2004 Ohio State vrs Iowa

I listened to that on my headphones as I went to bed last night. Ted Ginn and Santonio Holmes were on that team. And in the 2nd half the QB Troy Smith who went on to win Heislan Trophy came into the game.

I listened to that on my headphones as I went to bed last night. Ted Ginn and Santonio Holmes were on that team. And in the 2nd half the QB Troy Smith who went on to win Heislan Trophy came into the game.

Makes you wonder how we won so easily. I think it’s because we weren’t playing extreme conservative Kirk ball. Tate had a lot to do with it. Not your typical Iowa QB.

You would think there would be several talented dual threat QB’s in the country that would love a shot at playing for any Big Ten team.

So what gives? There were a couple Iowa possessions in this game where it was second or third and short and we were throwing down field. The buckeyes didn’t know what was coming next. So what gives?

Why did we go away from this style of play calling? Was it recruiting woes? If so why? If not recruiting woes then why the extreme conservative play calling for the last several years if not for a decade or more?

Serious question? Does this fall on Barta??? Some here on the forum have blatantly stated so. Are they right? Funny how he finally put his foot down knowing both feet were walking out the door.

Even so it wasn’t a high demand expectation considering the weak schedule last year, but then when we played a really quality team last season we got exposed for what we were.

An excellent defensive team with an AWOL offense. Defense running out of gas at the end of the third quarter and on into the fourth quarter against quality teams. Punting was winning but only against lower quality teams. The air was taken out of the ball against the Ohio States, Michigan’s, and eventually the Penn State’s of the conference.

We will lose a lot on defense after this season. Maybe Parker can continue to work his magic but there are many in house that feel it could be rough sledding after this season.

Maybe , just maybe, the offense can revive and show up under Tim. It’s going to need to show up due to the way the B1G will be from here on out. This isn’t your grandpa and grandma’s big ten anymore.

Yet, I think we have a shot this year at the playoffs. ISU will have blood in their eye this year with a much better than average Iowa State team, so we need to be really focused for that early season game. We all know it’s their Super Bowl. Winner of that game will be looking at a possible playoff birth. Loser not so much.

Is it Kick off time yet?

Makes you wonder how we won so easily. I think it’s because we weren’t playing extreme conservative Kirk ball. Tate had a lot to do with it. Not your typical Iowa QB.

You would think there would be several talented dual threat QB’s in the country that would love a shot at playing for any Big Ten team.

So what gives? There were a couple Iowa possessions in this game where it was second or third and short and we were throwing down field. The buckeyes didn’t know what was coming next. So what gives?

Why did we go away from this style of play calling? Was it recruiting woes? If so why? If not recruiting woes then why the extreme conservative play calling for the last several years if not for a decade or more?

Serious question? Does this fall on Barta??? Some here on the forum have blatantly stated so. Are they right? Funny how he finally put his foot down knowing both feet were walking out the door.

Even so it wasn’t a high demand expectation considering the weak schedule last year, but then when we played a really quality team last season we got exposed for what we were.

An excellent defensive team with an AWOL offense. Defense running out of gas at the end of the third quarter and on into the fourth quarter against quality teams. Punting was winning but only against lower quality teams. The air was taken out of the ball against the Ohio States, Michigan’s, and eventually the Penn State’s of the conference.

We will lose a lot on defense after this season. Maybe Parker can continue to work his magic but there are many in house that feel it could be rough sledding after this season.

Maybe , just maybe, the offense can revive and show up under Tim. It’s going to need to show up due to the way the B1G will be from here on out. This isn’t your grandpa and grandma’s big ten anymore.

Yet, I think we have a shot this year at the playoffs. ISU will have blood in their eye this year with a much better than average Iowa State team, so we need to be really focused for that early season game. We all know it’s their Super Bowl. Winner of that game will be looking at a possible playoff birth. Loser not so much.

Is it Kick off time yet?

Two words: Kenneth Mother Fucking O'Keefe.

You lose a guy like O'Keefe and you struggle. O'Keefe called so many gems it's hard to remember them all, but the guy knew precisely what level of protection to use versus when to get aggressive. His record against the top programs proved his mettle. He should have won a few more against Ohio, but we got jobbed by a few lucky breaks and shitty officiating calls, plus Kurt going total pussy in that game in 2009 and Norm gagging on that 4th and 10 where everyone and his brother knew Pryor was gonna run in 2010. Guh.

That year they were working with 4th-5th string RBs so they reinvented the offense. I'm sure it was nails on a chalkboard for Ferentz. But it worked. KF could not wait to get back to his inside / outside zone.

Was at that game. Everyone was looking around thinking "what the heck's going on here"? It turned out to be a really down year for them.

Every so often a blind squirrel will find a nut

We interrupt this basketball boogaloo-pandemonium with an important ...

You talking about me, Jack...?

With no running game, they used the short passing game to perfection that season. Tate didn’t have a big arm, so the short to intermediate stuff was right in his wheelhouse.

Two words: Kenneth Mother Fucking O'Keefe.

You lose a guy like O'Keefe and you struggle. O'Keefe called so many gems it's hard to remember them all, but the guy knew precisely what level of protection to use versus when to get aggressive. His record against the top programs proved his mettle. He should have won a few more against Ohio, but we got jobbed by a few lucky breaks and shitty officiating calls, plus Kurt going total pussy in that game in 2009 and Norm gagging on that 4th and 10 where everyone and his brother knew Pryor was gonna run in 2010. Guh.

Well said…………….. the truth is the truth!

Was at that game. Everyone was looking around thinking "what the heck's going on here"? It turned out to be a really down year for them.

The irony about beating Ohio State was when we did it to them while Brian was the offensive coordinator. Probably the best called game that Brian ever had as Iowa’s OC. I thought Brian had arrived that game.

Turned out to be an aberration.