247 sports thinks Hawks a darkhorse contender for......

yeah, but I was old enough to cry that day!
I was in the parking lot of a fitness center getting ready to work out after work. They hit the shot just as I was pulling in. I sat there dumbfounded in the parking lot for fifteen, twenty minutes and just stared at the dashboard and listened to postgame. Listening to Dolph try to explain what happened finally got me to get out of the car.

I've talked about how it was like the Cap One bowl in reverse. Some have said it was worse than that and they could be right. We knew the football season was ending one way or another. Losing that way in the opening round of the NCAA'S is even more dramatic and shocking.

None, but it was also harder to get into the NCAA tourney back in the day for smaller schools. And he did well at Long Beach State so he probably could have been in there (not saying Final four level). It only took Lute 6 years at Iowa to get to the Final Four. Five years to make the NCAAs.

Far more successful early on than Fran.

And what he inherited was nothing close to the dismal inheritance left to Fran by Lick. Lute is definitely a better coach, but it's also not much of a fair comparison.

The problem is there's no such thing as a tangible run baring something miraculous. You think fans are going to give a rip about a sweet 16 if we make it? Sweet 16 don't mean shit to anyone other than Iowa fans who think they are something special because of the drought we've gone through. The second that drought is over, a sweet 16 won't mean shit to Iowa fans either. The bar will just move one rung higher and fans will talk how Fran has peaked and he can't get anything tangible like an elite 8.

Fans will care if they make a sweet 16. Sweet 16s are going to hold tangible cash. Winning the Big Ten is going to hold tangible cash. Being a consistent NCAA team is going to hold tangible cash. Sure, expectations will rise over time, but we are talking about the next logical progression in where Fran needs to go. In his 10th season, that remains to be seen if we hit that next level of progression. Maybe the tide is turning, but we shall see.

As it is, it has been a rollercoaster only to see Iowa rise and fall and at its highest level at the end of the year being 2nd round fodder for a blue blood. Then rinse and repeat.

Far, far, far more fans will be on his side (IMHO) if we establish are ourselves as consistently being a part of the NCAA tournament and we have a few good tangible faith runs to show for it. At least that will give the masses the faith that we can be a consistent winner and put ourselves in the position where we have a chance to go far in the tournament.

And what he inherited was nothing close to the dismal inheritance left to Fran by Lick. Lute is definitely a better coach, but it's also not much of a fair comparison.
Agreed, but nonetheless, Lute earned his keep. I think Fran did in the first act digging the program out of the ground. Now, the question is how much rope do we continue to give Fran for the Alford/Lick messes? I think it is his program now and its his challenge to keep this program in the NCAAs virtually year in and year out and making a nice run every now and then (and the first Sweet 16 run will be the first Sweet 16 run for him at Iowa) like the most successful coaches at Iowa have done in the past. If not, that first act is going to feel more and more hollow.

I just think he needs to show us something more and he may very well be on the path to doing it next year (or even this year yet).

If not, my fear is we are going to be a program that takes 2 or 3 years to just become fodder for a blue blood in the 2nd round. Mostly in a rebuild, a rollercoaster to get to a level that Mr. Davis had us in almost every year he was here. It is these cycles that allow apathy to fester.

I think a Sweet 16 run, a conference title, is like having quality wins building your case for making the NCAAs. These types of achievements are quality wins for his resume and he does not have them in his 10th season at Iowa. I think these things would go a long way to building faith that we can be more than fodder for blue bloods every 2 to 3 years.

I don't think I'm being harsh here. Mr. Davis was able to keep his program in the NCAA spotlight. Lisa Bluder is doing it with the women. Iowa has the basketball history in it's men's program to be there.

To be clear, we are in a better place than we were with Lick (probably Alford to). But, I'm still not convinced we are a program that is consistently on the same footing Mr. Davis had us on. And, let's not forget, Mr. Davis was shown the door (I did not agree with that by the way) at the level. And we are on the 10th season of Fran still trying to establish ourselves.

Last edited:
Agreed, but nonetheless, Lute earned his keep. I think Fran did in the first act digging the program out of the ground. Now, the question is how much rope do we continue to give Fran for the Alford/Lick messes? I think it is his program now and its his challenge to keep this program in the NCAAs virtually year in and year out and making a nice run every now and then (and the first Sweet 16 run will be the first Sweet 16 run for him at Iowa) like the most successful coaches at Iowa have done in the past. If not, that first act is going to feel more and more hollow.

I just think he needs to show us something more and he may very well be on the path to doing it next year (or even this year yet).

If not, my fear is we are going to be a program that takes 2 or 3 years to just become fodder for a blue blood in the 2nd round. Mostly in a rebuild, a rollercoaster to get to a level that Mr. Davis had us in almost every year he was here. It is these cycles that allow apathy to fester.

I think a Sweet 16 run, a conference title, is like having quality wins building your case for making the NCAAs. These types of achievements are quality wins for his resume and he does not have them in his 10th season at Iowa. I think these things would go a long way to building faith that we can be more than fodder for blue bloods every 2 to 3 years.

I don't think I'm being harsh here. Mr. Davis was able to keep his program in the NCAA spotlight. Lisa Bluder is doing it with the women. Iowa has the basketball history in it's men's program to be there.

To be clear, we are in a better place than we were with Lick (probably Alford to). But, I'm still not convinced we are a program that is consistently on the same footing Mr. Davis had us on. And, let's not forget, Mr. Davis was shown the door (I did not agree with that by the way) at the level. And we are on the 10th season of Fran still trying to establish ourselves.
I think the problem with your post is you admit the Lick years were an issue early in his career, but at the same time, sight 10 years in your posts. I agree that it's his program now and Lick has nothing to do with the present, but it does have something to do with the past that you keep sighting.

