2 Deeps for UNI

Just a couple things that caught my eye, we have 12 starters (3 WR, 1 TE, 1 FB, 1 RB) Is that normal to list 3 WR spots???

Weisman/Bullock as co starters
Co starters at 2 LB spots

Is it crazy to think the TE who burnt the OSU team deep can't crack the 2 deeps? (Duzey)

Just a couple things that caught my eye, we have 12 starters (3 WR, 1 TE, 1 FB, 1 RB) Is that normal to list 3 WR spots???

Weisman/Bullock as co starters
Co starters at 2 LB spots

Is it crazy to think the TE who burnt the OSU team deep can't crack the 2 deeps? (Duzey)
He will play plenty. The 2 deeps have never really meant anything at Iowa.

I also think Bullock will play plenty. Given what I've seen in the past, I'm not sure that's a good thing. Hopefully he takes a step forward. He is fine as a 3rd down back IMO.

Mabin over Fleming at cb, as for right now anyway....otherwise no real surprises, but very thin at o-line with two walkons, Croston, and Myers an injury away from playing....yikes.

A few interesting moves on Defense:

Meier might have beaten out Hardy at DE, which has to be considered positive if true, because Hardy was playing last year.

Mabin appears to have beaten out both Fleming and Draper, which is also good, because those two played last year.

We appear to have a Top 5 at LB--Alston, Spearman, Perry, Jewel, and Bower, but only Alston's spot is secure. It looks like the competition for the other two spots will continue into the season.

Cooper isn't listed at DT. I think it is because he is hurt. He's been pretty productive, so if the under classmen have beaten him out that is pretty surprising.

Mabin has some size to him. If he's performing as well or better than Flemming and Draper then I can definitely see why he would get the nod. I'm excited to see what he brings to the table.

I know players improve, and Draper has been on the field some in nickel situations. I hope it doesn't sound like I'm being too hard on the kid, but I have to admit I'm glad Draper wasn't named the starter. He has made some obvious mistakes on the field that have cost the Hawks. For some reason, that's all I think about when I hear his name.

Mabin over Fleming at cb, as for right now anyway....otherwise no real surprises, but very thin at o-line with two walkons, Croston, and Myers an injury away from playing....yikes.

Yes a little thin on depth, but I've heard good things about these guys too, although 2014 is probably too soon for them to see key PT. It's possible they would shuffle the OL around if injury occurred. KF always plays best 5 guys. Not sure Myers and Croston on #6 and 7 overall but certainly could be.

Yes a little thin on depth, but I've heard good things about these guys too, although 2014 is probably too soon for them to see key PT. It's possible they would shuffle the OL around if injury occurred. KF always plays best 5 guys. Not sure Myers and Croston on #6 and 7 overall but certainly could be.

I am curious as to what happened to Ward. He was in consideration to start in Spring ball and now does not even appear on the two deep.

Can't help but wonder what happened to Ward on the OLine. I thought he would be battling for that LG spot that Welsh seems to have won. I was hearing last year that he might be the future RT someday...

Hurt? Anyone know?

^Sounds like more fun than going to work everyday.

He's got a pretty wicked tattoo for his travels, too. Got a world map across his chest, which is a cool interactive tat where he can add where he's been and what he's done in those places.

As for the 12 starters on offense, I'm guessing that we are probably going to run a lot more 3-receiver sets, which would usually take the fullback off the field. But Plewa is the first string fullback, so he's listed, too.

This is a national championship caliber 2 deep roster. I look forward to seeing the team play this year. Every position looks strong.

Latest posts