2011 Season Begins with Insight

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
The 2011 Iowa football season begins December 28th against Missouri.

The 2010 Insight Bowl will pair two programs that were supposed to have met four times on the field over the past six or seven years, until Missouri cancelled the series against the Hawkeyes.

Saying the 2001 season starts in the Insight isn't an insult to the seniors on Iowa's roster for whom the Insight will be the last time they wear the black and gold. They'll get to make one final contribution towards the future of the Iowa football program, one final chance to somewhat right the ship that ran a bit ashore this season.

Plus, these seniors get a shot to 'redeem' themselves in the eyes of some of the Iowa fans.

The Hawks didn't put their best foot forward against Minnesota, and defensive end Adrian Clayborn himself admitted that somewhere along the line the team lost its will to win.

While a victory over Missouri in the Insight Bowl would not wipe away the disappointment the fan base feels from the 2010 season that saw Iowa finish with an inexplicable 7-5 record, it would go a good way to regaining something in the goodwill department.

While I was hopeful for an Iowa-Nebraska jump start, Iowa against Missouri is a very compelling combination. Missouri is ranked in the Top 15, they have 10 wins and they are a border state.

There is not really a 'rivalry' with Missouri other than which state can think up the best meth joke, and giving punch lines for why each state is windy, geography will offer some spice.

Iowa will have its work cut out for it, more than it would have had the Huskers been the opponent, in my opinion. Missouri quarterback Blaine Gabbert is a far more accurate thrower than any quarterback Nebraska could have offered up, yet the Tigers are ranked 45th in passing offense to Iowa's 47th.

They are a balanced offense, averaging over 160 yards on the ground. They have a better than expected defense this year, which is 6th in the nation on the scoreboard. In fact, many of their stats are similar to Iowa's season stats. In a league known more for potent offenses and matador defense, their defensive numbers are impressive.

IOWA NCAA STATS
MISSOURI NCAA STATS

So this has the potential to be a very good matchup, if the Iowa team finds its will to win one last time.

Any coach will tell you that a bowl win makes everything better. It helps out of season workouts and focus.

Some people are wondering about the psyche of the team as it relates to the bowl game; will they get back off the mat or will they lack luster the way they did against Minnesota?

These seniors have a chance to add another positive chapter to their legacy. They have a chance to impress NFL scouts in their final games. They will have had two weeks to flush the disappointment out of their system before they begin practice for the Tigers. They will have had time to look themselves in the mirror and reflect on this year and a chance to do something about it to make it 'right, or as right as they can.

This coaching staff took a 2006 Iowa team that was not long on chemistry and were a penalty away from leading Texas 21-3, only to lose the Alamo Bowl by three points. That team was the most disappointing of the Kirk Ferentz era, according to Ferentz himself.

I think Iowa will bring their 'A' game. They should have Jeff Tarpinian back at middle linebacker, giving them their opening day defense sans Tyler Nielsen. They should have both Adam Gettis and Nolan MacMillan back healthy at right guard, something they have not had since August practice. Adam Robinson will have had time to heal, and Marcus Coker wil have had more time to develop. The special teams issues will have had more focus placed on them and perhaps be tightened up.

While I felt better about a match up against Nebraska, Missouri is not Oregon or Auburn. Gabbert is dangerous, but he's the 68th rated passer in college football; only Penn State's Rob Bolden is below him from Big Ten opponents that Iowa has faced. I feel good about Iowa's chances to end this disappointing season on a positive note, and set the tone for the 2011 Iowa Hawkeyes.

So in my opinion, next season begins today with the announcement of Iowa vs Missouri in the Insight Bowl. Young players will have a chance to develop, Norm Parker will have a chance to game plan and seniors will have one more chance to put their best foot forward in a game that Iowa fans will always remember, as is the case with most bowl games.

Last edited:
Let's hope the team comes and plays all-out, instead of quitting like they did vs. Minnesota. If they do that, they have a chance to win.

Good try. But it is hard to make the claim that the 2011 season starts when the game will feature 6 key offensive players and an equal number of defensive players who will be seniors and key contributors.

Morris, MacMillan, and Coker look to have bright futures, but we have already seen what they have to offer.

This is the end of the 2010 season. It is either a chance for a bit of redemption or just a chance to ride it out and start over in Spring.

If that is your premise of your thread Jon, then fine, leave the seniors who "quit" home.

2011 doesn't need them, or their attitude around.

Jon-

This has to be expected. We got our ***** kicked up and down the field all year long. We thought there was going to be a game that truly meant something to the schools, the alums, the fanbases and even the players, and instead we get this.

This is one more kick to the crotch in this miserable year. If it weren't for the additional practices, I would barely care.

Ive never been one to believe 15 practices in December help a team for the following September when the guys getting the bulk of the prime time work in these practices are kids who wont be on the team next year. Not to mention a team is rusty after about two weeks off.....to say nothing of many months. Lets treat it like it is....its a chance for more practice for this years bowl and nothing more. Now if a guy like Derby would see the light and use these practices to get a jump at LB then sure its a benefit but its not going to help JVB much for next year if Stanzi is getting 80% of the work with the first team offense while he watches

Ive never been one to believe 15 practices in December help a team for the following September when the guys getting the bulk of the prime time work in these practices are kids who wont be on the team next year. Not to mention a team is rusty after about two weeks off.....to say nothing of many months. Lets treat it like it is....its a chance for more practice for this years bowl and nothing more. Now if a guy like Derby would see the light and use these practices to get a jump at LB then sure its a benefit but its not going to help JVB much for next year if Stanzi is getting 80% of the work with the first team offense while he watches

Most coaches would argue with you that this time for the young kids is invaluable, and lament this very thing when they dont make a bowl game

This is one more kick to the crotch in this miserable year. If it weren't for the additional practices, I would barely care.

