2012 Iowa Roster Notes: Two Deeps and Beyond

"BJ Lowery may prove to be Iowa�s best pure cornerback of the Ferentz era"Chalk this up to 'that would be great if you are right,' but where is this coming from? He has barely been on the field. It could be that he in fact has great potential, etc., etc., but these observations are based on his game film, team sources? Honest question b/c I've seen this said about him on more than one occassion.

i would say it is a combo of limited time on field that we have seen (which has been great), and the fact that last yr they moved hyde to safety originally. that move was made while lowery was still healthy. you dont move a guy like hyde (eventhough we were thin at safety) unless you have someone that can be just as good or better in the wings.

lowery seems to have the skills of spievey, hyde and prater all rolled into one. he will hit, he can man up, and he drives on the ball. i really think we will see him as the top cb this yr and hyde as not as good as lowery...which means we have one of the best cb tandems in the country as i think hyde will be drafted this yr. could obviously be wrong on lowery but he seems to have all the tools.

the last play of the game against Michigan, lowery was all over that dude like stink on sh!t. the route and throw were perfect and he still made the play. replay showed that he got there a split second to soon but if Hyde had the coverage he would have been 2 steps behind. lowery definitely has legit cover skills

so its based on one play?

i would say it is a combo of limited time on field that we have seen (which has been great), and the fact that last yr they moved hyde to safety originally. that move was made while lowery was still healthy. you dont move a guy like hyde (eventhough we were thin at safety) unless you have someone that can be just as good or better in the wings.

lowery seems to have the skills of spievey, hyde and prater all rolled into one. he will hit, he can man up, and he drives on the ball. i really think we will see him as the top cb this yr and hyde as not as good as lowery...which means we have one of the best cb tandems in the country as i think hyde will be drafted this yr. could obviously be wrong on lowery but he seems to have all the tools.

Unless I am mistakened, Lowery didn't even start the game or two Hyde was moved to safety. Castillo did.

Hyde is a very good corner and has made big time plays his entire career. I hope you guys are right on Lowery. I don't miss a snap during the season and just don't remember him out there much except for the Michigan play.

If I recall last fall, they said a new procedure makes recovery 4-6 months now. This is instead of the 10-12 months from the previous procedure.

the last play of the game against Michigan, lowery was all over that dude like stink on sh!t. the route and throw were perfect and he still made the play. replay showed that he got there a split second to soon but if Hyde had the coverage he would have been 2 steps behind. lowery definitely has legit cover skills
so its based on one play?

with all the hype on him leading up to that play, the fact that the game was on the line, and he had very little game experience because he was hurt, that one play was enough to confirm his cover skills to me.

spievey is probably the only other KF corner that could have made that play. its possible that Hyde will be the better all around corner but my money is on lowery being better in coverage

If I recall last fall, they said a new procedure makes recovery 4-6 months now. This is instead of the 10-12 months from the previous procedure.

offs.

for thr last time the knee takes only six months to be structurally sound post surgery. however it takes much longer (12 to 18 mos) to regain the muscle strength and explosion in the joint to the point you are back to pre injury condition. considering prior to the injury he was a marginal player at a position of weakness on the Iowa depth chart it would be foolish to expect significant production out of him this year.

offs.

for thr last time the knee takes only six months to be structurally sound post surgery. however it takes much longer (12 to 18 mos) to regain the muscle strength and explosion in the joint to the point you are back to pre injury condition. considering prior to the injury he was a marginal player at a position of weakness on the Iowa depth chart it would be foolish to expect significant production out of him this year.

For the last time after the lat time. He is back baby!!

Some of the weights listed on the roster aren't right unless a lot of players lost weight over the summer.

i would say it is a combo of limited time on field that we have seen (which has been great), and the fact that last yr they moved hyde to safety originally. that move was made while lowery was still healthy. you dont move a guy like hyde (eventhough we were thin at safety) unless you have someone that can be just as good or better in the wings.lowery seems to have the skills of spievey, hyde and prater all rolled into one. he will hit, he can man up, and he drives on the ball. i really think we will see him as the top cb this yr and hyde as not as good as lowery...which means we have one of the best cb tandems in the country as i think hyde will be drafted this yr. could obviously be wrong on lowery but he seems to have all the tools.
Unless I am mistakened, Lowery didn't even start the game or two Hyde was moved to safety. Castillo did. Hyde is a very good corner and has made big time plays his entire career. I hope you guys are right on Lowery. I don't miss a snap during the season and just don't remember him out there much except for the Michigan play.

they moved hyde because of lowery...then after a little while lowery got hurt...they decided to keep hyde at safety and start castillo...lowery didnt start because he was hurt during those games...when they saw castillo wasnt going to do well enough they switched hyde back...then later on lowery came back with a cast and was the nickel back for the team...this isnt based off 1 play this is based off his many plays in nickel packages.

If Castillo sees significant time at corner this year we're in big trouble. Not a B1G caliber player. Ferentz must've owed his Dad a favor!

We have a ton of young guys that can step up. Campbell, Draper, Buford and Lile could potentially all fill the void.

Latest posts