2017 B1G Tournament to DC

This is the dumbest thing I have read all week. So looks like the 3 eastern schools will be calling the shots.

I guess when you bring the eyeballs...you get the votes.

Oook. Lets just try to appease the newest members to the conference eh.. There is no way that would be a better atmosphere then either Chicago or Indy. If for no other reason then the fan bases of the midwest teams wouldn't show up in droves for them like they have been.

Oook. Lets just try to appease the newest members to the conference eh.. There is no way that would be a better atmosphere then either Chicago or Indy. If for no other reason then the fan bases of the midwest teams wouldn't show up in droves for them like they have been.

Indy is literally the perfect place to host the Big Ten tourney...and selfishly...Chicago is about as close to that as you can get (although being only a short drive from IC helps that in my eyes).

Dumb move by the Big Ten...and they're going to rotate for 10 years? ugh.

Indy is literally the perfect place to host the Big Ten tourney...and selfishly...Chicago is about as close to that as you can get (although being only a short drive from IC helps that in my eyes).

Dumb move by the Big Ten...and they're going to rotate for 10 years? ugh.

The only advantage Indy has is the proximity of the Buffalo Wild Wings from the arena. The problem in Indy is the place gets overrun with delta bravo Indiana fans. If Purdue ever gets good, it will be overrun with delta bravo Purdue fans. Chicago is ideal because it has a ton of Big Ten fans (save for Nebraska, PSU and Northwestern) and so you get a great mix of representation in there and a robust secondary market for tickets if your team loses early (which Iowa has regularly done since losing the then-winningest coach in BTT history, Coach Alford, a few years ago). The thing is gonna be a joke in DC. It will make Arch Madness look well attended by comparison.

The only advantage Indy has is the proximity of the Buffalo Wild Wings from the arena. The problem in Indy is the place gets overrun with delta bravo Indiana fans. If Purdue ever gets good, it will be overrun with delta bravo Purdue fans. Chicago is ideal because it has a ton of Big Ten fans (save for Nebraska, PSU and Northwestern) and so you get a great mix of representation in there and a robust secondary market for tickets if your team loses early (which Iowa has regularly done since losing the then-winningest coach in BTT history, Coach Alford, a few years ago). The thing is gonna be a joke in DC. It will make Arch Madness look well attended by comparison.

Okeefe...I'm not sure if you missed the memo or what...but...Northwestern is "Chicago's Big Ten Team"!!

When the 'Cats play in the UC...the place is raucous...literally dozens of Northwestern fans are there.

With all due respect to you Negative Nancies and Debbie Downers, I actually think this is a great move for the conference. It will build on the TV exposure and interest the entry of Maryland and Rutgers to the conference will bring to audiences and especially recruits in the Northeast Corridor, extended down through Virginia. Playing the tournament in the nation's capital will make the B1G feel more like a local conference for top high school prospects not only in large, urban cities including Washington, Baltimore, Philadelphia, New York City and Hartford, but in the highly urbanized areas of New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Delaware, West Virginia and Virginia.

Hundreds of thousands of B1G alumni live and work in the Northeast Corridor and DC and many of them will be thrilled to drive or take a train a few hours away to watch their favorite teams. I predict the tournament will be exceptionally well-attended.

With all due respect to you Negative Nancies and Debbie Downers, I actually think this is a great move for the conference. It will build on the TV exposure and interest the entry of Maryland and Rutgers to the conference will bring to audiences and especially recruits in the Northeast Corridor, extended down through Virginia. Playing the tournament in the nation's capital will make the B1G feel more like a local conference for top high school prospects not only in large, urban cities including Washington, Baltimore, Philadelphia, New York City and Hartford, but in the highly urbanized areas of New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Delaware, West Virginia and Virginia.

Hundreds of thousands of B1G alumni live and work in the Northeast Corridor and DC and many of them will be thrilled to drive or take a train a few hours away to watch their favorite teams. I predict the tournament will be exceptionally well-attended.

Are you trolling or are you just high? When I think of basketball in the Northeast, I think of Syracuse, UConn, Villanova, etc. Rutgers is a joke. The mid-Atlantic is Georgetown. Now how about instead of worrying about getting hypothetical recruits, we take actions so that guys like, oh I don't know, Marcus Paige, Harrison Barnes, Derrick Rose, Anthony Davis and Jabari Parker, you know guys who are actually legit ball players who are born and raised in Big Ten country (or Ames) stay in the Midwest before we worry about an off chance of landing the next Melsahn Basabe? Ugh.

Okeefe...I'm not sure if you missed the memo or what...but...Northwestern is "Chicago's Big Ten Team"!!

When the 'Cats play in the UC...the place is raucous...literally dozens of Northwestern fans are there.

Come on, man, they broke the "hundreds" barrier the last time NU played at the UC!

Are you trolling or are you just high? When I think of basketball in the Northeast, I think of Syracuse, UConn, Villanova, etc. Rutgers is a joke. The mid-Atlantic is Georgetown. Now how about instead of worrying about getting hypothetical recruits, we take actions so that guys like, oh I don't know, Marcus Paige, Harrison Barnes, Derrick Rose, Anthony Davis and Jabari Parker, you know guys who are actually legit ball players who are born and raised in Big Ten country (or Ames) stay in the Midwest before we worry about an off chance of landing the next Melsahn Basabe? Ugh.

