2010 Season: Iowa Football Must Seize Momentum

It's important for national perception...

to do well, and that is always a good thing. But I would caution that a 7-5 or 8-4 season will not mean the sky is falling. If Iowa football has proven anything, it's that our highs are very good, but that the inherent disadvantages in recruiting base mean there will be occassional lows. If the low points of the KF era end up being 2005-07 where we were basically .500 for a three-year stretch, that means the program is on very good footing.

So much can happen each season that is unexpected. What if Arizona ends up being lights out good and Iowa stumbles there? What if Reiff and/or Vandevelde sustain serious injuries? What if Clayborn, Klug or Ballard gets injured? So many variables.

Program appears to be at a place where if the team is able to be relatively healthy and the right guys don't get hurt, we have a chance to go toe to toe with any team on the schedule. That is a good place to be.

I don't think that would mean the sky is falling either. I am more talking about the program making that next step of being the hunted and living up to it

Great write Jon. I remember the cautious optimism I had before the '05 season, but that quickly faded as I kept seeing all the love from the media. It was such a disappointing year.

I agree this year, as with most years if guys can stay healthy we should not have a repeat.

I think that 2005 season will be brought up several times in team meetings/practices this year.

At Iowa, the margin for error is always perilously thin. If we make two short field goals in 05 and one in 09, Iowa has two more Big Ten title trophies in the case.

I hate to single out the fg kickers,but for Iowa to have the dream seasons, fg kickers cannot miss those short ones.

And yes, Iowa has to come thru with big seasons when they have all the pieces in place..like an experienced QB,and d-line because it is rare.
The O-line is always the most important unit on any team,just ahead of the d-line.
We are 1 for 2..need to be 2 for 2. I am concerned about the o-line.
In 2011,we will be scrambling to remain above water,so lets enjoy a big season while we can.

Jon, I think you summed up what Iowa needs to do right here...
"...choosing to outwork the nation, not just the guy next to them in practice."

Great Read

O-line has been bugging me since January.

I think there are seven, maybe eight, real contenders:

Reiff (solid but still young), Vandervelde (benched at one point last season, needs to regain mo' he had in '08, pre torn pec), Koeppel/Ferentz (I think the better weightroom guy wins here), Gettis/Hundertmark (need a good story and both are; I don't like how Gettis disappeared after UNI, coaches like him and he did break a hand last season), Zusevics/Haganman/Orne (Going off yesterday, it's going to take a lot to unseat Zusevics, who's not a 320-blaster, but more athletic and that can work, too).

I also feel Tarpinian will have a role on this team. Will he win OLB? I think that's the spot.

With a newish (at least three newbies) O-line, what will that do for Stanzi's decision making, which, as you know, was questioned in a few circles last year.

2010 defensive line is way ahead of the 2005 defensive line.

The key to the season (already mentioned many times) is the offensive line. Can the Hawks shore up the three open positions (and can Vandervelde play like he did in late 2008 season)?

The other issue is team health, since the Hawks genuinely lack depth at several positions (safety, defensive line) - impossible to predict how healthy the 2010 Hawkeye team can be.

Marc -

It seems to me that the biggest issue with the OL will simply getting the guys to get all on the same page and getting them to gel. The 2010 OL doesn't have to deal with nearly the attitude issues that arguably slowed the OLs progress in 2005 or 2006. And, even then, the 2005 OL ended up proving to be pretty darn good.

Furthermore, I'm really pretty intrigued by the quality OL recruits that Iowa has managed to get who have proven capable of playing at a high level even though they're young. What Reiff accomplished as a RS FR was pretty impressive and by many accounts MacMillan might prove to be pretty darn good to. On top of that, pretty nice things have been said about Van Sloten. Lastly, to top it all off, I'm pretty darn excited about the promise of Scherff and Donnal ... even though I fully expect that both guys will redshirt. The point being that the level of talent should be really good ... but without some of the "attitude" costs that undermined the squad a number of years back.

As a result, I think that the 2010 OL takes their lumps early ... but then delivers them through much of the rest of the season. The question will be whether or not we still can have success winning the tough games early in the season. Not a given ... but I like our chances.

Also, I have a hard time seeing Tarp beat out Nielsen. The coaches like Tarp ... however, they also like Nielsen. As I recall, the coaches also liked Worthy enough to start him at WILL for us in 2002 ... and the very next year the coaches still started a SO ahead of him (and he was a veteran SR).

O-line has been bugging me since January.

I think there are seven, maybe eight, real contenders:

Reiff (solid but still young), Vandervelde (benched at one point last season, needs to regain mo' he had in '08, pre torn pec), Koeppel/Ferentz (I think the better weightroom guy wins here), Gettis/Hundertmark (need a good story and both are; I don't like how Gettis disappeared after UNI, coaches like him and he did break a hand last season), Zusevics/Haganman/Orne (Going off yesterday, it's going to take a lot to unseat Zusevics, who's not a 320-blaster, but more athletic and that can work, too).