Its been said on here repeatedly that Davis took his teams to the NCAA 2 out of every 3 years. well over the last 6 years, that's exactly what Davis has done. As far as the future goes, Fran has us in prime position to make the tournament these next two years.

If you truly believe that following Lick was an obstacle to overcome, you really need to stop talking about 10 years. Just say the program needed to be stronger over the last 6 years. Most will agree with that anyway.

I think the problem with your post is you admit the Lick years were an issue early in his career, but at the same time, sight 10 years in your posts. I agree that it's his program now and Lick has nothing to do with the present, but it does have something to do with the past that you keep sighting.

Its been said on here repeatedly that Davis took his teams to the NCAA 2 out of every 3 years. well over the last 6 years, that's exactly what Davis has done. As far as the future goes, Fran has us in prime position to make the tournament these next two years.

If you truly believe that following Lick was an obstacle to overcome, you really need to stop talking about 10 years. Just say the program needed to be stronger over the last 6 years. Most will agree with that anyway.[/QUOTE]

I can buy that, the bolded part. The good news, I think Fran could shore up this argument really quick this year or next.

I think so too. But knowing Iowa basketball, something will go wrong.

Yeah like Garza going pro after this season. At that point our post position play is going to be really weak, unless Nunge comes unshackled. I am hoping Garza returns and that Nunge explodes onto the scene and picks up after Garza is gone the year after. Is there a big I am overlooking for next season?

I agree with most of your post, but I will say that four star recruits don't care what happened at Iowa before they were born. Mr. Davis's success is absolutely relevant to fans and the school, but it probably doesn't matter to the players that can take Iowa to the sweet 16 and beyond. I could be wrong, but what happened a generation ago might not matter these days.

I agree with most of your post, but I will say that four star recruits don't care what happened at Iowa before they were born. Mr. Davis's success is absolutely relevant to fans and the school, but it probably doesn't matter to the players that can take Iowa to the sweet 16 and beyond. I could be wrong, but what happened a generation ago might not matter these days.

In that sense, though, even Alford happened "a generation ago". But that's the problem: no current recruit has any real notion of the Alford years. But the Lick years can STILL be cited "against" Iowa with potential recruits. Maybe not as effectively as five years ago, but a kid can have an older sibling/relative/friend that played against the Lick teams. I'm not sure how long it takes to overcome that.

Lickliter made two sweet 16 appearances. Steve Alford has made a Sweet 16. People can add that to the discussion of the Sweet 16.

I think making the Sweet 16 is a big thing. It doesn't feel like that is out of reach at this moment. One shot can be the difference between a first round loss or final four. Happens every year. Small margin of error once in the tournament. Having the right players is everything to me at that time of year. We seem to have some of those players right now.

It feels like some fans are just waiting for the next loss to be able to get back on the Anti Fran train. If people don't respect the job the coaching staff and team has done so far then they aren't watching with their eyes open. I've been fine with people criticizing his recruiting and defense in the past, but now isn't the time to speak up. Let the season play out and if we fail down the stretch then the criticism is valid.

Enjoy the success while it is happening. The season is far from over, but to not be excited about people talking about Iowa is insane to me. We have a legit All American on our team that gives us a chance every night. Again, enjoy the ride while we are flying high. We will lose again and it won't be jump off the cliff time with this team. Just please don't be against Wiscy tonight.

Lickliter made two sweet 16 appearances. Steve Alford has made a Sweet 16. People can add that to the discussion of the Sweet 16.

I think making the Sweet 16 is a big thing. It doesn't feel like that is out of reach at this moment. One shot can be the difference between a first round loss or final four. Happens every year. Small margin of error once in the tournament. Having the right players is everything to me at that time of year. We seem to have some of those players right now.

It feels like some fans are just waiting for the next loss to be able to get back on the Anti Fran train. If people don't respect the job the coaching staff and team has done so far then they aren't watching with their eyes open. I've been fine with people criticizing his recruiting and defense in the past, but now isn't the time to speak up. Let the season play out and if we fail down the stretch then the criticism is valid.

Enjoy the success while it is happening. The season is far from over, but to not be excited about people talking about Iowa is insane to me. We have a legit All American on our team that gives us a chance every night. Again, enjoy the ride while we are flying high. We will lose again and it won't be jump off the cliff time with this team. Just please don't be against Wiscy tonight.

Yep, Michigan made the Sweet 16 (and ultimately made the Final) two years ago because of this shot ...

In that sense, though, even Alford happened "a generation ago". But that's the problem: no current recruit has any real notion of the Alford years. But the Lick years can STILL be cited "against" Iowa with potential recruits. Maybe not as effectively as five years ago, but a kid can have an older sibling/relative/friend that played against the Lick teams. I'm not sure how long it takes to overcome that.

I think the horrible season a couple years ago was 3/4 on Fran and 1/4 on the Lick years. He failed bad in the recruiting classes that were juniors and seniors that year. That is partially due to it still being pretty fresh off those Lick years. Having bad upperclassmen that year killed us, but it didn't have to get THAT bad. That part was entirely on Fran.

Point is, we weren't entirely out of the Lick years two years ago. Fortunately Fran righted the ship fast and has a team that should be pretty good for a couple more years at least. So I'd say from now on, its 100% on Fran. I don't think that was the case even 2 years ago. He's had Iowa in a pretty good place for 7 years now. That would make future recruits 10.

Latest posts