2014 Weakness - Offensive Line Depth

WinOneThisCentury

Or is it? I'm of the mind that we have 3-4 guys that are in the "coming of age" year in their development at Iowa. Assuming we have a starting OL of:

Scherff
Simmons (I think he wins this spot from Welsh)
Blythe
Walsh
Donnal

That leaves Welsh, Keppy, Ward, Sealby, and probably Croston as the likely candidates as next men in. I believe four of the five are entering at least their 3rd year in the program, which is typically where the term "ready" begins to appear on their resume. Granted, you can't afford to lose Scherff / Blythe and expect to have a good OL. They are two vital cogs in the machine. That being said, I think we would be fine at the guard position if we had to put the next best option in be it Welsh or most likely Ward. Ward also works at tackle and he has earned high praise from BF.

IMO, those five above listed as starters have the potential to be as good an offensive line as we have had since 2010...and possibly 2008. With a another year getting bigger, stronger, and honing technique, these guys are going to dominate the mid level teams we play and more than hold their own against the top tier. If the skill position players develop as much as they did from 2012 to 2013, we are going to be much more potent on offense. We simply need a running back that can exploit the performance of the OL, and break long runs when they are there by also creating something when he gets through to the secondary...more Canzeri and Daniels please.

You had me until "more Canzeri and Daniels please", given that it was a post about the OL. If the OL does the job, and none of the RBs get overspent and play-calling mix improves, it really won't MATTER who is in at RB for any given play.

Scherff and Blythe are the experienced anchor of the offensive line. I look for Walsh to shine this year at guard now that position is his. Donnal should be at least adequate at right tackle. Both Walsh and Donnal should be expected to take a step forward now that they are starters. I look for the other guard spot to be shared much like Walsh and Donnal’s spot last year, with Welsh, Simmons, and Keppy vying for the position. Ward looks like something of a swing man that can rotate in at either guard or tackle.

With Scherff and Donnal graduating at the end of the year, that leaves Iowa a looking thin at tackle for 2015. If they get a chance it would be good to give the second string tackles some game time. I am a lot less worried about the guard position. There seem like quite a few candidates for the job. From most of the reports I have seen, the starting line looked good in spring ball. The second line looked well behind in development but there seems to be no shortage of serviceable talent on the line. With all the underclassmen needing to get some time on the field, I wonder if one or two of them could be utilized as a “heavy blocking TE” for short yardage situations. It has been done at times in the past.

Last edited:
You had me until "more Canzeri and Daniels please", given that it was a post about the OL. If the OL does the job, and none of the RBs get overspent and play-calling mix improves, it really won't MATTER who is in at RB for any given play.

Completely disagree as I feel we need playmakers at RB to compliment the power game. I love Mark Weisman, but he's a fullback. Why is it that Canzeri was the one always breaking the big runs last year. It's called speed and the ability to make guys miss in the secondary. You need a homerun back or someone who can make big plays when they are there. I think our RB's killed our offense last year...because they couldn't exploit what they were given by the offensive line...until Canzeri got his opportunities. There is room for both, but put a playmaker in there puts a ton of pressure on the opposing safeties to support in the running game...and that's when the over the top passing game opens up.

This could be could be one of the best lines, Iowa has put on the field. But historically, Iowa is not a team that can handle a lot of injuries in any position. In 2009 Iowa is enjoying a 9 win season and looking to cruise to a 10th win when Stanzi gets hurt early in the game. Iowa goes from dominating Northwestern to losing. It looked as though Iowa was going to open a big can of whoop butt on the Wildcats and then boom! All Iowa's mojo fizzled away along with the dreams of an undefeated season.
In 2012 (?) Iowa loses two linemen in one game (PSU game?) and the season went from disappointing to dismal as Iowa dropped their last six games. Iowa barely had any offense before and then after that game they never got above 20 points. Against Indiana they got help from a punt return for a TD and in the Purdue game a pick six took them over 20 points.

Completely disagree as I feel we need playmakers at RB to compliment the power game. I love Mark Weisman, but he's a fullback. Why is it that Canzeri was the one always breaking the big runs last year. It's called speed and the ability to make guys miss in the secondary. You need a homerun back or someone who can make big plays when they are there.

weisman has ten 20 yard carries in 386 career attempts. one per 38.6 attempts. long of 44.

canzeri has three 20 yard carries in 105 career attempts. one per 35 attempts. long of 43.

...With Scherff and Donnal graduating at the end of the year, that leaves Iowa a looking thin at tackle for 2015. If they get a chance it would be good to give the second string tackles some game time.
This is a lot like the QB situation the last two years. Hopefully this year will work out like 2013 and their will be comfortable leads against lesser squads. I suspect the DL will hold those leads against lesser teams and allow KF/BF to mix and match and find some chemistry w/ the underclassmen on the OL.

What is interesting is that these opportunities will progressively disappear down the stretch as the competition stiffens. What we see early may be the only glimpse of the future we get because by October I suspect the margins in the games will be a lot closer than anbody likes.

weisman has ten 20 yard carries in 386 career attempts. one per 38.6 attempts. long of 44.

canzeri has three 20 yard carries in 105 career attempts. one per 35 attempts. long of 43.

