2012 Scholarships

I think we need Speraw to tap into the Florida JC connection. Speraw coached JC in Florida (Pensacola Jr College). Look at all the JC talent that the ACC and SEC pulls from Florida. These kids are great players and make an immediate impact.

We need to be more athletic to compete for a title in the B1G!!

Very. It's not a stretch to say that's a goal of Mel, and Mel is a very very driven individual. He's going to have a breakout year this year.

Basabe will not leave early for the NBA Draft. Im sure there have been quite a few very driven individuals that havent been able to leave early for the NBA.

Basabe will not leave early for the NBA Draft. Im sure there have been quite a few very driven individuals that havent been able to leave early for the NBA.

Craig Brackins Stats, News, Photos - Iowa State Cyclones - ESPN

Melsahn Basabe Stats, News, Photos - Iowa Hawkeyes - ESPN

I think Mel is at least a 15+ and 10 guy this year and probably 20 and 10 his Jr year. Again I'm not saying he's gone, I'm saying there is a very real possibility he at least tests the waters.

Melsohn certainly looked good in the highlight video of the PTL championship game, much more versatile, and very confident. Of course, there are limitations with highlight clips, never see shoddy play in them.

I expect Mel to continue to improve this year. It is possible that he would abandon ship after his junior year if all goes well, but his loyalty to Fran and the Hawks could win the day. He might want to bask in the glory of cutting down the nets his senior year along with Devyn, McCabe, Oglesby, White. Olaseni, Woodbury, Gesell and the rest of the team. Tongue in cheek with a hopeful optimistic outlook. I do expect to see major improvement this season rewarded with a stellar recruiting class. We shall see.

:)

I don't understand how you guys can drink the Melsahn Basabe kool-aid.

Watch video of this guy... he's not that special. No go to move, not that powerful, he's pretty unconventional. No chance he leaves early other than to transfer somewhere else.

If I was handing out scholarships it would go

1 JC PG (provide a more ready to play player as this is the position that is the biggest need)
1 Fr PG (hopefully Gessell)-Gessell could also provide minutes at the 2 spot depending on the competition at PG and injuries.
1 Scoring wing
1 PF (Meyer)
1 Center (hopefully Woodbury)

I wouldn't mind banking the scholarship unless there was another high impact player you could land for the simple reason you only have 1 open for 2013 and that gives you another year to ***** needs and have 2 scholarships to give out.

Use them all. Our bucket is empty. There is going to be attrition as always to free 1-3. We don't have the luxury of thinking we can balance out classes and take our time. If we don't, we'll keep challenging for a tie of 3rd place in Iowa, not challenging any team in the Big 10.

Craig Brackins Stats, News, Photos - Iowa State Cyclones - ESPN

Melsahn Basabe Stats, News, Photos - Iowa Hawkeyes - ESPN

I think Mel is at least a 15+ and 10 guy this year and probably 20 and 10 his Jr year. Again I'm not saying he's gone, I'm saying there is a very real possibility he at least tests the waters.

Brackins at 6-10 can play a 4 in the NBA. Basabe at 6-7 would need to play the 3 and has a poor outside shot and is a TERRIBLE passer. If he leaves after his junior year, I guarantee you it is not for the NBA.

Mel was 6-7 comming out of HS, and at that point hadn't stopped growing. He's also got well over a 7ft wing span. That's big enough to play the 4. I agree his passing is not a strong suit, however he's a true freshman who probably never had to pass in HS. Give him a little time to develop. He's also put in a lot of time on a mid range jumper. He's going to make people respect him from 12-16 feet this year.

When you put it like that, his story reminds me of all the other undersized PFs from unsuccessful teams that got drafted in this year's extremely week draft.

I don't understand how you guys can drink the Melsahn Basabe kool-aid.

Watch video of this guy... he's not that special. No go to move, not that powerful, he's pretty unconventional. No chance he leaves early other than to transfer somewhere else.

I don't understand why people see a true freshman who averages 10 and 7 on little more than physical ability and assume he won't develop his game or his body.

I laugh every time you guys say "he's got no go to move", what the **** does that even mean? You wanna rail on him because he hasn't mastered a sky hook? He's not a traditional back to the basket 4. He's more of a face up guy and did show a serviceable face up game last year. When left one on one he routinely beat his man off the bounce and that was without a jump shot to keep guys honest. He's worked very hard on a face up 15 footer and once he adds that to his resume he's going to be very difficult, if not impossible to handle one on one.

He's going to be a very difficult matchup this year. He's going to be able to go over the 6-6 wing player with stuff on the block, and there is no way the 6-9 guy is going to be able to contain him facing up.

I'll go on record saying I think he will be a second team all big ten player this year, first team next year, and look long and hard at leaving early.

I'll take even odds Basabe won't get drafted within the next two years. Anyone predicting that is insane and doesn't realize how hard it is to actually get drafted.

Payne's gone man. The only Junior is May. Right now, we have 2 open scholarships that will not be filled this season plus the 4 Seniors (Gatens, Cartwright, Brommer, Archie) that will graduate. So, as it stands currently we have 6 scholarships for 2012 and 1 for 2013.

Yes Payne is gone, but his original scholarship would have been up in 2013, just like Hubbard's was slated to be open in 2014. You are right in the totals that are open, but I don't think it is wise to just go out and sign a bunch of guys to sign a bunch of guys. Unless some players fall into Iowa's lap say at the JUCO level and then sign a couple guys that can redshirt, then you fill as many possible.
In looking at how the staff has handled filling the open scholarships and not expecting Payne or Hubbard leaving. There is a major rebuild at work and just filling scholarships is not what they have done so far and I don't expect that to happen now. So again, fill 4 this year and three the following year and have no unexpected departures, the roster will be balanced in its classes and won't be carrying over scholarships.

Yes Payne is gone, but his original scholarship would have been up in 2013, just like Hubbard's was slated to be open in 2014. You are right in the totals that are open, but I don't think it is wise to just go out and sign a bunch of guys to sign a bunch of guys. Unless some players fall into Iowa's lap say at the JUCO level and then sign a couple guys that can redshirt, then you fill as many possible.
In looking at how the staff has handled filling the open scholarships and not expecting Payne or Hubbard leaving. There is a major rebuild at work and just filling scholarships is not what they have done so far and I don't expect that to happen now. So again, fill 4 this year and three the following year and have no unexpected departures, the roster will be balanced in its classes and won't be carrying over scholarships.
Certainly makes sense to me, Sportstalent, unless we have the opportunity to get a topnotch recruit or two that we simply can't let go. No reason to just fill the roster. We have been doing that for years, and it doesn't seem to have worked out very well.

It is like going out with a girl you think you are better than... Always ends out you are the one that gets screwed over on the end.

And the worst thing is you end up looking like a guy who could get screwed over by a girl like that.

Basically, works the opposite of having a hot girlfriend.

It is like going out with a girl you think you are better than... Always ends out you are the one that gets screwed over on the end.

And the worst thing is you end up looking like a guy who could get screwed over by a girl like that.

Basically, works the opposite of having a hot girlfriend.

Like you ever had the choice.

Latest posts