2006 Outback Bowl...

I can't bear to watch it again. Criminal charges should have been filed. Or at least a "baseball bat party" for the sleazy crew chief.

Just curious anybody know what was the spread in that game was???? And how much did it move Florida's way after the opening line....I couldn't find it....just rewatching that is just so unbelievable and I'm just not sure if I do believe it...If the line moved alot towards Florida u got to wonder if the fix was in.

The thing that continues to kill me about this whole thing is there were calls being made in regards to penalties that sent even the seasoned football fans scrambling for their rule books. To further show how pathetic the calls were you had ESPN announcers point ot the major mistakes.

Even in this day and age of booth reviews would there be things changed in the game? Correct me if I am wrong but booth reviews were not in play in '06...? Anyone validate that?

If the opportunity ever presents itself in the future and we see Iowa/Florida matched up again, I would like to see Iowa win of course but part of me would like to see Florida get a taste of their own medicine. Then again, the true football fan in me says it would be an injustice for Iowa to win that way.

By far the worst officiated game I've ever seen with the possible exception of a couple of postseason Laker's games against Sacramento and Portland.

Officials getting a call wrong is nothing new and generally it evens itself out. But the consistantly one-sided bad calls on display in that game will live in infamy.

By far the worst officiated game I've ever seen with the possible exception of a couple of postseason Laker's games against Sacramento and Portland.

Officials getting a call wrong is nothing new and generally it evens itself out. But the consistantly one-sided bad calls on display in that game will live in infamy.

You wouldn't happen to be talking about the 2001/2002 Lakers/Kings playoff series would you? Horrible!

Messing around on YouTube again. Found the "Lowlights" of the '06 Outback Bowl.

I am reminded now why I get excited EVERY time Florida loses.

Have we ever heard the real story of the actions taken against the officials? There had to be something. Although somehow, I feel my objections about the C-USA officials may still cause a flag to be throw and a penalty to the Iowa bench, even 4+ years afterwards.

I still smell a Vegas inside job here. There is no way you make that many terrible calls in one game without having the rest of your life already financially planned.

But it has me thinking, is this the biggest screw job in Hawkeye history? Whether by officiating, players, or UFO sightings?

Thoughts?
:confused:

That was a ******** game. Thanks for reminding me, *******...

If I could reach through the computer screen and punch you in the ovaries, I would.

yeah the spread ended at Florida -1. There is no way to see the "movement" of the line, but a 7-4 Iowa Hawkeye team playing a 8-3 Florida Gator team IN florida, wouldn't you think the line would have been more than just -1?

College Football Betting, Handicapping Stats, Live NCAA Football Odds

so keeping it a touchdown spread at the end of the game was crucial, because we NEEDED a TD, and calling the dreaded offsides call matches up at least with the officials motive to do so to ensure the cover of the -1 spread and fix the game

Last edited:
This game is the sole reason why I will cheer for any opponent facing Florida..probably till the day I die. It's so hard to watch that video without pausing it a few times to walk away and take a breather.

I think even an uneducated football fan...or even one that has no ties/feelings towards either team could see exactly what was happening. Game was fixed!

another thing to consider, if we win that game, do we still have the bad '06 & '07 years? is florida as dominate as they become in the next few years?

Neat stat to consider: starting with the '02 Orange Bowl and running through '06; 4 of the 5 opponents the Iowa Hawkeye's played were either "defending" National Champions or the next years National Champion in that years bowl game:

Season/Bowl opponent
'02 vs USC (next year finished #1 in the AP poll *disputed National Champ)
'03 vs Florida (*only exception)
'04 vs LSU (beat OU & finished the National Champ in '03)
'05 vs Florida (beat Ohio State & finished the National Champ in '06)
'06 vs Texas (beat USC & finished the National Champ in '05)

I happened upon that you tube just yesterday...watched a bunch of old ones...TD #6, now there's some serious speed we could use (but that's a whole diff set of threads)...I cannot believe how blatantly poor those calls were. What was the officiating ramifications on that crew after that (if any)? Now that a few years have passed, have those same refs been involved in any other similar situations since (or before)? Is there a way to track that type of info down? That was then...but what if it were to happen to us again this year...is there any new oversight watchdog ref rules in place?

It's called "peer review". I.e., I would "peer" over the back fence before I led the lynch mob into each and every backyard of the officiating crew that pulled that kind of "job" again!

Just watched the video, and I had forgotten about some of that stuff. Tons of bad calls, but that facemask call against Solomon was the biggest crock of shite I've ever seen. Kinda like if someone at school comes up and slugs you right in the face for no reason whatsoever, and YOU get dragged to the Principal's office instead of the guy who hit you. That penalty was the same thing.

The helmet-to-helmet against Iwebema was pretty bad as well.

Not only were all the calls going against us, but they were huge calls, or came at the worst possible moments.

You can't tell me we weren't playing Florida + the refs that entire game.

Maybe we will get a chance for payback someday against UF.

You can't tell me we weren't playing Florida + the refs that entire game.

Maybe we will get a chance for payback someday against UF.

It'd be our turn, since we clocked them by 3 td's in the Outback bowl like 2 years before that. The seriously couldn't feel too good about that win. Their fans heard the same espn announcers. They gotta know they escaped.

This isn't that hard to find:

Officials: Referee: Barry Anderson; Umpire: Rimas Kozica; Linesman: Merrill Eason;
Line judge: Wayne Winkler; Back judge: Ivan Daniels; Field judge: Rodney Shows;
Side judge: Terry Williams; Scorer: Joe Kijanski;

If I was a very wealthy hawkeye fan I think I would hire some very very expensive and good private investigators to find out these goofs situations before and after the game.

Who had the brother with the gambling problem? Hey, make sure Florida wins and all is forgiven.....they are a 10 pt fav...easy.