$3.5 Million per year to get Pearl?

jsmhawk

If Barta offers this to Pearl, would he pass it up? Would this make sense financially for the U of I? I for one think it would. We have the Big Ten network revenue, a big up-tick in booster money and packed house at Carver. Not to mention we actually would be worth putting on CBS, ESPN just because of Pearl and the Awesome Gold sport jackets he would be wearing. Hawkeye basketball shirts and jerseys would actually sell and season ticket sales would go way up. The die hard fans will be thrilled and the apathetic fans will be back on the wagon. The huge contract would be well worth it and fans would not resent the huge salary if it meant we have a winner to watch in the winter. I say offer him $3.5 million per for 7 years and get him here!

I think this is the minimum starting point for him to even take the call...

I think it is this, plus huge pay increases for his staff

Plus, contractual financial commitments from the AD on continual facility upgrades

And maybe that gives us a 10% chance...

As for is it worth it, the answer is of course yes it is.

I think this is the minimum starting point for him to even take the call...

I think it is this, plus huge pay increases for his staff

Plus, contractual financial commitments from the AD on continual facility upgrades

And maybe that gives us a 10% chance...

As for is it worth it, the answer is of course yes it is.

Iowa is not going from 1.2 million to 3.5 million and Pearl isn't coming....

GiVE IT UP!

I believe 100% that if Pearl called up Iowa and said 3.5 MM for 7 years and I'm in Iowa City, the check would be cut.

I believe that there is a 5-10% chance that if Barta offered that to Pearl, that he would take it.

Iowa is not going from 1.2 million to 3.5 million and Pearl isn't coming....

GiVE IT UP!

I'm sorry, didn't Barta just say recently that money is not an option? He'll spend whatever he needs to in order to get the right guy, because if he flops on this hire, he'll be following that man through the door in a few years. And boosters will be willing to spend that kind of money, don't doubt it for a second.

Umm, I hate to be the voice of reason here, but Iowa is not going to pay it's basketball coach more than they pay their football coach. So not only would Iowa have to pay Lick's 2.4 million, but add in Pearl's buyout (approx 2.5 million I have heard) plus the 3.5 million in salary which would immediately trigger a re-negotiation of the captain's contract. It just isn't going to happen. I know Barta said money is not going to be an issue, but you have to be realistic. There is a limit to what the University can afford.

Even if we pay this amount there is no way the B-Ball coach is going to be paid more than our football coach. Get real. So that means KF will need an immediate bump to 4 mill plus. This is on top of the Lick buyout also. What's the true cost of Pearl then ?

Then there's the matter of how to manage growth in his salary down the line and a buyout in the event that he fails to deliver.

I like Pearl very much but financially this does not make sense.

Even if we pay this amount there is no way the B-Ball coach is going to be paid more than our football coach. Get real. So that means KF will need an immediate bump to 4 mill plus. This is on top of the Lick buyout also. What's the true cost of Pearl then ?

Then there's the matter of how to manage growth in his salary down the line and a buyout in the event that he fails to deliver.

I like Pearl very much but financially this does not make sense.

Has Barta gotten a hold of Obamas money printing press?

Umm, I hate to be the voice of reason here, but Iowa is not going to pay it's basketball coach more than they pay their football coach. So not only would Iowa have to pay Lick's 2.4 million, but add in Pearl's buyout (approx 2.5 million I have heard) plus the 3.5 million in salary which would immediately trigger a re-negotiation of the captain's contract. It just isn't going to happen. I know Barta said money is not going to be an issue, but you have to be realistic. There is a limit to what the University can afford.

Sure there are limits to what they can afford. But there is no clause written into Ferentz's contract saying he has to be the highest-paid coach on campus, is there? If not, then I don't see why we can't pay Pearl more than KF. It's a longshot (I don't think it will happen), but Pearl would be worth it. And Ferentz doesn't seem the type to throw a fit just because someone is making more money than he is.

And Pearl's buyout may not be $2.5 million. Maybe I misread, but that contract went into effect in the spring of 2008, correct? At the end of year 4 of that deal, the buyout is only $1 million. So I'm assuming it decreases by $500k every year, which would make it $1.5 million right now. Maybe I'm off on those numbers a bit, but I doubt it's still $2.5 million.

Sure there are limits to what they can afford. But there is no clause written into Ferentz's contract saying he has to be the highest-paid coach on campus, is there? If not, then I don't see why we can't pay Pearl more than KF. It's a longshot (I don't think it will happen), but Pearl would be worth it. And Ferentz doesn't seem the type to throw a fit just because someone is making more money than he is.

Wow,,, I can't believe you believe this. It does matter not only to KF but on the principal of achievement at Iowa. If we tank our one shinning program over the basketball coach the entire ship will sink.

Wow,,, I can't believe you believe this. It does matter not only to KF but on the principal of achievement at Iowa. If we tank our one shinning program over the basketball coach the entire ship will sink.

Ferentz isn't the type to say "I want more money than that guy". He goes miles for his assistants, but he seems a bit too grounded to demand more money just because Bruce Pearl might make more. Besides, I don't think Pearl is coming anyway. And he is the ONLY coach that I would try to argue in favor of paying that much.

I'm going to back you here SpecialK....

I think Ferentz could go to Barta and say here is the money I make for the athletic department from the football program compared to the basketball program...

It doesn't matter who is the coach of Iowa bball... they won't bring as much money in as the football program.

I think Ferentz could go to Barta and say here is the money I make for the athletic department from the football program compared to the basketball program...

It doesn't matter who is the coach of Iowa bball... they won't bring as much money in as the football program.

I'm very well aware of the fact that Ferentz COULD do that. But I'm not so sure that he WOULD do that. It just doesn't seem like his style.

Although I can't spell we can definitely agree on this. Excellent point.

I'm very well aware of the fact that Ferentz COULD do that. But I'm not so sure that he WOULD do that. It just doesn't seem like his style.

I understand Ferentz is a classy guy... but c'mon

Nobody in any job is going to accept less pay when they are bringing in twice the money and sit back another employee make more money.

Would you?

$3.5 Million would make him the second highest paid coach in the game?

Is he the second best coach in the game?

No, but at this point we're going to have to overpay to get what we want, because the job just isn't that attractive right now.

Latest posts