2011 Recruiting Class (Current Offers)

JDavis11

I wanted to organize something similar to what HomerHawk did for football so here goes my best shot at who we've offered please help me correct/edit this.

PG:
Bruce Barron (IL) - Oregon
Trey Burke (OH) - Michigan
Elijah Carter (NH) - Rutgers
Cezar Guerrero (CA) - Oklahoma State
Chasson Randle (IL) - Stanford
Wes Wasphun (IA) - Tennessee

SG:
Josh Oglesby (IA) - IOWA
Macari Brooks (IL) - DePaul
Darrun Hillard (PA) - Villanova
Charles McKinney (NC) - Depaul
Aaron Thomas (OH) - FSU

SF:
Anthony Hubbard (VA) - IOWA
Tyler Harris (NY) - North Carolina State
Paul Jesperson (WI) - Virginia
Ross Travis (MN) - Penn State

Combo Forward:
Aaron White (OH) - IOWA
George Fant (KY) - Western Kentucky
Eric Katenda (KS) - Notre Dame
Jarrod Uthoff (IA) - Wisconsin

PF/C:
Gabe Olaseni (KS) - IOWA
Walter Pitchford (IN) - Florida
Thomas Gipson (TX) - Kansas State
David Kravish (MO) - CAL
Trey McDonald (MI) - Ohio State
Shelby Moats (MN) -Vanderbilt
Walter Pitchford (IN) - Florida
Cody Zeller (IN) - Indiana

Last edited:
Re: 2011 Recruiting Class

To put into perspective here is the 2011-2012 Roster

PG Cartwright Sr
SG Gatens Sr/Marble So/Oglesby Fr/Stoermer Sr
SF Hubbard Jr/May Jr/White Fr
PF Basabe So/McCabe So
C Brommer Sr/Archie Sr/Olaseni Fr

Last edited:

SG Aaron Thomas

I think you have everyone else.

What do you think of landing the group Katenda, Travis and Coleman?

Looks interesting when you put it on paper. We really are targeting a lot of frontcourt players. Which I guess looking at our returning roster next year we'll really need. Basabe will play in the frontcourt. Brommer and Archie likely are both role players and will be seniors. McCabe is 3/4 tweener.

I think we'd definitely want another 3/4 tweener player this year and a legitimate 4/5 player, maybe even two with one being a JUCO. Then with the last scholarship try to get the best guard possible.

Honestly, the guys I want to see in an Iowa uni are: Trey McDonald, Thomas Gipson and Devin Coleman...I don't know how realistic that is.
McDonald and Gipson can run the floor and they will play physical and Coleman is simply an athlete with a lot of upside.

McDonald and Coleman have already been to campus and I think there's a good chance all three will come for official visits. Not sure their chances of actually committing though

Honestly I would love anyone of the offered recruits I think they would all bring a lot to the team (I'm a little less excited about Jesperson's style of play tho).

If I had to choose I'd want
Devin Coleman
Kamari Murphy
Thomas Gipson
Jacob Lawson

Seeing how nobody has been drooling over Lawson I thought I'd give you a clip

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dunqmxmKjMg"]YouTube - 6'7" Jacob Lawson has Serious Bounce (Class of 2011)[/ame]

I wanted to organize something similar to what HomerHawk did for football so here goes my best shot at who we've offered please help me correct/edit this.

PG:
Shaq Boga
Chasson Randle (No chance)

SG:
Devin Coleman
Aaron Thomas

SF:
Paul Jesperson
Tyler Harris
Jacob Lawson
Ross Travis
Jarrod Uthoff (Wisconsin)

PF/C:
Thomas Gipson
Eric Katenda
Trey McDonald
Kamari Murphy
Cody Zeller (No chance)

Not sure about Greg Sequele and I don't know if I put all the 3-5's at the correct position.

Geez, I see it didn't take you long to post about Aaron Thomas. The only place that was made known was on the HawkeyeInsider paid site just this morning.

McDonald and Coleman have already been to campus and I think there's a good chance all three will come for official visits. Not sure their chances of actually committing though

Honestly I would love anyone of the offered recruits I think they would all bring a lot to the team (I'm a little less excited about Jesperson's style of play tho).

If I had to choose I'd want
Devin Coleman
Kamari Murphy
Thomas Gipson
Jacob Lawson

I will give some props to Lawson as well, but I just am not sure he will go to Iowa, I am not sold that Coach Fran can lure him from ACC country, but I hope that I am wrong. The AAU team he plays on is so loaded he doesn't get a ton of minutes, but when he is there he is very productive and he is athletic, not quite as athletic as Katenda, but not far behind.
Agreed on Jesperson, I know he is a Top 150 kid, but not so sure on how he would fit...haven't saw a whole lot on him though except he has been a "fast riser" on the recruiting scene this summer, those kids frighten me. Keep in mind John Henson at UNC was the number 5 overall player coming out of the country...how did that work out for UNC and him he shot up the boards with a good summer.
I would like to see Murphy in an Iowa uni as well, he seems like the kind of "find" that Coach Fran can get.

