'20 Big Man Josh Ogundele Enjoys Hawkeye Official Visit

I see you mention he's originally from London. How long has he been in the states? Sounds like he could be one of those late risers that not many knew about until recently.

He arrived stateside before the 2017-18 season. I believe this is a post-grad season or he repeated a year after coming from London, so he's at least a year older than most high school seniors.

He plays a well-scouted school in Massachusetts and plays for a Nike EYBL program in Boston. I don't think he's been under the radar but more a late bloomer, which isn't uncommon for kids coming across the pond.

He arrived stateside before the 2017-18 season. I believe this is a post-grad season or he repeated a year after coming from London, so he's at least a year older than most high school seniors.

He plays a well-scouted school in Massachusetts and plays for a Nike EYBL program in Boston. I don't think he's been under the radar but more a late bloomer, which isn't uncommon for kids coming across the pond.

Gothca, thanks Rob!

I like this kids upside a lot actually. We’ve never really had a wide bodied center type player down low. I know he has some other skills but to me that’s the real intriguing thing with him as a prospect.

In a perfect world if we had Garza, Nunge, and hopefully Foster around next year he would be a great redshirt candidate. In other interviews I’ve heard from him though he wants to play as a freshman.

As an aside it’s amazing how many high school kids talk about getting to the NBA. I understand having dreams but the harsh reality is the NBA is probably the toughest league to crack based on the sheer numbers and competing with foreign players. You just wonder how many of these kids miss out on a potential great college experience because they have people pushing them to find the best and quickest route to the NBA, which fails almost every time.

One thing that stuck out to me that I did not include in the story was when I asked about how well he runs the floor. He told me he can run the floor when he’s conditioned and help in transition. I think he prefers the half court game.

One thing that stuck out to me that I did not include in the story was when I asked about how well he runs the floor. He told me he can run the floor when he’s conditioned and help in transition. I think he prefers the half court game.

If true that’s not a good sign.

Is he a backup plan to Foster or will Fran want both? Kinda a Garza/Nunge combo kinda thing? I'm not sure how our scholly #s going forward are looking

Is he a backup plan to Foster or will Fran want both? Kinda a Garza/Nunge combo kinda thing? I'm not sure how our scholly #s going forward are looking
They want both. That’s why they visited on the same weekend and talked about playing together. Xavier isn’t necessarily a banger down low.

For scholarships we have at least three to play with but could probably take four in this class. We have a lot of flexibility.

If true that’s not a good sign.
Garza is really more of a half court player as well. Iowa isn’t as uptempo as we really put on. KenPom had us at 84 in adjusted tempo last year. We like to run but still play a lot in the half court, it just depends on your roster.

Fran prefers to run and press. That's when his teams are at their best, IMO. I don't think his strength is coaching in the half court on either end of the floor.

His best teams here at guys like Woodbury, Uthoff, Olaseni and White up front. Guys that could press, outlet the ball and run.

I agree the roster makeup has changed. I'm not so sure that's for the best.

Fran prefers to run and press. That's when his teams are at their best, IMO. I don't think his strength is coaching in the half court on either end of the floor.

His best teams here at guys like Woodbury, Uthoff, Olaseni and White up front. Guys that could press, outlet the ball and run.

I agree the roster makeup has changed. I'm not so sure that's for the best.
In 2016 Iowa was 131 in adjusted tempo. In 2015 they were 209.

Woody was a good defender in man or zone or or press, but he wasn’t a fast tempo offensive player. He was simply a screener and rebounder on offense.

I’m not looking to argue, and your point likely has some validity. I’m just of the school of thought in basketball get as much talent as you can and then figure out the rest. For instance Iowa was still a very efficient half court team last year, because they had talented offensive weapons. On the flip side, they’ve sucked on defense the last several years, because they have poor defensive talent.

In 2016 Iowa was 131 in adjusted tempo. In 2015 they were 209.

Woody was a good defender in man or zone or or press, but he wasn’t a fast tempo offensive player. He was simply a screener and rebounder on offense.

I’m not looking to argue, and your point likely has some validity. I’m just of the school of thought in basketball get as much talent as you can and then figure out the rest. For instance Iowa was still a very efficient half court team last year, because they had talented offensive weapons. On the flip side, they’ve sucked on defense the last several years, because they have poor defensive talent.

Woodbury could run the floor. That's my point.

And I'm not married to metrics.

Was kind of wondering about him through all the hoopla on the Xavier Foster deal......I would hope he would see Iowa as a bit more attractive knowing he would have potentially more opportunity now.....

giphy.gif

Yeah, don’t think we get Ogundele. That is how our luck goes. With our losing to Sconnie, losing Foster to ISU, and getting trucked by DePaul at home in basketball this weekend. I’m beginning to think that GOD hates Iowa men’s football and basketball, and has for such a long time.