2 Deeps for UNI

This is a national championship caliber 2 deep roster. I look forward to seeing the team play this year. Every position looks strong.

Ya, really reminds me of Bama and FSU....honestly, I don't get what you are talking about

Ya, really reminds me of Bama and FSU....honestly, I don't get what you are talking about

Plenty of Iowa teams that might not of had the stars in recruiting have ended up being able to compete with the Bamas and FSUs of the world.

He will play plenty. The 2 deeps have never really meant anything at Iowa.

I also think Bullock will play plenty. Given what I've seen in the past, I'm not sure that's a good thing. Hopefully he takes a step forward. He is fine as a 3rd down back IMO.

Ferentz 101 (despite the fact that many say it's a myth): play the upperclassman, risk management over play-making ability.

Ferentz 101 (despite the fact that many say it's a myth): play the upperclassman, risk management over play-making ability.

While he does not always default to the upper-classman, all else being equal, he will choose the more experienced player. I doubt this is all about risk-management (although some aspect probably is). I am sure much of it comes down to rewarding a player who has worked his tail off in your program, done things the right way, and been a leader for multiple years. This is the fair approach, and it is the approach that will earn the respect of your players. If you want to tear apart a locker-room in a hurry, play a young guy because of his "potential" in front of an older guy who is just as good and has put in his time.

Perry (Jr) co starter with Bower (Fr)
Spearman (So.) Jewell (Fr) and Bowers (Fr) ahead of Cole Fischer (Jr)
Draper (JR) behind Mabin (So) and Fleming (So)
Meier (Jr) co starter with incumbent Hardy (Sr)
Bazata (Fr) co backup with Johnson (So)

It is almost laughable how some people cling to the things they WANT to be facts, instead of actual facts. I'd bet over KF 15 years you might, (and I stress MIGHT) be able to find KF playing a less talented upperclassman over a more talented underclassman less than 5 times, and even those would be highly debatable.

It is almost laughable how some people cling to the things they WANT to be facts, instead of actual facts. I'd bet over KF 15 years you might, (and I stress MIGHT) be able to find KF playing a less talented upperclassman over a more talented underclassman less than 5 times, and even those would be highly debatable.

Some fans just stick with their narrative. Like the Wisky fake-punt tale that insists that KF was not ready, while in fact ,they had punt-safe called, but did not execute it on the field. Or that KF never gambles late in half or games, while just last year vs NIU, he gambled with Jake in the end, and Jake threw a game-losing pick.
Or that KF always loses games that we should win, but last year we beat every team below us, and lost to the teams ahead of us...yes, NIU was undefeated and ranked the whole season until dropping the MAC title game.
Wis, MSU, OSU, LSU and NIU...all higher rated teams..our only losses.

Between those 2 teams I think I can name one player, and he's not even played a down. I don't care one bit about those 2 teams and they could lose every game this year for all I care. I am just looking forward to seeing Iowa play.

Can't help but wonder what happened to Ward on the OLine. I thought he would be battling for that LG spot that Welsh seems to have won. I was hearing last year that he might be the future RT someday...

Hurt? Anyone know?

i have wondered this too. I heard he had a similar mean streak to scherff and Blythe. Thought he would be at rt or guard.

Adam Shada SR. starting over Brad Fletcher JR.

Like I said, you might be able to find it happening less than 5 times in 15 years. Plus I don't even know if I'll give you that one. Fletcher didn't do anything at all until his SR year, he wasn't flashing or even competing for that spot. Got 5 more examples, that aren't some unheard of competition, or weak like this one?

Kirk will start the player who practices hardest, assuming that player has the requisite physical skills. This sets the tone for solid practices which are essential for a developmental program like Iowa. This isn't to say Fletcher wasn't practicing hard, just saying this is one reason you may see a 'lesser player' start over the super talented kid.

Kirk will start the player who practices hardest, assuming that player has the requisite physical skills. This sets the tone for solid practices which are essential for a developmental program like Iowa. This isn't to say Fletcher wasn't practicing hard, just saying this is one reason you may see a 'lesser player' start over the super talented kid.

I remember an interview with CJ where he said about the same. When he was a Fr he got some, but limited playing time. He came out and said when he started working hard OFF the field is when his playing time went up.

It is just idiotic to say KF plays the lessor talented upperclassman, especially when you can come up with 7 underclassman overtaking the upperclassmen for every 1 supposed example they come up with. I listed 7 underclassmen in the 2 deeps for the first time over upperclassmen......and Malaise breaks out a single 6 or 7 year old example......

Can't help but wonder what happened to Ward on the OLine. I thought he would be battling for that LG spot that Welsh seems to have won. I was hearing last year that he might be the future RT someday...

Hurt? Anyone know?

I don't think Ward has lost his way. He has substituted at both guard and tackle in the past and can be expected to continue to do so. I believe he has also been practicing as TE in the Jumbo. He is more experienced and flexible than the underclassmen listed in the two deeps.

By contrast the underclassmen Boettger, Myers, Kappy, and Croston all seem to be at the stage where need to learn their spot without moving around a lot. They all seem to be on schedule but need further development.

Latest posts