I know where eff it originated, but it wasn't posted on here until after it was posted on HawkeyeInsider. Just sayin'.

Who cares if it was on the paid site this morning, that tweet (which is public) occured last night before it was reported by the paid site. Another reason not to spend $100 a year for "premimum" information as everything is available these days within hours instead of days. You could have found out he had an offer for free before you did paying for it.

I think people are over-emphasizing McCaffery's desire for pure athleticism in all players. I think he will recruit a mixture of kids with pogo stick athleticism and kids with good ball skills. Uthoff and Jesperson both appeared to more ball-skill type players. While these kids don't make awesome youtube dunks they certainty are not incapable of getting up and down the court. Draymond Green and Robbie Hummel seem to do okay getting up and down without great explosiveness.

I do like that McCaffery is trying to bring in explosive frontcourt players. Athleticism can atone for a lot warts. Great shooters can have bad shooting nights, rare to see a great athlete have an off-athlete night, assuming he is playing hard.

Sounds like we were a little late to the Jesperson game and as Spank said in another thread he just committed to Virginia.

sportstalent I agree I think Lawson is a long shot. But when you put enough longshots together odds are you'll land one right!? ;)

Who cares if it was on the paid site this morning, that tweet (which is public) occured last night before it was reported by the paid site. Another reason not to spend $100 a year for "premimum" information as everything is available these days within hours instead of days. You could have found out he had an offer for free before you did paying for it.

I care, and paying is worth it because there are a bunch of prospects that I've found out about on there that don't show up here on the free board.

I've found the lag of finding info on here and on the paid site to be on average about 2-3 weeks. I just found that the Thomas info on here on on there were supsiciously close in timing, and there is a post in the paid site that is practically the same as this one.

I care, and paying is worth it because there are a bunch of prospects that I've found out about on there that don't show up here on the free board.

I've found the lag of finding info on here and on the paid site to be on average about 2-3 weeks. I just found that the Thomas info on here on on there were supsiciously close in timing, and there is a post in the paid site that is practically the same as this one.

I understand people shouldn't post "premimum" information, but as I pointed out the information that Thomas has an Iowa offer was made "free" BEFORE it was "premimum" information so posting it at the same time shouldn't matter in this case. And if you have some sort of "source" that is free information reporting it I don't see a problem posting it on a free board even if it has only been "premimum" information for a day or so.

The info on here and Rob's site may be 2 to 3 weeks difference, but if you really want to find out some premimum information it isn't hard to find out that premimum information within hours or days and not weeks through other avenues of research other than Hawkeye websites.

I don't think he has been offered but back in late May/early June Malcolm Moore was thrown around as a possible recruit for the 2011 class. MM is currently at Tyler JC in Texas.

MM may be more a fall back option at this point.

His wing span makes him play like a guy a couple of inches taller. He would be my choice for the utility forward I think FM needs in this class.

Get this guy and a player like Coleman and then pull a rabbit out of the hat with big man that is ready to play from day-one (JUCO or Foreign, maybe) and Iowa will be playing in the post-season in 2012.

They key is the big man. You need someone who is ready to come in and play the majority of the game, be able to box out, clean the boards, get good put back points, and hit free throws. Go find this guy even if you have to go to the ends of the earth.

Last edited:

PG:
Shaq Boga
Chasson Randle (No chance)

SG:
Devin Coleman
Aaron Thomas

SF:
Paul Jesperson (Virginia)
Tyler Harris
Jacob Lawson
Ross Travis
Jarrod Uthoff (Wisconsin)

PF/C:
Thomas Gipson
Eric Katenda
Trey McDonald
Kamari Murphy
Cody Zeller (No chance)

Not sure about Greg Sequele and I don't know if I put all the 3-5's at the correct position.

This is helpful. Thanks.
I would love to see Coleman on board with any of Harris,Travis,Lawson, and Katenda ...now that said, I am ignorant on the following:

McDonald- heard his name back in the Lick era..are we still viable and what is his game like?
Murphy- never heard his name...whats his game?
Thomas- new name...what are his measurables and game?

Fran and staff just have to keep pounding that rock,ie the Iowa football program in 2001-2...I am really hoping that Dillard,Speraw and Francis come thru with some talent from their collective connections...Lawson would be awesome,Coleman,ect...we need to find our new Ronnie Lester-type breakthru recruit..could it be Coleman?

Oglesby can be added.

Also, anyone have any recent info on Katenda or Sequele? Haven't heard anything in awhile, but either one of those guys would be awesome to get.

Latest posts