowa from penetrating and dared Iowa to shoot from distance. Unfortunately the shots were not falling. On the offensive end Maryland was allowed to play very physical on the drives to the basket. Marshall complained about the push offs by those she was guarding. I think Maryland style of play is closer to the style played in the SEC. Iowa showed a lot of poise when they fell behind in the 3rd quarter.

Stuelke struggled on offense, but her rebounding and defense were good. It may be that she is rushing her shots. Her free throw shooting needs to improve. In the OSU game she was 1 of 4 at a crucial time in the game. She is a sophomore so she still gaining experience. O'Grady played well against Maryland. I really like Affolder's play. She would be starting on most teams.

When Maryland went on that run in the third quarter I thought Bluder should have called a time out when the lead dwindled to 10. Maryland had 4 players in the painted area to keep Iowa from penetrating and dared Iowa to shoot from distance. Unfortunately the shots were not falling. On the offensive end Maryland was allowed to play very physical on the drives to the basket. Marshall complained about the push offs by those she was guarding. I think Maryland style of play is closer to the style played in the SEC. Iowa showed a lot of poise when they fell behind in the 3rd quarter.

Stuelke struggled on offense, but her rebounding and defense were good. It may be that she is rushing her shots. Her free throw shooting needs to improve. In the OSU game she was 1 of 4 at a crucial time in the game. She is a sophomore so she still gaining experience. O'Grady played well against Maryland. I really like Affolder's play. She would be starting on most teams.

She seems to hurry her shots under the basket

And miss a few bunnies

That will correct itself in time

The coaching staff is more than likely working on it

She will be essential in the BIG Tournament and The Dance

O'Grady has certainly improved and is an able substitute for Hannah

Love Affolter, and she deserves more minutes

Could start her instead of Gabbie but Gabbie is essential on D and she is
certainly game savvy

Plus when she makes her first three, it is lights out for the rest of the game

She seems to hurry her shots under the basket

And miss a few bunnies

That will correct itself in time

The coaching staff is more than likely working on it

She will be essential in the BIG Tournament and The Dance

O'Grady has certainly improved and is an able substitute for Hannah

Love Affolter, and she deserves more minutes

Could start her instead of Gabbie but Gabbie is essential on D and she is
certainly game savvy

Plus when she makes her first three, it is lights out for the rest of the game

I really know so little about actual basketball. Yah...sure...I helped coach a team. The lowest level of a youth CYC rec league. Basically I was wild cat herder and clock watcher for the head coach to make sure everyone got equal playing time.

I can tell when someone is good like Clark. Or when Hannah sneaks in. But I know little about fundamentals. To judge players, I have to go by a 10,000 foot view and look at things kinda from a different angle.

When I think of Marshall, sure...it seams to take a bit into the season before she's hitting them. I don't see her with tons of steals (although she does force em now and again).

But one thing I never see... Is Marshall getting beat. Or terribly out of position leaving someone open. Seems like she's on people...with her hands up (one of the few things I learned to teach the kids)...and she's on them like stink on fish as soon as they get within a few feet of the arc. Without fail. Every time. No matter how good their transition is. I think she's often way more important than she gets credit for. Gives them time to actually play defense.

To borrow a well known Iowa coaching phrase....complimentary basketball.