2019-tourney-beyond podcast

BigD

https://www.hawkeyenation.com/miller-deace/hn-podcast-2019-tourney-beyond

I have got to give it to deace as he has a great understanding of the game. He points out many things I have pointed throughout the season and also many of you. Also Jon too as we all know how we have never had a breakdown big ten quality point guard under Fran. I like how Deace points out how much better Garza plays when Cook not in and how it relates to spacing on the floor. I’ve pointed that out more than once. Good podcast as it points out glaring weaknesses that have kept this program from going to the next level.

Last edited:

I have got to give it to deace as he has a great understanding of the game. He points out many things I have pointed throughout the season and also many of you. Also Jon too as we all know how we have never had a breakdown big ten quality point guard. I like how Deace points out how much better Garza plays when Cook not in and how it relates to spacing on the floor. I’ve pointed that out more than once. Good podcast as it points out glaring weaknesses that have kept this program from going to the next level.

Well ... well ... well ...

Nothing like giving yourself an “atta boy” by giving someone else props ...

;)

I doubt I’ve listened to 3 podcasts in my life. But I thought I’d see what they had to say. Interesting thoughts by both. Of course they are a couple guys with opinions and everybody has one. It’s obvious to most all of us that we need a PG that can get by people and finish or kick it out for an open look from 3.

I may have misunderstood. But I didn’t hear Deace say Cook and Garza shouldn’t be on the floor together. I thought he was saying the offense should run through Garza instead of Cook. And Cook needs to embrace a different role...the one that could get him to the NBA a year from now. However, he does think Iowa is better without Cook if he won’t accept a different role.

I doubt I’ve listened to 3 podcasts in my life. But I thought I’d see what they had to say. Interesting thoughts by both. Of course they are a couple guys with opinions and everybody has one. It’s obvious to most all of us that we need a PG that can get by people and finish or kick it out for an open look from 3.

I may have misunderstood. But I didn’t hear Deace say Cook and Garza shouldn’t be on the floor together. I thought he was saying the offense should run through Garza instead of Cook. And Cook needs to embrace a different role...the one that could get him to the NBA a year from now. However, he does think Iowa is better without Cook if he won’t accept a different role.

Not trying to be that guy, but what role could get Cook into the NBA in a year. I simply don't think he has the skill set to fill that role at this point. I didn't listen to the pod cast so wasn't taking a shot at you, but rather trying to figure that out.

Not trying to be that guy, but what role could get Cook into the NBA in a year. I simply don't think he has the skill set to fill that role at this point. I didn't listen to the pod cast so wasn't taking a shot at you, but rather trying to figure that out.
I understand where you’re coming from. I don’t know that Deace got into specifics.

But in my mind I pictured a Reggie Evans type of game. Be a physical presence. Go after every rebound like you’re offended if anyone else ever gets a rebound. Also, I don’t know that he was saying this is how Cook gets to the NBA but rather if Cook is getting to the NBA it’s by doing this.

Does that answer your question? Others may listen and have a different take. I was multitasking.

I understand where you’re coming from. I don’t know that Deace got into specifics.

But in my mind I pictured a Reggie Evans type of game. Be a physical presence. Go after every rebound like you’re offended if anyone else ever gets a rebound. Also, I don’t know that he was saying this is how Cook gets to the NBA but rather if Cook is getting to the NBA it’s by doing this.

Does that answer your question? Others may listen and have a different take. I was multitasking.

I just never see him as a Reggie Evans type player. Reggie was a high energy defender that had a motor that didn't stop once shots went up on either end of the floor. I've never pictured TC to be that type of player.

Well ... well ... well ...

Nothing like giving yourself an “atta boy” by giving someone else props ...

;)

Those are the best kind. Build up others and in the process build up yourself image. Sure beats the other option of trying to better yourself by walking over the top of others or tearing down others to make yourself look better in comparison. Don’t you think? :oops:

Partially correct. He did suggest that Cook try to play a “role player” type of position along with Garza instead of trying to be the center piece of the offense. Deace also commented how with Cook in there it clogs up the lane too much for Garza to move around.

I just never see him as a Reggie Evans type player. Reggie was a high energy defender that had a motor that didn't stop once shots went up on either end of the floor. I've never pictured TC to be that type of player.

Though Cook could hit the weights all summer and improve is muscular ability and thus improve his rebounding ability, he never will be able to build the the upper body mass of Reggie. Reggie was a man among boys under the boards.

I disagree with Miller that Cook’s main problem is Iowa’s guard play.

Since Miller’s explanation is Cook has to come up to FT line/extended because guards are at 27’ instead of 21’.

Nope. Not buying it.

Cook gets plenty of touches on the box. He fumbles a number of those touches away and misses 1.4 dunks per game.

And if he’s catching the ball FT line/extended then develop a jump shot during 3 years of off-season practice. Don’t drive/spin and fumble the ball.

Reactions: trj
Seems like we spend a lot of time worrying about our offense when we were 2nd in the conference in scoring. Defense has improved, yes, but we have a long way to go. Remember that our O is even better when we are dialed in on D.

Those are the best kind. Build up others and in the process build up yourself image. Sure beats the other option of trying to better yourself by walking over the top of others or tearing down others to make yourself look better in comparison. Don’t you think? :oops:
Just razzing.

But, yes, the best option is to praise others and let others praise you.

Just razzing.

But, yes, the best option is to praise others and let others praise you.

I know you were just razzing. Great conversation and we can hope that it sets a positive example for younger fans on the forum to follow.

I do have an escape clause however that states that if Kirk ever punts again from the opponent ‘s own thirty yard line ALL BETS ARE OFF.:D

I agree. He has to accept a different role and embrace it and play at
Seems like we spend a lot of time worrying about our offense when we were 2nd in the conference in scoring. Defense has improved, yes, but we have a long way to go. Remember that our O is even better when we are dialed in on D.
BigD can weigh in on this as well. But Deace didn’t think Iowa should focus too much on defense...trying to be an elite defense that is. That’s what MI and MSU do. They will always have better athletes and recruits so we can’t beat them at their own game. I’m not saying that I agree or disagree...just how I took his comments on our defense.

Tyler Cook is a poor man's Julius Randle. Both are similar sized small ball 5s forced to play the 4 most of the time because they are not tall enough. They have decent handles for guys their size but Randle is much more polished all around and a much more consistent rebounder. Cook is probably more athletic though. The problem for Cook is that most NBA teams don't want a poor man's Randle, they would rather have a taller role player that's an elite defender to clog up the lane or a big that can stretch the floor.

Cook’s best role at any level is to take pressure off the primary scorers with his athleticism.

If Cook comes back, and he should, he needs to focus on 1) boards, 2) adding reliable mid-range shots (10-15’) to his post game offense, 3) defensive energy- not necessarily in that order but definitely all 3.

With some of the stretch-5s emerging now, this kind of a player could be useful. Think that’s his best role. Whether he actually achieves the level he needs to succeed is questionable, to say the least.

I have got to give it to deace as he has a great understanding of the game. He points out many things I have pointed throughout the season and also many of you. Also Jon too as we all know how we have never had a breakdown big ten quality point guard under Fran. I like how Deace points out how much better Garza plays when Cook not in and how it relates to spacing on the floor. I’ve pointed that out more than once. Good podcast as it points out glaring weaknesses that have kept this program from going to the next level.
I’d love a podcast very much too if I believed it made me look smart.