3 hawks in first 34 nfl draft picks

This helps explain why the 2021 Iowa team that won 10 games did not have as many draft picks as you would think. 4 really good players (including Moss whe went in 3rd round) were still a year away to enter the draft.

That should help recruiting and maybe portal. Get to work quickly please
But it might not necessarily.

See women's BB thread "Bluder Blew It"

These kids have so many "advisors" and hanger ons and AAU talking heads and HUDL highlights and social media sites kissing their asses that they believe they can make it with any team, any style and any coaching.

That should help recruiting and maybe portal. Get to work quickly please
I think the only thing it’s helped this staff, through the years, is tight end recruitment. To a smaller degree, db recruiting for parker. Iowa has been more of a developmental school for the lines.

I think the only thing it’s helped this staff, through the years, is tight end recruitment. To a smaller degree, db recruiting for parker. Iowa has been more of a developmental school for the lines.
You would think, but that hasn't necessarily been the case.

Iowa has missed out on several TE recruits high on the board over the last several years. Just recently, they lost a couple to PSU and one to Notre Dame (Eli Raridon, despite being a local product).

Same with OL. Despite KF's reputation and placement of linemen into the NFL, it really has never materialized much in recruiting, and, you can bet that it's not getting better with the recent line play.

Those trying to analyze it have given numerous theories about it (e.g., Raridon reportedly grew up a Notre Dame fan...), but it remains perplexing. Recruiting is a fickle process.

You would think, but that hasn't necessarily been the case.

Iowa has missed out on several TE recruits high on the board over the last several years. Just recently, they lost a couple to PSU and one to Notre Dame (Eli Raridon, despite being a local product).

Same with OL. Despite KF's reputation and placement of linemen into the NFL, it really has never materialized much in recruiting, and, you can bet that it's not getting better with the recent line play.

Those trying to analyze it have given numerous theories about it (e.g., Raridon reportedly grew up a Notre Dame fan...), but it remains perplexing. Recruiting is a fickle process.
With Eli, it could be nothing more than the Raridon clan having no connection to Iowa. Has there ever been anyone in that family, even a grandfather or uncle who played for Iowa? Gonna be a tough sell to even stay in the state for anyone with that surname. Otherwise, why would any kid who's a highly rated in-state TE recruit look elsewhere?

With Eli, it could be nothing more than the Raridon clan having no connection to Iowa. Has there ever been anyone in that family, even a grandfather or uncle who played for Iowa? Gonna be a tough sell to even stay in the state for anyone with that surname. Otherwise, why would any kid who's a highly rated in-state TE recruit look elsewhere?
That's kind of my point. In every situation where Iowa lost out on it's top-rated TE recruits, an argument could be made that there was a legitmate explanation. Nevertheless, despite our NFL success and reputation, we haven't been the lightening rod for TE recruits that one would expect.

That's kind of my point. In every situation where Iowa lost out on it's top-rated TE recruits, an argument could be made that there was a legitmate explanation. Nevertheless, despite our NFL success and reputation, we haven't been the lightening rod for TE recruits that one would expect.
While we have missed on some targets at TE, you can't argue with the success we've seen on the field. Laporta was, I believe, the second TE taken in the draft this year? If our TE play had digressed then missing on targets would be a bigger issue. But we haven't suffered there. And some of the targets we've missed on have not had the careers that our TE's have.

I always wonder if our staff likes someone better than others and recruits them harder. I realize that's obvious, but if there's a low 3 star that they project as being better than a 4 star, they certainly wouldn't recruit the 4 star simply because of the stars. We always get caught up in that stuff (myself included) because it's all we have. We always look at the guys we missed, but are they players we really went after. There may be offers to the 4 star guys, but they may not be pushing like they might be pushing other guys. I really don't know how it works, but one thing we can all agree on about our coaches is that they can evaluate talent.

I'm sure there are a lot of posts like this with a lot of recruits, but here's what a couple of posters thought about DeJean when he committed.

Thank god we landed an in state FS. Thought we ran out of that slow white dude
Im a cynic when it comes to Iowa and their penchant for picking up Iowa bred FSs. It seems like we have a tradition of just recruiting Iowa guys to play FS.

I always wonder if our staff likes someone better than others and recruits them harder. I realize that's obvious, but if there's a low 3 star that they project as being better than a 4 star, they certainly wouldn't recruit the 4 star simply because of the stars. We always get caught up in that stuff (myself included) because it's all we have. We always look at the guys we missed, but are they players we really went after. There may be offers to the 4 star guys, but they may not be pushing like they might be pushing other guys. I really don't know how it works, but one thing we can all agree on about our coaches is that they can evaluate talent.

I'm sure there are a lot of posts like this with a lot of recruits, but here's what a couple of posters thought about DeJean when he committed.

re: DeJean, all you needed to do was watch 30 seconds of his HS basketball highlights to know that was a ridiculous take at the time.

I’m not sure what we are doing. We need wr and o line. We don’t need all American wr but serviceable and I’d think we could get an OL at least. I’m hoping they are just keeping it quiet. We need to get a bit more help. There are decent cb and lb we could add for depth too. You’d think at least on defense we could add some talent.

yeah, enjoy Cooper, he's not long for Iowa City....and just be honest, that's a great thing, not a bad thing.

I’m not sure what we are doing. We need wr and o line. We don’t need all American wr but serviceable and I’d think we could get an OL at least. I’m hoping they are just keeping it quiet. We need to get a bit more help. There are decent cb and lb we could add for depth too. You’d think at least on defense we could add some talent.
Iowa is stacked at CB and LB, they signed a 4 Star WR from TOSU, signed Seth Anderson, who was the Big South's Offensive Freshman of the year.

They signed an All ACC Linebacker and 2 OL portal transfers. one who looks like he might start.

The internet is a big place, all ya gotta do is type into it and look things up.

Iowa is stacked at CB and LB, they signed a 4 Star WR from TOSU, signed Seth Anderson, who was the Big South's Offensive Freshman of the year.

They signed an All ACC Linebacker and 2 OL portal transfers. one who looks like he might start.

The internet is a big place, all ya gotta do is type into it and look things up.
Seth Anderson is the type of player that could really surprise.

Regardless of what happens this season, we have to tip our collective hat to the staff for scoring in the portal. I'm not sure any fan actually thought we would be that successful. We'll see if it pays off. Offensive line play will be the key.

Seth Anderson is the type of player that could really surprise.

Regardless of what happens this season, we have to tip our collective hat to the staff for scoring in the portal. I'm not sure any fan actually thought we would be that successful. We'll see if it pays off. Offensive line play will be the key.

And he was a HS wrestler! Pefect fit for Iowa.

Looking at the NFL Mock Draft Database's rankings for all positions, I was surprised to see him ranked this high. He's certainly shown flashes when playing on the IOL, but wasn't expecting this. Also, DeJean is 28th and Taylor is 79th.

Screenshot 2023-05-07 at 9.51.48 PM.png

Latest posts