Unlike a number of your poasts no trolling here, Counselor. And I think you refuted your own argument when you stated "When I think of basketball in the Northeast, I think of Syracuse, UConn, Villanova, etc. Rutgers is a joke. The mid-Atlantic is Georgetown." Yeah. That's sort of the problem. So why not invade that turf? Why not drink their milkshake? There's no reason a top baller in the Northeast or mid-Atlantic SHOULDN'T consider attending and playing for a B1G school. Except for many of them their world has been the Big East (realigned), the Atlantic 10, the ACC, America East even the Ivy League, and generally anything between the 'Cuse and Georgetown.

As Sally Mason told me at a dinner more than a year ago, it's all about TV footprint and eyeballs. The athletic and academic footprint is changing; those are among the reasons why Rutgers and Maryland were invited to join the B1G, and why other schools are under consideration. The conference needs to be aggressive in marketing to new audiences.

Holding the tournament in the nation's capital once in a while is a good move, bud. And I guarantee tourney attendees will have a much better time than they will in Indy.

Ima betting even the newly-inaugurated President Clinton will attend.

I think its a very smart move. The Big Ten doesnt have the conference tournament tradition like the Big 12 or Big East, so why not expand your brand in 4th largest population center.

Unlike a number of your poasts no trolling here, Counselor. And I think you refuted your own argument when you stated "When I think of basketball in the Northeast, I think of Syracuse, UConn, Villanova, etc. Rutgers is a joke. The mid-Atlantic is Georgetown." Yeah. That's sort of the problem. So why not invade that turf? Why not drink their milkshake? There's no reason a top baller in the Northeast or mid-Atlantic SHOULDN'T consider attending and playing for a B1G school. Except for many of them their world has been the Big East (realigned), the Atlantic 10, the ACC, America East even the Ivy League, and generally anything between the 'Cuse and Georgetown.

As Sally Mason told me at a dinner more than a year ago, it's all about TV footprint and eyeballs. The athletic and academic footprint is changing; those are among the reasons why Rutgers and Maryland were invited to join the B1G, and why other schools are under consideration. The conference needs to be aggressive in marketing to new audiences.

Holding the tournament in the nation's capital once in a while is a good move, bud. And I guarantee tourney attendees will have a much better time than they will in Indy.

Ima betting even the newly-inaugurated President Clinton will attend.

You wanna know why I'm scurred, Tweetah? Because I remember a recent bubble, not the last one your boys in DC puffed up, but the one before that. It was built on a rapidly changing technological model. You know what every moron disconnected from reality said their business needed to do? Add eyeballs. Ludicrous IPO prices were based on "eyeballs." The market predictably crashed and Joe Prole who had his whole retirement sitting in the Janus 20 Fund paid the price. But by all means, you go right on and ahead and trust Sally Mason to assist in steering the course of Big Ten athletics!

So yeah, perhaps the Big Ten needs to be aggressive in marketing to new audiences. But Rutgers, in particular, adds virtually no new audience. I don't know if Maryland does. But I do know that just putting an Iowa-Wisconsin snoozefest basketball game on TV or hosting a tournament in DC isn't going to bring new fans save for some Maryland fans and the 63 Rutgers fans. You see, Tweetah, college sports fandom is passed down from generation to generation or associated with alumni status. I mean, are you funna turn into a Utah fan if they get shown on Fox Sports at midnight on a random Saturday night in October? Of course not.

I think its a very smart move. The Big Ten doesnt have the conference tournament tradition like the Big 12 or Big East, so why not expand your brand in 4th largest population center.

Has Iowa ever won a BTT game anywhere other than the United Center bince Steven Todd Alford left town?

You wanna know why I'm scurred, Tweetah? Because I remember a recent bubble, not the last one your boys in DC puffed up, but the one before that. It was built on a rapidly changing technological model. You know what every moron disconnected from reality said their business needed to do? Add eyeballs. Ludicrous IPO prices were based on "eyeballs." The market predictably crashed and Joe Prole who had his whole retirement sitting in the Janus 20 Fund paid the price. But by all means, you go right on and ahead and trust Sally Mason to assist in steering the course of Big Ten athletics!

So yeah, perhaps the Big Ten needs to be aggressive in marketing to new audiences. But Rutgers, in particular, adds virtually no new audience. I don't know if Maryland does. But I do know that just putting an Iowa-Wisconsin snoozefest basketball game on TV or hosting a tournament in DC isn't going to bring new fans save for some Maryland fans and the 63 Rutgers fans. You see, Tweetah, college sports fandom is passed down from generation to generation or associated with alumni status. I mean, are you funna turn into a Utah fan if they get shown on Fox Sports at midnight on a random Saturday night in October? Of course not.

You just need to accept this is no longer your father's Rust Belt athletic conference. Long gone are "three yards and a cloud of dust," Bo, Woody, Hayden, even the days when the Big Ten conference actually had 10 schools. It's a new day and a different time.

If the league can increase viewership in the East, that will be an a$$et for each member. Or maybe more money is not needed.

I loved the Nebraska addition...in my mind...they are about as Big Ten as you can get...but hated the Maryland and Rutgers additions...and hate them even more now.

I am just going to try to pretend they are not part of the conference and treat the few Iowa vs Maryland or Rutgers games as OOC. See how that goes, maybe I will feel better.

Gotta admit, it took me some time to get through anger and bargaining before reaching acceptance, but this doesn't seem so bad anymore. The league has a legit Eastern contingent now. Playing a tourney in the East now and again -- that's fair. If DC is part of a rotation going forward and gets the tournament every third (can it be fourth or fifth?) year, then that's OK and might even be a twice-removed benefit I guess ($$$!).

But listen up Delany... if you think you can send our BBall tourney out of Indy/Chicago more than once in while, its time to take your corporate butt back to North Carolina and the devil-ACC that birthed you.

Latest posts