2012 Scholarships

rodg12

What does everyone think we should do with these 6 scholarships for 2012? Fill all of them? Leave a couple open so the 2013 class is bigger than just 1? Interested to hear what people's opinions are here.

My guess is Fran will fill the most pressing needs, like getting a true PG, and a solid post player or two, and will then take some shots at some bigger fish. If he doesn't get them, he can use those scholarships in 2012.

There will only be open scholarships if he misses on the guys he wants. If he can't fill all the scholarships then I think the complaints about his recruiting will grow. He needs a good class this year.

I don't think only filling 5 of the 6 would warrant complaints. You have to maintain class balance to some degree.

Iowa State is bringing in 10 new guys this season... 3 Seniors, 3 Juniors, 1 Sophomore, and 3 Freshmen. With only 3 guys returning who contribute... I will give Iowa State credit for one thing... being amusing! I don't recall ever seeing this strategy used before?

It will be interesting to see if they can all stay out of trouble. I wonder what their rules are? Do they let them leave the dorms? Wear ankle monitors? Most surprised with White... always reading about him having problems since even before signing with Minnesota, then he got caught stealing at the Mall... and lied about it. 3 of the players are known pot smokers.... did they quit? 2 of the HS kids Gibson and Sledge over/under on legal problems before graduation is 2.1 years. But maybe the coaching staff read up on prison guardsmanship because all seems to be quiet on the western front... surprisingly quiet!

We read about high school kids who we are recruiting while Iowa State simply waits for a Div 1 Head Coach to kick someone off the team. Has Recyclones been used yet?

Wanted: PG to play B10 Basketball as starter in FY12. Must be able to play injury free for entire season as no back-up will be available.

Iowa has not had a back-up PG in years... unless you want to count JL. We are a division 1 basketball team... why not have a back-up PG??

What does everyone think we should do with these 6 scholarships for 2012? Fill all of them? Leave a couple open so the 2013 class is bigger than just 1? Interested to hear what people's opinions are here.

It would be good to see Iowa sign 4 total, if not, 5. The 2013 class will have two scholarships as it stands right now May/Payne.
Here is the class that would look good on paper for Iowa, if I was able to pick:
Kyle Meyer
Adam Woodbury
Mike Gesell
Ka'Darryl Bell

This class would completely solidify the roster at all positions as Meyer can play the 4/5 and Bell/Gesell would be a nice 1-2 punch at PG, with Gesell being able to slide to play the 2-spot, if needed. Now if Iowa were to miss on the three that haven't said yes, it may take a combination of three players to add depth to the PG position. The addition of another Center would be a need, but not a priority.

Another power player beyond Meyer IS an absolute necessity. Mel and White need a bigger body to set screens, block out, and give fouls. No way one guy can do all that and stay in the game.

The team needs a PG, a slashing combo, and a power player to go with Meyer.

Iowa State is bringing in 10 new guys this season... 3 Seniors, 3 Juniors, 1 Sophomore, and 3 Freshmen. With only 3 guys returning who contribute... I will give Iowa State credit for one thing... being amusing! I don't recall ever seeing this strategy used before?

It will be interesting to see if they can all stay out of trouble. I wonder what their rules are? Do they let them leave the dorms? Wear ankle monitors? Most surprised with White... always reading about him having problems since even before signing with Minnesota, then he got caught stealing at the Mall... and lied about it. 3 of the players are known pot smokers.... did they quit? 2 of the HS kids Gibson and Sledge over/under on legal problems before graduation is 2.1 years. But maybe the coaching staff read up on prison guardsmanship because all seems to be quiet on the western front... surprisingly quiet!

WTF does any of this have to do with this thread?

Your clone obsession is fun to watch

Adding Woodbury and Gesell would obviously be the best scenario. Not sure how likely this is....i'm hoping 50/50 but its tough to say

If Fran and staff can pull that off anything else is gravy

Another power player beyond Meyer IS an absolute necessity. Mel and White need a bigger body to set screens, block out, and give fouls. No way one guy can do all that and stay in the game.

The team needs a PG, a slashing combo, and a power player to go with Meyer.

I am okay with the 4/5 position with: Mel, White, McCabe, Olaseni and Meyer...Unless Mel gets in major foul trouble he should play 30-plus min per game, so I am still not sure is an absolute must.

Mel is not really a power player. He is more an explosive player. Ask him to guard another team's 5 and he will foul out, or disappear. White is also more finesse. McCabe is a good back up to both.

I forget about Gabe. I just don't have any idea how he will fare against major competition. But his development into a legit B1G big would help a lot.

It would be good to see Iowa sign 4 total, if not, 5. The 2013 class will have two scholarships as it stands right now May/Payne.
Here is the class that would look good on paper for Iowa, if I was able to pick:
Kyle Meyer
Adam Woodbury
Mike Gesell
Ka'Darryl Bell

This class would completely solidify the roster at all positions as Meyer can play the 4/5 and Bell/Gesell would be a nice 1-2 punch at PG, with Gesell being able to slide to play the 2-spot, if needed. Now if Iowa were to miss on the three that haven't said yes, it may take a combination of three players to add depth to the PG position. The addition of another Center would be a need, but not a priority.

It would probably be best if we start preparing for the possibility of Mel leaving after his Jr. year. His face up mid range game is really going to blossom this year and there is a very real possibility he's done after his Jr. year.

That said for this year I would like to see us sign a minimum of 4 and I would like to see one of those being a JC kid or at least someone ready to compete from day one. Ideally we use 5 with 2 ready to contribute from day one.

I hope Mel is able to go pro after his Jr year because that means his So and Jr seasons were incredible. I dont see it at this point...but I havent seen him play since last season.

Kyle Meyer
Adam Woodbury
Mike Gesell
Ka'Darryl Bell

Payne's gone man. The only Junior is May. Right now, we have 2 open scholarships that will not be filled this season plus the 4 Seniors (Gatens, Cartwright, Brommer, Archie) that will graduate. So, as it stands currently we have 6 scholarships for 2012 and 1 for 2013.

Payne's gone man. The only Junior is May. Right now, we have 2 open scholarships that will not be filled this season plus the 4 Seniors (Gatens, Cartwright, Brommer, Archie) that will graduate. So, as it stands currently we have 6 scholarships for 2012 and 1 for 2013.

Pretty sure sportstalent realizes Payne is gone. He was just saying we still havent filled the scholly that was Payne's.

Latest posts