2021-2022

HuckFinn

Just read a couple of articles about Iowa's next season. I focused on some possible starting line ups since that was discussed in the articles at some length. We have talked a lot about the wing players and how we did not match up well with Oregon in those spots. So, here is my view about next year...

Joe Wieskamp 6'6'-6'7'
Keegan Murray 6'8'
Kris Murray 6'8'
Patrick Mac 6'9'
Payton Sandfort 6'7'-6'8'

That appears to me to be a pretty athletic group who can get to the rim and score from outside. Also pretty good on D. Much different on paper than Oregon?

Then point/shooting guards who are better defensively...Joe T, CJ, Tony P, Ahron Ulis

Hopefully Nunge will recover successfully and Josh O will develop. Also we are looking at transfer portal for a big.

Yeah. Long way to go, but I kind of like the possibilities.

Last edited:
Oops. As OKeefe reminded me, my thread should have been 21-22. Fixed.

Last edited:
Next year's team is interesting to me we will be more athletic. If we can get another big man and a score guard look out. Has anyone watch payton Sandford play i saw him state championship game he had a bad game. He still was all state in the tournament

Yepper keep swing it was a long time for the cubs to win it all but they did . so keep hating the hawks I will still love the hawkeyes

We gotta stop comparing Iowa to Oregon, Oregon shot way over their heads and did not play a first round game. A healthy Fredrick, Wieskamp, and CMac would have made that game much more competitive.
And the fact those guys weren't themselves greatly impacted JBOs game as the attention got more focused on him. Guessing that had to be Oregon's best game of the year, else they would have been highly ranked playing like that.

Next year's team won't have luxury of having a defender doubling up on the post and leaving them open. Also Wisey(if he comes back) will draw main attention as primary scorer.

We gotta stop comparing Iowa to Oregon, Oregon shot way over their heads and did not play a first round game. A healthy Fredrick, Wieskamp, and CMac would have made that game much more competitive.
Right, You just can't jump to conclusions, you have to consider all the factors here. It could be that they're worn out from the last half of the B1G season and BTT? It could be injuries that the players have. Jabo got slapped by a guard in the face. It looked like a hard hit. Jabo was probably dealing with headaches maybe after that happened? I remembered CJ was dealing with the lower leg extremity. Remember Kevin Ware from Kentucky. We don't want that to happen to CJ and Joeweezy having hip problems. These are very talented players that can put the Ducks to bed. None of it is Fran's fault. Coaching is like a game of chess rather than in 5D. Fran is getting to be good at it.

Rumor has it that Fran is recruiting Clark on the women's team. She's proven she can get her team into the Sweet 16.
She's amazing... I mean holy crap. 6' with a handle. Steph Curry range and a great passer. She's the best player in womens hoops. True freshman. Unreal. Single handedly has Iowa relevant. To go from Megan G to her is pretty darn crazy. Imagine if they had overlapped and got to play together...

Love
She's amazing... I mean holy crap. 6' with a handle. Steph Curry range and a great passer. She's the best player in womens hoops. True freshman. Unreal. Single handedly has Iowa relevant. To go from Megan G to her is pretty darn crazy. Imagine if they had overlapped and got to play together...
Love to see 3 pt contest between her and JBO. i think a better passer than JBO. If she had Megan G like JBO has Garza.

We were outscored 39-35 the second half

Couldn't overcome that late first-half outburst

The outscored us 56-46 the first half

Couple of TOs might have helped

Nonetheless, I am looking forward to a possible Gonzaga-Oregon game

Off to the races

I do want Loyola Chicago the cut the nets down in the Championship game

We were outscored 39-35 the second half

Couldn't overcome that late first-half outburst

The outscored us 56-46 the first half

Couple of TOs might have helped

Nonetheless, I am looking forward to a possible Gonzaga-Oregon game

Off to the races

I do want Loyola Chicago the cut the nets down in the Championship game
They outscored us 10-0 in the last 2 minutes of the first half. That was the game. Would have been close at the end if we played them even those 2 minutes.

They outscored us 10-0 in the last 2 minutes of the first half. That was the game. Would have been close at the end if we played them even those 2 minutes.

And getting behind by 10 right at the end of the first half put pressure on the hawks playing great and winning that first 5 minutes of the 2nd half. They played pretty much even in the second half but didnt close the deficit enough and it got out of hand.

Right, You just can't jump to conclusions, you have to consider all the factors here. It could be that they're worn out from the last half of the B1G season and BTT? It could be injuries that the players have. Jabo got slapped by a guard in the face. It looked like a hard hit. Jabo was probably dealing with headaches maybe after that happened? I remembered CJ was dealing with the lower leg extremity. Remember Kevin Ware from Kentucky. We don't want that to happen to CJ and Joeweezy having hip problems. These are very talented players that can put the Ducks to bed. None of it is Fran's fault. Coaching is like a game of chess rather than in 5D. Fran is getting to be good at it.

My only comment is you say you can't jump to conclusions and then throw out a conclusion of your own with regards to JBo's shot to the face in addition to them "being very talented players that can put the Ducks to bed". Oregon just kicked our ass. I don't think we're in a position to say that we had the tools to put them to bed. It's a possibility but you could go the other way as well and say that the injuries had absolutely nothing to do with the beat down. I commented in another thread that I honestly felt we were fortunate it was only a 10 pt. game at the half, because ultimately it was the buzzer that ended their run and not anything we did.

My question would be this...if coaching is a chess match and there is speculation that we don't have the right tools to match up with a team like Oregon, then isn't that partly on Fran? I don't think he deserves the bulk of the blame and feel that it's just as much on the players as it is on the staff, but the coach is the CEO of the program, I simply don't see a scenario in which there is "no" fault.