2014 On the Record: Your Game By Game Prediction

This team is solid but nothing special at this point.
There are more losses hidden in this schedule than most think.

Heavily Favored (-0.4)
Ball State, ISU, Purdue, Illinois

Trap games – Iowa will dump at least one of these. (-1.4 probably won’t drop two of these)
Indiana, Northwestern, Minnesota, UNI, Pitt

Very Slightly favored (at this point) – Both opponents need to find a quarterback but it is late in the season. (-0.9)
Wisconsin, Nebraska

Toss Up away game in unfamiliar territory against a good offense. (-0.5)
Maryland

Losses (-3.2) 9W - 3L

10-3 with bowl game win hopefully vs SEC, 10-4 if win tie breaker to get to ccg. Not doing game by game. Can't wait for the season.

Heavily Favored (-0.4)

Trap games – Iowa will dump at least one of these. (-1.4 probably won’t drop two of these)

Very Slightly favored (at this point) – Both opponents need to find a quarterback but it is late in the season. (-0.9)
Wisconsin, Nebraska

Maryland

Losses (-3.2) 9W - 3L

UNI is not winning

UNI=W
Ball State=W
ISU=W
at Pitt=L (It always seems to happen....the annual pre-season game loss under Ferentz)
at Purdue=W
Indiana=W
at Maryland=L ( I can see a 3 game slide coming here and then rebounding strong to finish the season. At Maryland, a new place to play at with a team looking to make a statement win in the Big Ten)
NW=L (The Iowa St game of the Big Ten schedule.....just seem to struggle with this team and Pat hates Iowa).
at Minny=L (They will look for payback for last year.)
at Illinois=W
Wiscy=W
Nebby=W

8-4 and we win our bowl game to finish 9-4 on the season. Fans left a bit disappointed, but Ferentz does just enough to keep the status quo going.

UNI=W
Ball State=W
ISU=W
Pitt=W
Purdue=W
Indiana=W
Maryland=W
NW=W
Minny=W
Illinois=W
Wiscy=W
Nebby=W

My crystal ball only works on non-conference and conference regular season games.

UNI=W (no 2009 this time)
Ball State=W
ISU=W (a well overdue blowout)
Pitt=W (Pitt will hang in, but we'll get away at the end, win by more than 1 TD)
Purdue=W
Indiana=W
Maryland=L (new field, new foe, long trip...we'll lose our edge after playing two weak sisters)
NW=W (their spell over KFz is fading)
Minny=W (they will be high for this one, and it'll be high scoring, but Gophers will seize up at the end)
Illinois=W (Beathard has more TDs than Jake)
Wiscy=W (it's about time)
Nebby=L (they'll be ******)

10-2 3 way tie for the division with Wisconsin and Nebraska. Who goes to Indy if all are 1-1 against the others?

I'm actually having trouble getting past uni mentally - although they haven't beat us, they've played us extremely well and - especially in the first game - I think they could be a real turd in our 10 win punch bowl if we're not careful. If you look at when is plays uni, the entire clone roster looks @ that game like a no holds barred only 1 gets out deathmatch...on the Iowa side, I think a lot of us fans are nervous but I'm assuming most of the roster thinks it can't or won't happen & that scares the tinkle outta me.

I think 8-10 wins. Probably 9 with 2 potential losses to the following: Iowa state (always scares me), Pitt, Maryland, Indy, wisky, or Nebby. We will likely lose a turd and win one we shouldn't.

10-2, maybe 11-1, although I could see 9-3 or 12-0, but it wouldn't surprise me if they go 8-4. I'm feeling pretty, pretty, pretty confident about my prediction.

Sometimes you can be really good, but your schedule holds you back...and sometimes you can be mediocre and your schedule does you some tremendous favors. For this Iowa team, it's definitely the latter. In a "normal" B1G schedule (i.e. having 2-3 of Michigan, MSU, OSU, PSU), this team has 7-5 written all over it. But with NONE of those 4 teams on it, we could most definitely end up at 10-2. I see it this way:

UNI - closer than it should be as they have been preparing for the last 7 months for this game. But Iowa's depth and talent win out. 27-14
Ball State - Good last year....not so much this year. 38-10
ISU - Not good last year....even worse this year. 48-17
Pitt - Tough loss in 2008 with an unsettled QB position and, quite possibly, the worst in-game decision in Ferentz's tenure (except for maybe the end-around against Texas in the Alamo Bowl), but we still damn near won. I like Ruddock on the road. 24-21.
Purdue - They just aren't a good team at all. 35-17.
Indiana - This team has given us trouble since the day KF started here. This will be closer than it needs to be, but Kinnick is the deciding factor. 35-31.
Maryland - One of the most experienced teams in the country with 17 returning starters. An injury last year kept their record looking worse than it would have otherwise. I think Iowa picks up their first loss here. 24-28.
Northwestern - Another team whose record isn't indicative of the quality of team they were last year. Took us to overtime, lost to Nebby on a freak hail mary and lost to Michigan on one of the craziest last-second field goal hurry-ups you'll ever see (and I'm still not convinced they were set when the ball was snapped). Sometimes you can overcome a tough schedule with depth and, likewise, sometimes you can overcome injuries/lack of depth with an easy schedule. NW had the worst of both worlds last year....insanely tough schedule coupled with injuries. I think (read: HOPE) Kinnick is the difference in the end. 27-21.
Minnesota - We've had Kill's number lately and will continue to until he figures out a way to stop our power running game. We wear them down in the end. 31-24.
Illinois - Just a bad, bad team with a bad, bad coach. 38-17.
Wisky - What goes around eventually comes around. We owned them in the 80's, they owned us in the 90's. We owned them from 2002 thru 2009, they got us good in 2010 and last year. We take back the mojo this year. 34-31.
Nebraska - With the victory the previous week against Wisky, I predict that going into this game, us and Wisky will be sitting at 6-1. I think to win the B1G West, we have to win this game because I think Wisky beats Minny in their last game the day after this one. We won't lose the B1G divisional title in Kinnick. 21-20.

Final prediction: 11-1/7-1. Co-divisional champs with Wisky, but we win the head-to-head tiebreaker.

Heavily Favored (-0.4)

Wisconsin, Nebraska

Maryland

Losses (-3.2) 9W - 3L

I didn't do anything fancy here just try to separate opponents by degree of difficulty and guess the accumulated chance of losses in each group. A -1.0 would be an expected loss somewhere within the group. A -0.4 is just short of an even chance of a loss within the group. A -1.4 for the group is one loss and just short of an even shot at a second loss.

I expect this team to be at its best at the end of the season. How it reacts to its own under-performance or some opponent's over-performance in an early or mid-season game may determine whether it can make a great end of season run.

Latest posts