2012 recruits

which of the current 2012 recruits that have iowa listed are realistic possibilities... i cant say in all of my years of following recruiting that i have seen iowa listed with this many 5 & 4* recruits.

of course i wont get my hopes up.. but it would be nice to see some of them jump on the ship as it rises to the top again

i think Fran's not only doing a good job coaching the team up, he's a heck of a recruiter and a great saleman for the university.

I think the most realistic possibility out of the names I've heard is Adam Woodbury. Other than that, the most talked about names are Mike Gesell and Wesley Staten. Don't think it's as likely that those two end up at Iowa.

I could see Gesell going to Nebraska more easily than coming to Iowa. With Staten I've heard quite a few different times on various message boards (so take it for what it's worth) that he and Woodbury don't get along so I don't know if that would affect anything.

Can't underestimate how good it would be for Iowa to land Woodbury, though. 7 footers are pretty rare and from most accounts the kid can play. And imagine the size this team could have just two years from now if we landed a Katenda or Olaseni in next year's class:

Basabe 6'7"
White 6'8"
Katenda/Olaseni 6'8"/6'9"
Woodbury 7'+

Throw in the possibility of getting Mading Thok along with Woodbury in 2012 and we're talking about some size that Iowa hasn't seen in quite some time, not to mention some size that would stack up well in a major conference like the Big Ten.

Last edited:
I think the most realistic possibility out of the names I've heard is Adam Woodbury. Other than that, the most talked about names are Mike Gesell and Wesley Staten. Don't think it's as likely that those two end up at Iowa.

I could see Gesell going to Nebraska more easily than coming to Iowa. With Staten I've heard quite a few different times on various message boards (so take it for what it's worth) that he and Woodbury don't get along so I don't know if that would affect anything.

Can't underestimate how good it would be for Iowa to land Woodbury, though. 7 footers are pretty rare and from most accounts the kid can play. And imagine the size this team could have just two years from now if we landed a Katenda or Olaseni in next year's class:

Basabe 6'7"
White 6'8"
Katenda/Olaseni 6'8"/6'9"
Woodbury 7'+

Throw in the possibility of getting Mading Thok along with Woodbury in 2012 and we're talking about some size that Iowa hasn't seen in quite some time, not to mention some size that would stack up well in a major conference like the Big Ten.

Hopefully we get at least Woodbury in 2012, and hopefully White even just comes remotely close to living up to the Gordon Hayward comparisons. If that happens, then we might actually get good enough to have a realistic chance with Peter Jok in 2013.

Just curious....I know nothing about the game(s) of any of our recruits as they stand right now. I've heard Matt (what's his name on KxNO) talking about Woodbury and that his opinion is that he wouldn't be any sort of saviour or "game" changer for whatever team he goes to. I know the kids only a jr and will develop a ton between now and the next few years.

I'm most curious to know who you would compare Woodbury's game to. Is Matt (?) wrong with his assessment? How big of a get is this kid?

Just curious....I know nothing about the game(s) of any of our recruits as they stand right now. I've heard Matt (what's his name on KxNO) talking about Woodbury and that his opinion is that he wouldn't be any sort of saviour or "game" changer for whatever team he goes to. I know the kids only a jr and will develop a ton between now and the next few years.

I'm most curious to know who you would compare Woodbury's game to. Is Matt (?) wrong with his assessment? How big of a get is this kid?

As a general rule, you should assume the opposite of what Giggles tells you. He doesn't know much of anything about sports.

Take whatever flies out of Perrault's pie hole with a grain of salt...he runs a Creighton website and could just be sending up red flags in hopes it makes the Blue Jays seem like a better fit to the kid.

What is the number of scholarships that will be available for this class, that is significant? Also significant is that there is little reason to talk about this class until the 2011 class is signed, it will definitely impact the 2012 class.
That being said, Woodbury would be a very good get for Iowa, good in-state prospect the last two coaches have had trouble getting.
If Iowa doesn't secure a C prospect in the 2011 class, Woodbury becomes a big deal, I would love to see Woodbury and Prince Ibeh (6'10" C from Garland, TX). Ibeh is a top shelf athlete and shot blocker who is rated a little higher than Woodbury right now, he is definitely a better option than Mading Thok.
Going after two quality C prospects in 2012 would complete the roster and it will also get rid of the logjam that will be at the '3' position to help secure Peter Jok the next season.
I don't believe C is as big of need as people want to believe. Put Katenda in the 2011 class, think about it, he is 6'8" or a little taller, definitely taller than Jarryd Cole. Katenda must develop strength as most freshman, but he also is verstile enough to rotate at the C/PF position. Iowa has Brommer and Archie to play C most of the time, not the ideal situation, but Iowa would have options with Katenda/White that have the size to slide to that position if fouls become an issue. In 2012 address the C position with two quality players and the roster is set for the future and with all the experience that Iowa will have at that time, add two true shot blockers and Iowa is primed for a deep NCAA run.
The biggest need for Iowa in the 2011 class is a PG like Stokes that can develop and another player that is similar to Basabe and Katenda is that guy.
Back to the OP, it has been some time since Iowa has been on the lists of that many 4-5* recruits. This staff knows what they are doing, the top flight players may not come running to Iowa in these first three years, but as Iowa continues to just improve on the court, they will get a Top 20 recruit one of these days and then it will be on a regular basis, it will start with Jok.

Latest posts