2013 Key Class?

Gesell is from Nebraska.

Technically, yes. He is from S. Sioux City, NE. I grew up in Sioux City, and I assure you, South Sioux is essentially "Iowa" although it's technically in NE. I still consider Gesell to be a "local" recruit.

But I agree with you that talent is talent, no matter where Fran finds it. Iowa, Nebraska, California, or the moon.... We just need better basketball players.

Until this program starts winning, our best shot at good recruits are in-state, or out of state players that are currently flying under the radar. If/When the W's start coming, it will get easier to recruit out of state players that are getting some attention. Until then, there's no logical reason to think anybody from some other state will want to play for Iowa when good programs that are much closer to home are also offering scholarships.

Technically, yes. He is from S. Sioux City, NE. I grew up in Sioux City, and I assure you, South Sioux is essentially "Iowa" although it's technically in NE. I still consider Gesell to be a "local" recruit.

But I agree with you that talent is talent, no matter where Fran finds it. Iowa, Nebraska, California, or the moon.... We just need better basketball players.

Until this program starts winning, our best shot at good recruits are in-state, or out of state players that are currently flying under the radar. If/When the W's start coming, it will get easier to recruit out of state players that are getting some attention. Until then, there's no logical reason to think anybody from some other state will want to play for Iowa when good programs that are much closer to home are also offering scholarships.

The funny thing is that the guys this team really needs are at the back of your list. Meyer, Ingram, and Clemons. These are the guys that are markably different players for Iowa.

Guards that a quick enough to Guard and a PF that is big enough to hold post position.

We are going to be bigger, stronger & faster next year at every position. The team will be a perfect blueprint of what an NCAA caliber team looks like. A fast PG that can penetrate. A wing that can penetrate and has athletic skills, a taller wing (SF) that is athletic and get to the rim, a PF that has bulk and can knock somebody on their *** when they need to and a C that is taller than 6 mother ******* feet 7" and can play interior defense to keep the opposing teams honest.

Yes the kids are going to be young. Every starter on the team will likely be a Fresh or Sophomore with the only exception being Marble. That's young and they are going to make mistakes but they are going to win.

This is Frans second year. He landed a top 25 recruiting class for a reason. He will add another great class in the offseason. The Lick era will be purged at years end.

That's the class of 2012 smarty.

Sometimes the flow of a thread changes, so try to keep up. Just because the thread has 2013 in it doesn't mean that the topic can't change a little bit. "smarty"??? Seriously? You probably woke up 5 hours ago so it's about your bedtime grandpa.

the 2013 class is not a make or break class
because we only lose May it will be hard to have a Top 25 class with signing 1 or 2 recruits
to get 2 kids in the Top 150 would go for me
hopefully a wing Guard an a wing foward
the 2014 clas will be the big class as we lose Marble, Basabe and McCabe
with 4 offers out to that class with 3 of 4 offers out to 3 in the ESPN Super 25 that means Fran is targeting top notch players
doesn't mean we get 0 nor does it mean we get all 3
but it does mean he is doing something that Lick would never do let alone try

I can already tell that next year is setting up for a huge failure. We might want to wait and see if the recruits can play college bball before we start talking how they are ready to take the NCAA by storm. Woodbury is not Jared sullinger and Gesell is not Harrison Barnes.

I guess its true that rating stars and top 20 classes don't matter until you have them.

this x10000000000 people think that next year "Help is on the way!!" Woodbury will be a freshman 7 foot center, even the top guys don't usually take over the team. And Gessell is a GREAT player, but as you said a Barnes or even a Kyrie Irving he is not. Probably the guys I am most excited about are Ingram and Clemmons, and Meyer to tell you the truth. Those guys all seem like they will be ready to contribute in key areas right away athletically. Woodbury is going to need to seriously bulk up.

the 3 that are in the top 25 of the 2014 class are

#7 pg 6'2 Tyus Jones from Minnesota
#13 pf 6'9 Cliff Alexander from Currie HS in Chicago
#17 sf 6'8 Paul White from Simeon HS in Chicago

the 4th offer is out to F 6'8 Seth Bonifas from Dubuque

saying 3 that are not in anybodies Top 100 as being ready to contribute
excites you more than the 2 that are
not to mention saying Gessel or Woodbury are not ready to contribute is the most moronic thing i have seen posted and that's saying a lot because i have seen alot of moronic posts

saying 3 that are not in anybodies Top 100 as being ready to contribute
excites you more than the 2 that are
not to mention saying Gessel or Woodbury are not ready to contribute is the most moronic thing i have seen posted and that's saying a lot because i have seen alot of moronic posts

Give me an example of a center not named Sullinger/Oden/someone like that (5 star 1 and done player) that has come in the last 5 years and taken over a team...If you can I'll admit I was wrong. Woodbury is not going to be some magic savior in year one. I believe he can/probably will get there but no way in year one. Gessell, I've never watched the kid, heard some good things. But Scout says that one of his weaknesses is defensive (Scout.com: Mike Gesell Profile) we need ALL the help on D we can get....as someone else said Kyle Meyer is big enough to hold his own in the pain...Ingram is obviously an athlete (this photo is a fair testament to his athleticism Eric Mayesque hops...)
940008.jpg

And I have read some reports that he is a very solid defensive player (Fran said he's one of the best no?)

Clemmons is quickly becoming one of the most highly regarded guys in Michigan as far as recruiting goes. And while I love Iowa HS bball, Michigan talent>Iowa talent. I feel he will be more battle tested and ready to play right away.

My posts are not an indictment on the overall talent of Woodbury and Gessell...As I feel they will probably end up much better, but I don't know if they can be game changers right away in the way this team needs. We need defense and bulk inside.

time will tell...

saying 3 that are not in anybodies Top 100 as being ready to contribute excites you more than the 2 that arenot to mention saying Gessel or Woodbury are not ready to contribute is the most moronic thing i have seen posted and that's saying a lot because i have seen alot of moronic posts
Give me an example of a center not named Sullinger/Oden/someone like that (5 star 1 and done player) that has come in the last 5 years and taken over a team...If you can I'll admit I was wrong. Woodbury is not going to be some magic savior in year one. I believe he can/probably will get there but no way in year one. Gessell, I've never watched the kid, heard some good things. But Scout says that one of his weaknesses is defensive (Scout.com: Mike Gesell Profile) we need ALL the help on D we can get....as someone else said Kyle Meyer is big enough to hold his own in the pain...Ingram is obviously an athlete (this photo is a fair testament to his athleticism Eric Mayesque hops...)
940008.jpg
And I have read some reports that he is a very solid defensive player (Fran said he's one of the best no?) Clemmons is quickly becoming one of the most highly regarded guys in Michigan as far as recruiting goes. And while I love Iowa HS bball, Michigan talent>Iowa talent. I feel he will be more battle tested and ready to play right away.My posts are not an indictment on the overall talent of Woodbury and Gessell...As I feel they will probably end up much better, but I don't know if they can be game changers right away in the way this team needs. We need defense and bulk inside. time will tell...

spot on.

Latest posts