2011 PG w/offer

Why are you surprised? Surprised at the mid-major offers? Iowa can't get heralded recruits right now, Uthoff just said why. So until Iowa proves their worth with recruits, Fran will have to build a program with unheralded kids and hope some turn into hidden gems.

Why are you surprised? Surprised at the mid-major offers? Iowa can't get heralded recruits right now, Uthoff just said why. So until Iowa proves their worth with recruits, Fran will have to build a program with unheralded kids and hope some turn into hidden gems.

Chicken little strikes again.

Chicken little strikes again.

Please, I was stating the obvious. NOT a bashing on Iowa just reality. The football team did it and still does, just much more difficult to sustain continued success with mediocre players in basketball. We've experienced this already. If you think otherwise then you need to read Rob Howe's most recent story on the reality of Iowa basketball (free): Scout.com: Uthoff's Choice Should Open Iowa Fans' Eyes

And according to his article he and I are thinking the same thing:

"...However, it won’t be a quick fix and it might take a lot longer than some folks are hoping. For it to occur, it will take more high level players..."

It's more that I wasn't expecting us to recruit many (if any) pg's this class plus I had no clue we were even following Boga. The staff must really see something in him to have already offered.

Last edited:
Please, I was stating the obvious. NOT a bashing on Iowa just reality. The football team did it and still does, just much more difficult to sustain continued success with mediocre players in basketball. We've experienced this already. If you think otherwise then you need to read Rob Howe's most recent story on the reality of Iowa basketball (free): Scout.com: Uthoff's Choice Should Open Iowa Fans' Eyes

"...However, it won’t be a quick fix and it might take a lot longer than some folks are hoping. For it to occur, it will take more high level players..."

The Scout article means little to me. Most people weren't expecting a commitment from him until Howe tweeted to put your money on Iowa. That article sounded more like attempted damage control for them than anything else.

Uthoff decided to go to Wisconsin. I don't blame him, as it's a perfect fit for him. But just because he didn't want to join the rebuilding process doesn't mean that all of a sudden we have no chance to get quality players into Iowa City. It's an uphill process, sure. No one ever claimed that it was going to be easy. But it's not an impossible task either.

No coach hired in the last five years took a long time to turn things around and got it turned around. You need to start getting guys right off the bat. The data proves this. Uthoff isn't the end of the world however. But, if anyone thinks FM can do it without a significant class signing by the early 2012 signing period in early November you are sorely mistaken.

It just doesn't happen that way these days. You have to have your elite player or put together successive classes with true high major athletes that come together as a team. You are NOT going to do it with mid-major talents and you are not going to get high major athletes to all-of-a-sudden sign with your team, when it is populated with mid-major types who are getting rolled by the other teams in their conference. Just NO way you can build a recruiting relationship that can overcome that.

There are a few ways to go. Take the Hoiberg route and bring in High D-1 talent with serious baggage that other teams won't touch. Score with a Stephan Curry type that the big guys just wiff on, or hope the guys in the current class really show something to be able to pull in a few similar recruits to look attractive to 2012 recruits.

I have said it alot, but I will reiterate. Two high major coaches in the last five years have been able to make a difference without a highly regarded class in their first two years. Mike Montgomery at Cal, who is a legend in the Bay area and Horn at South Carolina who had one of the best seasons in his school's history in year one, with three all conference upper-classman performers as holdovers from the previous coach. NOBODY else did. NOBODY. That is a lot of coaches.

You do it with a fresh hotshot recruiter, or an established name. You don't build slowly at this level. It just doesn't work anymore. Those of you that are saying that is the way it will be are, in essance, saying it will take Iowa's next coach to do it.

But, please prove me wrong.

I fear about 80% of this board is drinking black and gold kool-aid and blindly think Fran will turn this around with any recruits he brings in. It's almost impossible to turn a program around if you bring in kids with offers from the MVC and the Mid-American conference. Lick did it for 4 years and got eaten alive in conference by better talent.

The 2011 class is HUGE for Iowa. We NEED 4-5 star talent in that class. Uthoff isn't the end of the world, but he will probably be a 4 star recruit next update and he grew up 30 minutes up the road from Iowa City. It's terrible to miss out on a kid like that because of all the built in advantages we have.

I fear about 80% of this board is drinking black and gold kool-aid and blindly think Fran will turn this around with any recruits he brings in. It's almost impossible to turn a program around if you bring in kids with offers from the MVC and the Mid-American conference. Lick did it for 4 years and got eaten alive in conference by better talent.

The 2011 class is HUGE for Iowa. We NEED 4-5 star talent in that class. Uthoff isn't the end of the world, but he will probably be a 4 star recruit next update and he grew up 30 minutes up the road from Iowa City. It's terrible to miss out on a kid like that because of all the built in advantages we have.

I agree in 2011 we need 4-5 star TALENT but I don't think we will get 4-5 star PLAYERS. There is a huge difference between the guys Lick got who were sound fundamentally but had little athletic ability or were undersized and a guy like Melshahn Basabe who can jump out of the gym and has a huge ceiling but is a bit raw.

2012 we need to start landing 4-5 star players

The Scout article means little to me. Most people weren't expecting a commitment from him until Howe tweeted to put your money on Iowa. That article sounded more like attempted damage control for them than anything else.

Uthoff decided to go to Wisconsin. I don't blame him, as it's a perfect fit for him. But just because he didn't want to join the rebuilding process doesn't mean that all of a sudden we have no chance to get quality players into Iowa City. It's an uphill process, sure. No one ever claimed that it was going to be easy. But it's not an impossible task either.

Amen, and qft.

I didn't like Howe's follow up article either because it did sound like damage control, but He shouldn't have put himself out there on a gut feeling like that though.

It was a pretty bad day for Howe and his site yesterday...and that article only added to it. No need to further trash the program just becuase he got burned on his prediction.

Regardless of Howe's prediction he is spot on with the current state of the program. Iowa fans are grasping for anything to be excited and when a few things start to go your way (hiring of good asst. coaches) offers out to good players, etc.

Take a look at Uthoff and the recruitment, Iowa got in late. Fran only had less than 5 months to try and recruit, establish a releationship, and get the kid to commit.

The problem with recruiting to Iowa right now is the brand name, Iowa Basketball doesn't have an identity. It has become irrelevant over the last 3-4 years and there is a lot of hardwork that's needed to bring the program back to a level of respectability.

Fran is the right guy for the job we all just need a little patience.

The worst thing is if Hoiberg can keep the powder keg from exploding, ISU is going to crush Iowa.

That is not going to help matters at all.

The worst thing is if Hoiberg can keep the powder keg from exploding, ISU is going to crush Iowa.

That is not going to help matters at all.

McDermott gave Hoiberg a gift in Elgin Cook for the 2011 class. He will be a top 150 player when its all said and done. If old sticky fingers Royce White stays out of trouble and they can get a good PG, ISU will be tough in 2011-2012.

Iowa Basketball right now reminds me of the stupid Kaplan commericials, Iowa cant get any recruits because they dont win, they cant get any wins because they cant get any recruits.

Getting back to the original subject, does anyone know anything about Shaq.

ESPN Link

Here is a little free blurb and rating by ESPN. Sounds like he would fit in with Fran's uptempo, pressure defense style.

I've read some other articles that make it sound like he is having a pretty productive July with his AAU club the St. Louis Eagles. That team also features Brad Beal (Florida) and Ben McElmore who are both top 25 ranked player, and also Butler commit Roosevelt Jones.