Ok u got me there...I wasn't thinking about that when I typed...but its something I told my dad this afternoon, that this is going to seem like another bummer for people that started to get excited about Nebraska. So I didn't take that into account...whew...glad I used the smiley ;)

The bowl preparation will be helpful for next year's team. This team will play hard. They'll heal from their injuries, and they'll give Mizzou a tough time.

The only people that need to be left behind are the whiners. Sure, it was a disappointing year, but lighten up. Go hawks.

Per a tweet by Rob Howe, all injured Hawkeyes should be back for the bowl (sans the guys like Bruce Davis & Jewel Hampton who suffered season ending injuries). The exception MAY be Tarpinian...he gives Tarp and Norm about the same chance of being ready to go on December 28th.

Twitter evidence

Come on now. That's an insult to hormonal women, who by and large are much less hysterical, irrational and emotional than many contributors to this board.

No freaking kidding. I'm not sure how some have handled all of this, emotionally. The Minnesota loss has taken a terrible toll on some of these guys.:rolleyes:

The 2011 Iowa football season begins December 28th against Missouri.

The 2010 Insight Bowl will pair two programs that were supposed to have met four times on the field over the past six or seven years, until Missouri cancelled the series against the Hawkeyes.

Saying the 2001 season starts in the Insight isn't an insult to the seniors on Iowa's roster for whom the Insight will be the last time they wear the black and gold. They'll get to make one final contribution towards the future of the Iowa football program, one final chance to somewhat right the ship that ran a bit ashore this season.

Plus, these seniors get a shot to 'redeem' themselves in the eyes of some of the Iowa fans.

The Hawks didn't put their best foot forward against Minnesota, and defensive end Adrian Clayborn himself admitted that somewhere along the line the team lost its will to win.

While a victory over Missouri in the Insight Bowl would not wipe away the disappointment the fan base feels from the 2010 season that saw Iowa finish with an inexplicable 7-5 record, it would go a good way to regaining something in the goodwill department.

While I was hopeful for an Iowa-Nebraska jump start, Iowa against Missouri is a very compelling combination. Missouri is ranked in the Top 15, they have 10 wins and they are a border state.

There is not really a 'rivalry' with Missouri other than which state can think up the best meth joke, and giving punch lines for why each state is windy, geography will offer some spice.

Iowa will have its work cut out for it, more than it would have had the Huskers been the opponent, in my opinion. Missouri quarterback Blaine Gabbert is a far more accurate thrower than any quarterback Nebraska could have offered up, yet the Tigers are ranked 45th in passing offense to Iowa's 47th.

They are a balanced offense, averaging over 160 yards on the ground. They have a better than expected defense this year, which is 6th in the nation on the scoreboard. In fact, many of their stats are similar to Iowa's season stats. In a league known more for potent offenses and matador defense, their defensive numbers are impressive.

IOWA NCAA STATS
MISSOURI NCAA STATS

So this has the potential to be a very good matchup, if the Iowa team finds its will to win one last time.

Any coach will tell you that a bowl win makes everything better. It helps out of season workouts and focus.

Some people are wondering about the psyche of the team as it relates to the bowl game; will they get back off the mat or will they lack luster the way they did against Minnesota?

These seniors have a chance to add another positive chapter to their legacy. They have a chance to impress NFL scouts in their final games. They will have had two weeks to flush the disappointment out of their system before they begin practice for the Tigers. They will have had time to look themselves in the mirror and reflect on this year and a chance to do something about it to make it 'right, or as right as they can.

This coaching staff took a 2006 Iowa team that was not long on chemistry and were a penalty away from leading Texas 21-3, only to lose the Alamo Bowl by three points. That team was the most disappointing of the Kirk Ferentz era, according to Ferentz himself.

I think Iowa will bring their 'A' game. They should have Jeff Tarpinian back at middle linebacker, giving them their opening day defense sans Tyler Nielsen. They should have both Adam Gettis and Nolan MacMillan back healthy at right guard, something they have not had since August practice. Adam Robinson will have had time to heal, and Marcus Coker wil have had more time to develop. The special teams issues will have had more focus placed on them and perhaps be tightened up.

While I felt better about a match up against Nebraska, Missouri is not Oregon or Auburn. Gabbert is dangerous, but he's the 68th rated passer in college football; only Penn State's Rob Bolden is below him from Big Ten opponents that Iowa has faced. I feel good about Iowa's chances to end this disappointing season on a positive note, and set the tone for the 2011 Iowa Hawkeyes.

So in my opinion, next season begins today with the announcement of Iowa vs Missouri in the Insight Bowl. Young players will have a chance to develop, Norm Parker will have a chance to game plan and seniors will have one more chance to put their best foot forward in a game that Iowa fans will always remember, as is the case with most bowl games.

Jon,

Will your package trip include any of the following:

1) Rose colored glasses
2) Koolaid
3) Sunshine and Rainbows
4) A unicorn
5) Reefer

I wish I had your optimist outlook. This year I've lost my "will to be a superfan".

I am happy for the players they get to go to a bowl but this is the worst Bowl to go for exposure, the whole eastern time zone won't stay up for this one especially on a work night, hell I might have trouble staying up. Northwestern and Michigan get a Jan 1 bowl.

Latest posts