2015-16 Depth Chart

We are basically going from strength to strength all around. I can't even describe the quality depth at each position. Defensive line is stacked, linebackers stacked, running backs stacked. Stockpiles of talent in every section. Plus TWO RETURNING QUARTERBACKS who understand to offensive in the fourth year of the new system.

Yes a lot of experience returning in every position group, this should be a very good team. It will be interesting to see who wins starting jobs. Even though Iowa loses 2 defensive tackles there are 3 or 4 very good and experienced players competing for the spots. There are also running backs, quarterbacks, receivers, tight ends, 3 offensive lineman, 3 linebackers with starts, 3 defensive backs, kicker, punter etc etc back.

http://cfbmatrix.com/special-features/4966-2/think-you-have-returning-starters-impact-solved-dont-bet-on-it/

Iowa returns 14 total starters= 61% chance of winning more games
Iowa returns both the kicker and punter = 62.3% chance of winning more games
Iowa returns 5 offensive starters = 55.6% chance of winning more games.
Iowa returns 7 defensive starter = 55.4% chance of winning more games.

All returning position groups favor Iowa winning more games.

Last edited:
Way too early . . .

QB - CJB, Rudock
RB - Canzeri, Wadley, Daniels
FB - Stacked here - Cox, Plewa, Kenny
WR - Smith, Vandy, Hillyer, McCarron, Mitchell, Harris, Ghost of Willies
TE - Duzey, Kittle
OL- Boettger, Welsh, Blythe, Walsh, Ward
DT - Coop, Johnson, Faith, Bazata
DE - Ott, Meier, Nelson
OLB - Bower, Perry
MLB - Jewell, Perry
WLB - Spearman, Perry
CB - King, Mabin, Fleming, Draper
SS - Gair or Taylor
FS - Lomax

Last edited:
I will give an early prediction on defense with a surprise.

DL;
Nate Meier
Jaleel Johnson
Nathan Bazata
Drew Ott

LBs
Josey Jewell
John Kenny
Bo Bower

DBs
Greg Mabin
Jordan Lomax
Anthony Gair
Desmond King

I like this group, lots of experience here.

Who is #44 on D? LB who blocked that punt and scored a TD? 15 lbs and he is starting LB. Is Spearman gone? I keep hearing so.

#44 is Ben Niemann, he is going to be a good one! I would not be surprised if he was the third starter at LB either.

Next years defense relies entirely on the linebackers improving, the offense still has the age old problem of wide receivers not getting open, so I don't really see that getting fixed - the offensive line probably has a depth problem since the recruiting shifted so hard to WRs

We lose two dt's and two ot's to the nfl and you guys see improvement?
/headscratcher

Hey barta, we found you some season ticket candidates. $450/pop

Heres the secret. Look at the 2012 registers 1A and 2A all Iowa teams and that's who were trotting out against the B1G teams. Go get em boys...

Heres the secret. Look at the 2012 registers 1A and 2A all Iowa teams and that's who were trotting out against the B1G teams. Go get em boys...

Actually the two glaring spots we have to replace are DT & OT and both have 4 star kids competing for the position which we usually don't have. Darian Cooper, Jaleel Johnson and Faith Ekakite at DT were all 4 start. Ryan Ward who will compete for OT was a 4 star as well.

I know a heavy % of you are being smart ***** but if Iowa starts CJB and plays him all year we have a chance for 8-10 wins. I just wish Iowa had played him this year after the Pitt game, we probabaly have 9 wins and maybe the West.

There are some players that will be hard to replace at DT and OT but everything else can be improved. This year even with screwing up the QB position we still should have won Maryhland(that was more on the coaches than players) and Nebraska loss was unexcusable. That would have been 9 wins.

This post is a joke, right? We just came off a miserable season and had a pathetic attempt at a bowl game. So lets start planning on next year. better get a bunch of gold paint to cover the big hawk turd.

The fact of the matter is we have two cats from small town Iowa starting Division 1 football at linebacker next year. That is a recipe for disaster again. And in no way do I mean this to be disparaging we need brothers at LB, not some undersized kid from Decorah or West Branch. 66% of our starting LB corp are slow, undersized white guys. That isn't gonna work in D1 football guys. It all goes back to the recruiting and lack of this staff ever landing anything worthwhile. I don't follow recruiting like some but my assumption is these two kids were probably courted by 1 other D1 school, yet they are going to be starting again next year for us. The two sadly wouldn't have even started for Iowa State….and that is hard to swallow.

Last edited:
This post is a joke, right? We just came off a miserable season and had a pathetic attempt at a bowl game. So lets start planning on next year. better get a bunch of gold paint to cover the big hawk turd.

I thought I was in Neverland until I read your post. Good going.

The fact of the matter is we have two cats from small town Iowa starting Division 1 football at linebacker next year. That is a recipe for disaster again. And in no way do I mean this to be disparaging we need brothers at LB, not some undersized kid from Decorah or West Branch. 66% of our starting LB corp are slow, undersized white guys. That isn't gonna work in D1 football guys. It all goes back to the recruiting and lack of this staff ever landing anything worthwhile. I don't follow recruiting like some but my assumption is these two kids were probably courted by 1 other D1 school, yet they are going to be starting again next year for us. The two sadly wouldn't have even started for Iowa State….and that is hard to swallow.

Chad Greenway, Aaron Kampman, LeVar Woods, Mike Klingenborg, Pat Angerer, and James Morris called, they really think you have a strong argument about small town kids not being able to play LB in the B1G. Not saying any of the current guys will, but this crew was always gonna have some growing pains in year one. To further strengthen your argument, how did Alston work out this year?

It used to be our LBs struggled more with coverage, as for some reason Iowa makes them follow WR

This years group struggled with everything. Worst tackling defense I have ever seen. King was only guy who could tackle and that's our CB

We have so many unknowns next year.

So are you saying Iowa should only be recruiting black players? Sound kind of racist. Are you saying the athletes from small Iowa towns can't play D1 football? There are tons of them who played or are now playing in the NFL. We had a black MLB and OLB playing this year who were not good.

Yes a lot of experience returning in every position group, this should be a very good team. It will be interesting to see who wins starting jobs. Even though Iowa loses 2 defensive tackles there are 3 or 4 very good and experienced players competing for the spots. There are also running backs, quarterbacks, receivers, tight ends, 3 offensive lineman, 3 linebackers with starts, 3 defensive backs, kicker, punter etc etc back.

Depth of average players is not something to get excited about. if they were any good. The best teams have several guys that will play in The League, i don't see that on the current depth chart.

Latest posts