2012 vs 2013

jdk65

Dont we all agree that this year it is so much easier to watch them play? Last year was just brutal! Even if we dont make it to a bowl game, this team IS getting better....

This is a better team, top to bottom. Don't know if they'll win more games, but they are better than the 2012 squad - they were Lickliter-esque

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...NIU gamed looked just like any number of games last year. Central Michigan, Purdue, and Indiana come immediately to mind. Missouri State game was like having your teeth pulled. Just horrible football all around. The Clown U game was hardly a jewel of execution on either side of the ball. It was fun watching Weisman running over guys, but we saw plenty of that last year. So in conclusion, no.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...????????????????
Hmmmmmmmmmm......!!!!! Whattttttttttttttt?????

Ferentz has me excited for the future with the drastic changes he has made to this program and yes I'm serious.

I'd say the past eight years have been tough to watch this team. We play conservative football. When Iowa has the horses, they'll still have close games that if the ball bounces right they'll win (2009 best example). It's pretty rare these days that Iowa just dominates a game and scoreboard.

I like the players. The coaches I respect, though I feel KF is past his prime and I don't see him leading Iowa back to glory. I could be wrong of course.

I am just tired of every game being the same. It's usually two stories.

1. We come out looking somewhat sharp, build a lead....only to come out of halftime and do NOTHING. Defense plays well till late 3rd Q and other team makes a comeback and Iowa is left to scramble and can do nothing to stop it. Comes down to last drive for either side of ball....defense in the good years makes a stop. Defense since 2010 seems to give up the lead more than not.

2. We come out flat, unispired. Can't do anything. Rarely does this take us out of the game completely, but in some cases (PSU, Michigan last year) we know we've lost by end of first quarter.

I don't expect Iowa to win every game. I don't expect every game to be a high scoring shootout. What I do expect is to see sound football, coaching decisions...and some fun. The "glory" years of KF the teams had energy. You had players that just flew around the field.

I still love the Hawks, and will wach and root for them. But I'd be lying if I said I am having a good time watching this current product on the field.

Dont we all agree that this year it is so much easier to watch them play? Last year was just brutal! Even if we dont make it to a bowl game, this team IS getting better....

On the offensive side of the ball we are doing better about sustaining drives. Our offense is seeing about 20 more snaps per game than in recent years. Those are improvements over last year. We still are not finishing as many drives as we should with points on the board.

Defense gives the impression of doing better because we seem to be blitzing a little more. Our LB Corps is strong, but we are giving up too many deep passes. At best our defense is playing at the same level as last year. I'd argue we have regressed primarily because of the secondary issues.

Special teams (primarily punting) has stunk. Kornbrath has shanked too many punts for my liking this year. Not to mention we still can't stop a fake punt. I think that's about in-line with last year's special teams.

I still see more potential with this squad than last year's team, but potential doesn't mean much if it doesn't come to fruition on the field.

First three games last year vs this year

QB play
Rudock: 54-90 61% 609 yds 3 TD 3 INT, 19 rushes for 63 yds 4 TDs

Vandenberg: 59-103 57% 593 yds 0 TDs 2 INTs, 17 rushes for -17 yds

Rudock win his first road game, Vandenberg never won a true road game.

Rushing stats
2013: 160 attempts for 718 yds at 4.5 per carry
2012: 120 attempts for 408 yds at 3.3 per carry.

I do not find this year any easier. Last year was easy after the PSU game when I knew they wouldn't win another game. This year is actually harder since there is some optimism that the team could be better than last year. The second half, especially the 4th quarter of each game has been agonizing.

We'll see. Let's not forget how confident we were going into Penn State last year. And it was just a little over a week ago that a horrible Missouri State team hung tough for most of the game. A now 0-3 Missouri State team that just lost to Murray State last week.

It's a little too early for me to say with any certainty that Iowa is easier to watch this year than last. It lost its home opener, beat a bad Missouri State team 28-14 in Kinnick (21-14 early in the 4th qtr) and required an onside kick recovery to preserve a win over what looks like an ISU team with very little firepower.

Iowa started out 2-1 last year too, including a win over a team that went to the Orange Bowl, so I find it hard to get overly excited over a 2-1 start this year. So no, I'm not sold just yet. Get back to me in a month when this team is facing stiffer competition, and we'll see how things look.

Last edited:

Latest posts