It may be helpful to look at who those 20 yard carries were against also. I know two of Canzeri's must of have been against Wisconsin and Nebraska. I remember Weisman got some big numbers in the non conference schedule when he got the opportunity, but I'd love to know that information as I believe it's pertinent to the discussion.

It may be helpful to look at who those 20 yard carries were against also. I know two of Canzeri's must of have been against Wisconsin and Nebraska. I remember Weisman got some big numbers in the non conference schedule when he got the opportunity, but I'd love to know that information as I believe it's pertinent to the discussion.

20 yards is 20 yards.

There is no question Canzeri is the more "home-run" back. There is also no question Weisman is better suited to short-yardage situations, can bust tackles and "punish" a defense. The "best" option is mixing up the RBs effectively not to tip our hand via the personnel in for any given play.

I would also add that Weisman can punish and Canzeri with his home run potential can demoralize a team a team in the second half.

20 yards is 20 yards.

There is no question Canzeri is the more "home-run" back. There is also no question Weisman is better suited to short-yardage situations, can bust tackles and "punish" a defense. The "best" option is mixing up the RBs effectively not to tip our hand via the personnel in for any given play.

canzeri+speed is overplayed. more quick than fast, which makes him appear like a home run hitter. i do like his ability of his little jump over a tackle in the hole.

canzeri+speed is overplayed. more quick than fast, which makes him appear like a home run hitter. i do like his ability of his little jump over a tackle in the hole.

Ankle, I think last season, you are correct. JC was really just coming back from his knee. I think/hope he has the speed that won him the NY state champ in his class in the 55m dash.

Even so, JC is faster than most lb's in the B1G and can out run an angle and he has the ability to make you miss. MW is not faster than most lb's in the B1G and gets caught from behind and cannot out run the angle.

MW = short yardage and goal line where his power, which is impressive, is best suited.

Daniels is my guy, this season, though. He has the combination of size, speed and power of JC and MW combined.

Completely disagree as I feel we need playmakers at RB to compliment the power game. I love Mark Weisman, but he's a fullback. Why is it that Canzeri was the one always breaking the big runs last year. It's called speed and the ability to make guys miss in the secondary. You need a homerun back or someone who can make big plays when they are there. I think our RB's killed our offense last year...because they couldn't exploit what they were given by the offensive line...until Canzeri got his opportunities. There is room for both, but put a playmaker in there puts a ton of pressure on the opposing safeties to support in the running game...and that's when the over the top passing game opens up.

Please , please tell me anything that Daniels has done to show that he is a playmaker?

I am still thinking ward ends up in the starting lineup. Like what I saw and heard about his playing. He has an attitude, similar to scherff and Blythe. Since it looks like Donnal will be at rt, I think ward will end up at lg. and then will take over for scherff at lt next yr.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by WinOneThisCenturyCompletely disagree as I feel we need playmakers at RB to compliment the power game. I love Mark Weisman, but he's a fullback. Why is it that Canzeri was the one always breaking the big runs last year. It's called speed and the ability to make guys miss in the secondary. You need a homerun back or someone who can make big plays when they are there. I think our RB's killed our offense last year...because they couldn't exploit what they were given by the offensive line...until Canzeri got his opportunities. There is room for both, but put a playmaker in there puts a ton of pressure on the opposing safeties to support in the running game...and that's when the over the top passing game opens up
Please , please tell me anything that Daniels has done to show that he is a playmaker?

WOTC didn't even mention Daniels if the post you quoted. He mentioned Canzeri.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by WinOneThisCenturyCompletely disagree as I feel we need playmakers at RB to compliment the power game. I love Mark Weisman, but he's a fullback. Why is it that Canzeri was the one always breaking the big runs last year. It's called speed and the ability to make guys miss in the secondary. You need a homerun back or someone who can make big plays when they are there. I think our RB's killed our offense last year...because they couldn't exploit what they were given by the offensive line...until Canzeri got his opportunities. There is room for both, but put a playmaker in there puts a ton of pressure on the opposing safeties to support in the running game...and that's when the over the top passing game opens up

WOTC didn't even mention Daniels if the post you quoted. He mentioned Canzeri.

He did not say anything about Daniels but realize the same thing you are saying about Daniels was said about Canzeri this time last year and even into the year until he got a chance and seized it. How many posters were dogging him quoting a 3.3 yds per carry avg which was based on like 1.25 games. Not every back lights it up on his first 5 touches.

I am still thinking ward ends up in the starting lineup. Like what I saw and heard about his playing. He has an attitude, similar to scherff and Blythe. Since it looks like Donnal will be at rt, I think ward will end up at lg. and then will take over for scherff at lt next yr.

That left guard position looks like it is the one up for grabs with Walsh at right guard. I got myself confused earlier and wanted to say that Ward was the swing man who could back up at either tackle or guard. This Walsh, Welsh, Ward thing will have me confused for the next two years.

Latest posts