I also feel Tarpinian will have a role on this team. Will he win OLB? I think that's the spot.

With a newish (at least three newbies) O-line, what will that do for Stanzi's decision making, which, as you know, was questioned in a few circles last year.

Marc -

It seems to me that the biggest issue with the OL will simply getting the guys to get all on the same page and getting them to gel. The 2010 OL doesn't have to deal with nearly the attitude issues that arguably slowed the OLs progress in 2005 or 2006. And, even then, the 2005 OL ended up proving to be pretty darn good.

Furthermore, I'm really pretty intrigued by the quality OL recruits that Iowa has managed to get who have proven capable of playing at a high level even though they're young. What Reiff accomplished as a RS FR was pretty impressive and by many accounts MacMillan might prove to be pretty darn good to. On top of that, pretty nice things have been said about Van Sloten. Lastly, to top it all off, I'm pretty darn excited about the promise of Scherff and Donnal ... even though I fully expect that both guys will redshirt. The point being that the level of talent should be really good ... but without some of the "attitude" costs that undermined the squad a number of years back.

As a result, I think that the 2010 OL takes their lumps early ... but then delivers them through much of the rest of the season. The question will be whether or not we still can have success winning the tough games early in the season. Not a given ... but I like our chances.

Also, I have a hard time seeing Tarp beat out Nielsen. The coaches like Tarp ... however, they also like Nielsen. As I recall, the coaches also liked Worthy enough to start him at WILL for us in 2002 ... and the very next year the coaches still started a SO ahead of him (and he was a veteran SR).

I agree with you about Tarp/Nielsen. I think Nielsen brings too much to the table that Edds did to keep him out of the starting lineup. The guy is practically an Edds clone.

Very excited for the position battles at OL this spring/summer!

Marc, was it an article from you that you said you think both tackles are locked up? Is that based off what you've seen, people you've talked to... both? Would love to see at least one of those positions have a guy that takes command of one of those openings this fall.

Jon & Marc, keep up the quality work!

Thanks, Plano.

Yes, that was based on what I've seen and heard.

Reiff is obvious. I think coaches really like Zusevics and he will get the first opportunity to hammer that down. But from the practice I was at, he seemed very comfortable with the job. He will be smaller than what Iowa's had at RT the last three seasons (Calloway 6-7, 320), but I think he'll be more athletic. How will that translate? We'll see.

Marc -

Gates was listed at 286 as a SR at Iowa in 2005. I don't know how much he weighed as a JR ... however, Yanda was listed at 305 as a SR in 2006.

The 2005 OL was then comparably "undersized" at OT and yet the 2005 OL still proved to be pretty decent. Furthermore, while Yanda has subsequently proved to be pretty impressive, I'm pretty confident that Iowa's 2010 duo at OT will be better than the starting OTs in 2005.

Thanks, Plano.

Yes, that was based on what I've seen and heard.

Reiff is obvious. I think coaches really like Zusevics and he will get the first opportunity to hammer that down. But from the practice I was at, he seemed very comfortable with the job. He will be smaller than what Iowa's had at RT the last three seasons (Calloway 6-7, 320), but I think he'll be more athletic. How will that translate? We'll see.

Hopefully Zucevics quick feet will allow him to contain those edge rushers. At times, Calloway seemed to struggle with them,hence his move inside late in the season.
With our passing game weapons, I think protecting Ricky is priority #1 for this o-line.
Sometimes it is better to have quick guys like Reiff and Marcus protecting those edges in a passing offense. Of course, the middle has to hold also...and that has to be a concern with the diminutive centers we have.

Hopefully Zucevics quick feet will allow him to contain those edge rushers. At times, Calloway seemed to struggle with them,hence his move inside late in the season.
With our passing game weapons, I think protecting Ricky is priority #1 for this o-line.
Sometimes it is better to have quick guys like Reiff and Marcus protecting those edges in a passing offense. Of course, the middle has to hold also...and that has to be a concern with the diminutive centers we have.

JHHawk -

I really anticipate that he will be able to do that. The bigger issue is when he faces off against some of the talented bigger DEs who also have good speed. He could then potentially fall victim to bull rushes ... just getting overpowered. Wisky's Watt is a guy who could make things interesting for him.

I would agree Iowa will be ranked high and will have too live up to those expections which is always more difficult for sure.

Marc -

Gates was listed at 286 as a SR at Iowa in 2005. I don't know how much he weighed as a JR ... however, Yanda was listed at 305 as a SR in 2006.

The 2005 OL was then comparably "undersized" at OT and yet the 2005 OL still proved to be pretty decent. Furthermore, while Yanda has subsequently proved to be pretty impressive, I'm pretty confident that Iowa's 2010 duo at OT will be better than the starting OTs in 2005.

Totally agree, it's possible.

I know the Iowa coaches aren't worried about not having 320s. There is more than one way to skin a cat. This year's group will have to be more athletic. I expect you'll see more zone blocking vs. some of the power plays we saw last season (I'm specifically thinking of the Wegher O Bowl TD).