2 Deeps - July 26, 2012

I am a little concerned with the LB position. Don't get me wrong I really like the 3 starters and am high on Alston for sure. But this has been a problem position for us the last two years since Edds and Angerer left. I see two young guys Fisher and Perry. Where is DiBona, Poggi, Getz, Spears, and Collins? Some of these guys have seen quality time on the field (And been injured, don't get me wrong), but why are these two young guys on the depth chart and not the older players with some game expirience?
I'm sure Collins is probably 3rd string right now behind Morris and Alston and will ST reps, but I am pretty surprised about some of the other guys.

I am a little concerned with the LB position. Don't get me wrong I really like the 3 starters and am high on Alston for sure. But this has been a problem position for us the last two years since Edds and Angerer left. I see two young guys Fisher and Perry. Where is DiBona, Poggi, Getz, Spears, and Collins? Some of these guys have seen quality time on the field (And been injured, don't get me wrong), but why are these two young guys on the depth chart and not the older players with some game expirience?
I'm sure Collins is probably 3rd string right now behind Morris and Alston and will ST reps, but I am pretty surprised about some of the other guys.

Dibona is no longer with the team because of injuries. Spears is now a DE. Poggi seems to have been slowed by injuries as well. Not sure about Getz.

I am looking forward to watching a hopefully healthy Alvis. Should Hawk fans be concerned that Castillo is a #2 corner? I had no confidence in him last season.

Dibona is no longer with the team because of injuries. Spears is now a DE. Poggi seems to have been slowed by injuries as well. Not sure about Getz.

Did not know that bout DiBona and should have seen Spears on DE depth. I'm guessing Getz is still recovering from I think a knee injury he suffered against ISU last year and I know Poggi has had all sorts of injuries. I guess I am just worried that depth is gonna be issue there again this year. Which is probably not a good thing with an undersized starting LB group.
Also, didn't Donatell play some LB last year?

Last edited:
First time I have looked at a recent two deep. I have to admit ... I like what I see. I honestly think this season will exceed our expectations ... I think 8-4 is very doable, and if we get things rolling then we might even sneak in a 9th win ... Love our Oline; linebackers; Dbacks ... And, I think the d-line will find its groove. There is some talent there. And I think Reese Morgan will get them playing together ...

I like seeing Travis Perry in the two-deep as a RsFr. He is a fantastic talent who I am still surprised Iowa got as a walk-on.
Noticed that too. He turned down ISU and UNI schollys to come too. He was a wr and safety in HS. He must have put on some weight. My cousin was qb and mlb in same hs class as him. He's starting middle LB at UNI now.

Did not know that bout DiBona and should have seen Spears on DE depth. I'm guessing Getz is still recovering from I think a knee injury he suffered against ISU last year and I know Poggi has had all sorts of injuries. I guess I am just worried that depth is gonna be issue there again this year. Which is probably not a good thing with an undersized starting LB group.Also, didn't Donatell play some LB last year?

the 4 top lbs have the ability to move around if 1 goes down. the other 2 in the top 6 are supposed to be really good and have climbed the depth chart incredibly fast.

if morris goes down...alston steps in.
if hitchens or kirksey goes down...morris moves to another lb spot and alston goes to mlb.
then you have donatell and lowdermilk who are bigger safeties that could help out also.

dibona kept scholly and is finishing school just not playing. getz had the knee injury...dont think he will be ready to play until 1/3 or 1/2 way through the season (i could be wrong but it is typically a yr with his injury i think). poggi has had a multitude of injuries but if he can get healthy he will supply depth and special teams.

What about Campbell at cornerback? I thought since he didn't redshirt last season he might be in competition to take one of the back up Cornerback spots.

Latest posts