1985 Iowa Football

bigjim

I was watching Big Ten Elite tonight and thinking back when I was a kid watching the Hawkeyes play on Saturdays with my uncle who was a die hard Chuck Long fan. That's how I ended up being a big Hawkeye fan growing up. I was always wearing Iowa shirts and hats thanks to my uncle LOL. I remember all the time people asking me when I was in school how in the world did u become a Iowa fan. I would just laugh and say I really don't know it just happened over time watching them play on Saturdays. It brought back a lot of memories watching Chuck Long sling the pig skin allover the field. Over the years I had kinda forgot how awesome of a player he really was. The only thing I can say is GO HAWKS!

Bigjim - While you were watching classic Iowa Football tonight, I was wondering why it is that a coach making 4 million per actually has some poeple trying to reason another extension....this given the fact that Iowa has not cracked the Top 25 for even one week in almost FIVE years. Good thing this is Texas where I forgot and left my my gun under the seat of my car and didn't have it next to me.

I just don't see how Barta can keep Kurt around if we have another way below average season. Sitting and watching the games this I couldn't help but think the game is passing Kurt by. I'm kinda like a lot Iowa fans is getting very hard to see us getting any better with Ferentz here. I really can't wait to see how this season goes.

I am totally with you. I used to enjoy when people would share old game footage from the 80's, but now it just makes me very sad and pi**ed off realizing what a colossal mess we are currently....and with ZERO promise under Dirk.

Wining makes any type or style of football worth watching. But absent of winning, kfootball is boring to watch and we lose almost as many as we win. I think bigJ hit on something fundamental with Iowa fans. Hayden brought an exciting brand of offensive football to Iowa and the Big Ten. Seven win regular seasons (11 game seasons) were palatable because we were fun to watch; at times, a basketball team on turf.

From '01 - '05 and '08 and '09, our style was boring but we won. We were the bullies because we would punch you and win the close game. That was the excitement. We 'knew' we would win the close game. Today, we're waiting to watch our opponents come back and beat us because our ultra-conservative game management allows them to. Now we're not winning AND the games are painful to watch.

If kfootball changes his offensive philosophy to one of 'attack' like Hayden, then I could live with just 8 wins this season and giving him another chance in '16. However, without utilizing an 'attack' mentality, 8 wins or less would not be acceptable. There are not 4 losses on our schedule. I would only give kfootball the benefit of the doubt if he changes his mentality to 'attack'. Otherwise, I'm about finished watching boring-ball.

Bigjim - While you were watching classic Iowa Football tonight, I was wondering why it is that a coach making 4 million per actually has some poeple trying to reason another extension....this given the fact that Iowa has not cracked the Top 25 for even one week in almost FIVE years. Good thing this is Texas where I forgot and left my my gun under the seat of my car and didn't have it next to me.

What an insightful post. And what a fantastic job you did with the salary info. None of knew that! The folks at "talkingpoints.com" and "ihate -percenters.com" must look at you with obvious pride. You'll make fine stand-in protester some day!

It can be down right depressing watching how far our program has went down hill. Watching our Hawks play and lose to the teams with far better talent doesn't bother me near as bad as watching us shoot our self's in the foot in the games we should win. As I said in a earlier post the Nebraska game last season is the game that got me to the point that I'm starting to agree with a lot of Iowa fans that its really time for a change. I grew up a very big fan of Iowa & Tennessee. Its been a nightmare to see how far both of my programs have dropped in recent years. Tenn starting going down hill after their good 07 season. Then here's comes our Hawks. After the BCS Orange bowl win we started on a downhill rollercoaster that hasn't stopped yet. W

Congratulations! While bigjim was enjoying his evening you were wallowing
in self inflicted misery. What an extraordinary life you lead!

Who said anything about wallowing in misery? You think I let Kirk's horrific coaching ruin my life...no way....just stating some facts about how bad things are...and will continue to be under Kirk. Fact....look it up!

Who said anything about wallowing in misery? You think I let Kirk's horrific coaching ruin my life...no way....just stating some facts about how bad things are...and will continue to be under Kirk. Fact....look it up!

kfootball apologists can't handle the truth, sometimes. The ones left are approaching zealot-hood.

Please elaborate.
Simply meaning, the usual performance of this team should tell you that there most likely are at least 4 losses on the schedule. I don't like it and want better, but that's the way it is. I know Jon says history doesn't strap on a helmet, but it sure seems to quite often.

Simply meaning, the usual performance of this team should tell you that there most likely are at least 4 losses on the schedule. I don't like it and want better, but that's the way it is. I know Jon says history doesn't strap on a helmet, but it sure seems to quite often.

Mose, there aren't 4 losses on this schedule. However, our HC produces them. That is the point. I'm more than aware of the losses that should have never been.

Iowa can maybe "Surprise" some people this year....but that would be due largely to the pathetic schedule. No way do we have the talent to truly "Surprise" like we did in 2009....those years are long gone due to Kirk's laziness and stubborn ways in both recruiting and coaching philosophy.

Who's wanting Kirk to get an extension? I haven't seen a pro Kirk post for a long time.

doch - While nobody is starting threads in favor of it, I have seen several posters on numerous sites talking about how if he goes 8-4 this year he may need an additional 1-2 years added on to his deal to insure preps next year will stay interested in the program and that current new recruits will stay.

No way will there be an extension, barring 9-10+ win seasons in the next couple years, and even then I would hope to God it would only be 1-2 years with the priority being a transition plan or coach in waiting plan already in place...which actually needs to be starting now. Either way, I think 2020 is Kirk's last year. Unless of course we have sub 7 win years this and/or next year...then I believe '16 will be his last year. 6-6 or worse this year and I think he might go, and he should.

Latest posts