2012 Non-Con Schedule

RoseBowlBound

Who would you like to see next year and in the future non-conference scheduling wise. I would like to play a team from the Pac-12 maybe Arizona or USC, a big east team like Marquette or Georgetown, and keep our big 12 and ACC ties. You?

Also, when do they usually release the schedule?

I would like to see Iowa start a new series with Mizzou. It would be a good challenge for the Hawkeyes and would start an athletic department relationship with an SEC team that could hopefully lead to opportunities in other sports.

Edit: I would also selfishly like to see the Hawkeyes play a game in the state of Texas so that I can go see them play.

Last edited:
New Mexico, be a good matchup with west team, usually qualify for NCAA tournament and not to mention Alford

I would like to see Iowa start a new series with Mizzou. It would be a good challenge for the Hawkeyes and would start an athletic department relationship.

even if we scheduled the series with Mizzou, they would just back out of it before we actually played :rolleyes:

To answer the OP, a series with NC, Duke, Kansas or UCLA would be pretty cool even though the odds of winning against any of the first 3 are pretty low today. I remember when we played them during Mr. Davis's era, that was pretty sweet (plus we won some of the games). But hey, incoming recruits would love to see those schools on the schedule so try to get 1 per year.

Lots of good names offered by others. I think we need to schedule somebody in the NE. Try to get Basabe back close to home for a game, get some exposure in that part of the country and maybe enhance our chances of pulling a kid out of NY etc.

I wouldn't be disappointed with Gonzaga, Creighton, Butler, Notre Dame or Texas until we are better prepared to take on the big boys.

I would like to see Missouri on the schedule for sure. The Insight Bowl was successful and I think it would be a great rivalry in time. I also would like to see a rematch with Oregon also. This time out of "The Woods." We're not ready for the "big boys" (Duke, UNC, etc.) just yet even though we play Michigan State every year. It wasn't too pretty either time this season. I would actually love to see Iowa play Gonzaga as they are a quality program who is always in the tournament. Not to mention I could drive to that one. As far as east coast teams go maybe, B.C. or N.C. State. The Wolf Pack would give us added exposure in a basketball rich area and is a team I think we could compete with. B.C. would just be for exposure in the east and hopefully we could count that one as a win. And of coarse the other Iowa schools. Wichita State would be another good one to throw in as well. If we got to play even have of the teams I mentioned it would be a pretty big step. As a program I'm not sure that they're ready for big steps just yet but we shall see.

Last edited:
Any power six teams, not named Duke, UNC, Kentucky, or Kansas...for now.

Those are teams that Iowa is truly not ready for yet, the time will come, just not quite yet. I would like to see Iowa be able to get into tournaments where they would have the possibility to play those teams though.

From there, I would love to see Iowa play teams like Temple, Xavier, Creighton, Gonzaga, St. Mary's, UNLV, San Diego St, BYU, Harvard, Memphis for Mid-Majors and any Pac-12 team, especially a series with Oregon as that game was fun and frustrating.

Power Mid-Majors like your list are great. I would throw VCU, Wichita St (who we play) in there as well.

Power Mid-Majors like your list are great. I would throw VCU, Wichita St (who we play) in there as well.

It would tickle me to see Iowa play the really good Mid-Majors, but teams stay away from the good ones because it helps their strength of schedule so much and with ESPN doing the Bracketbuster weekends, it only deters those games even more.
I agree with you though throw in VCU as well. Realistically, playing some of the better Mid-Majors, the power conference team should win, but it is never a bad loss against the power conference team, like say losing against a PSU or Nebraska. Playing poor mid-majors and losing just kills RPI and SOS so much it isn't worth scheduling those games. There was a year when FSU went 17-14 and lost to every team with a pulse, but made the tournament because they had no "bad" losses, but no real wins either, it just does nothing for teams that schedule soft and lose, then aren't taken serious when the bubble talk begins.
There is no need to go out and schedule a bunch of ranked teams, but much better teams than what has been scheduled and the position Iowa is going to be in moving forward.

Lots of good names offered by others. I think we need to schedule somebody in the NE. Try to get Basabe back close to home for a game, get some exposure in that part of the country and maybe enhance our chances of pulling a kid out of NY etc.

I wouldn't be disappointed with Gonzaga, Creighton, Butler, Notre Dame or Texas until we are better prepared to take on the big boys.
Definitely schedule a game close to Mel's hometown so family and friends can see him play.

This should be done for any players outside of the Big Ten footprint. Carolina always does it for it's players and it's something to give back to players who leave home far away to become a Hawkeye. (and screw any arguments from from Bary Garta that finances won't allow an extra away non con game)

Last I looked it should be about the student athlete and in order to get into post season play you need away/neutral non-conference games to maintain/raise your RPI.

Definitely schedule a game close to Mel's hometown so family and friends can see him play.

This should be done for any players outside of the Big Ten footprint. Carolina always does it for it's players and it's something to give back to players who leave home far away to become a Hawkeye. (and screw any arguments from from Bary Garta that finances won't allow an extra away non con game)

Last I looked it should be about the student athlete and in order to get into post season play you need away/neutral non-conference games to maintain/raise your RPI.

Duke does it as well

Latest posts