2014-2015 Look at Big Ten Hoops

TheIowaHawkGuy

https://indiana.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1627310

This is from Peegs.com, an Indiana Rivals site, with an early look at Big Ten basketball next season. I'd agree with the predicted standings they have here with maybe some changes depending on transfers, recruiting, and draft entries to come yet. I don't see MSU finishing that low, however. I also think Maryland will work their way into top 4 and Iowa could be anywhere from 6th-10th.

If Dawson leaves, next year could be Izzo's least talented roster since he has been there.

That is if Izzo decides to stick around.

The biggest variable to me is if Wisconsin wins it all. Will Kaminski return? Will Ryan consider retiring? I will assume the answer to both is "No" and put Wisconsin 1st.

Wisconsin
Michigan
Ohio State
Nebraska
Iowa
Maryland
Minnesota
Michigan State
Illinois
Indiana
Penn State
Northwestern
Purdue
Rutgers

Edit - 3 through 9 could all be as high as 3rd or as low as 9th...IMO

I can’t remember a year in the B1G with this many early NBA question marks. This league will be really tough again next year.

Not a bad stab at early picking....Illinois is too high...yes they have added a bunch of guys, but I still see them as too small...Egwu is their only true big man of note. I would put them around 8.

MSU will be better than 10th. Costello,Kaminski,and Ellis all got good experience this season. They beat Iowa at home with that team, basically, along with Harris.
I put them in 6th or 7th. Iowa? Around 6th or 7th.

The Big 10 is going to have trouble getting 7-8 teams in with a 14 team league when they got 5-6 in with a 12 team league. Iowa is going to have to finish 7th or better every year in the conference to become a "fixture" in the tournament. OSU, Michigan, Wisconsin, and MSU are always a lock so that leaves about 3 other bids amongst Illinois, Minnesota, Purdue, Maryland, Iowa, and Nebraska. Northwestern, Rutgers, or PSU could snatch bids some years too. Going to be a challenge for Iowa and Fran going forward for sure.

Last edited:
The biggest variable to me is if Wisconsin wins it all. Will Kaminski return? Will Ryan consider retiring? I will assume the answer to both is "No" and put Wisconsin 1st.

Wisconsin
Michigan
Ohio State
Nebraska
Iowa
Maryland
Minnesota
Michigan State
Illinois
Indiana
Penn State
Northwestern
Purdue
Rutgers

Edit - 3 through 9 could all be as high as 3rd or as low as 9th...IMO

Not trying to focus on wishful thinking here regarding Kaminski, but can his stock get any higher than it is right now? He's had a great month and made the top defense in the nation look foolish last weekend. He's a center that plays like he's backcourt player. If he's planning on an NBA career, he may want to strike while the iron is hot.

I love when the Hawkeyes are not on anybody's radar. Both in football and basketball (sans Lick years) our best years come when people least expect it, and our worst years come when everybody is hyped. This is true going back to the early 90s until now: awesome surprises like Woolridge's senior year or Brad Banks' senior year, and major disappointments (Woolridge, Settles junior year, Reggie Evans' senior year, Tavian Banks/ Dwight, etc) based on high expectations.

I expect us to be focused and ready to make an impact on the league race (not because it was Marble's fault).

Yes on ^^^ under the radar.
Nebraska will not finish above Iowa next season.

They probably will

Iowa will finish between 6 and 10 next year hopefully closer to 6th but who knows the way the year ended could be closer to 10

Not trying to focus on wishful thinking here regarding Kaminski, but can his stock get any higher than it is right now? He's had a great month and made the top defense in the nation look foolish last weekend. He's a center that plays like he's backcourt player. If he's planning on an NBA career, he may want to strike while the iron is hot.

I agree that Kaminski should go. I don't know if he's from a family where getting a degree comes 1st, etc. If he wants to play in the NBA or at the very least get paid real well for then next 3 years (minimum) then he should go...IMO

Also reading that just shows how WEAK the recruiting class is...

Also reading that just shows how WEAK the recruiting class is...

That is true. Right now 1 of the 3 will make an impact. If Atwood commits then 2/4 will play/start. If they end up getting a HS recruit with last scholly then 1/4 recruits in the class make a contribution next season. That's concerning.

https://indiana.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1627310

This is from Peegs.com, an Indiana Rivals site, with an early look at Big Ten basketball next season. I'd agree with the predicted standings they have here with maybe some changes depending on transfers, recruiting, and draft entries to come yet. I don't see MSU finishing that low, however. I also think Maryland will work their way into top 4 and Iowa could be anywhere from 6th-10th.

Iowa is upgrading their talent every year, and the Iowa coaching staff is to good to finish in the bottom half of the conference. Hopefully, they will recruit another quality player this spring.

I do agree that Iowa is at their best when expectations are lower/not much is expected of them though. That will be the case next season.

Nebraska has a much harder conference schedule next season and had one of the weakest of any team in the B1G this year. I would put Iowa, Minne and MD in front of Nebraska.

He better be careful, Bo might block all the teams from drafting him!

Latest posts