1981 #6 UCLA at Iowa and 1985 #3 Iowa at Iowa State Highlight Videos

Thanks for posting. I only watched the ISU blow out. Hayden would let his team continue to attack regardless of the score. KF, does it differently

I was at the UCLA game. It was no contest as Iowa's defense totally dominated the entire game. If it weren't for the two fumbles Iowa would have blown them out. It was such a treat to watch Tippett and Reggie play. Man could Reggie punt that ball. Iowa has never had a punter like that since. Their offense had trouble keeping Tippett out of the backfield the whole game even though they were double teaming him.

Attended both of those games. Went to the one in Ames with my Dad that year. Believe they sat us in the north end zone. A little chilly and kind of rainy is how I remember it.

Did you see how terribly coached that Iowa State game was? Imagine a coach throwing for 4 touchdowns after getting a 27-0 lead. One of them was even by the 2nd string QB on a well covered play. What a dumb decision to even play your back up QB in the 3rd quarter.

At the 4:04 mark of the ISU game you get a shot of Dave Croston, #61 (Cole's dad). He played a year for the Packers.

Comparing the players (linemen, TE;s and line backers, you think today's player with more weight (bellies and all) are better than the more trim one's then?

During 85 Iowa v little brother, Iowa recovers kickoff return fumble at the 20 with about a minute left in the half and up 34-0. Time for two kneel down plays and go to half. Not Hayden. Two passes and Iowa up 41-0. Halftime interview with Hayden and he states that if they come out strong that he will take out Long halfway through the third quarter. That is how you build depth for the current and upcoming year. Also, how to create a generation of Cyclone hate towards Iowa.

During 85 Iowa v little brother, Iowa recovers kickoff return fumble at the 20 with about a minute left in the half and up 34-0. Time for two kneel down plays and go to half. Not Hayden. Two passes and Iowa up 41-0. Halftime interview with Hayden and he states that if they come out strong that he will take out Long halfway through the third quarter. That is how you build depth for the current and upcoming year. Also, how to create a generation of Cyclone hate towards Iowa.
Some quick stats that have zero scientific value...

Iowa vs. Iowa State all time score

1,394 - 818, 42-22 record​

Hayden Fry era, 20 games

655 - 299, 16-4 record
32.75 PPG
Average MOV, 25.00​

Kirk Ferentz era, 18 Games

420 - 309, 9-9 record
21.00 PPG
Average MOV, 18.56
Like I said there is obviously no analysis behind these numbers but one could at least start the conversation that Hayden Fry kept his foot on the gas full time and Kirk doesn't. His average MOV was over 6 points higher than Kirk's. That to me isn't explainable by Iowa State maybe having worse teams than they do now; 38 years is a lot of seasons to sample from.

Even worse to look at, during the Ferentz era's 9 losses, 7 of them were by less than 10 pts:

'99 - 7 pts
'01 - 3 pts
'02 - 5 pts
'07 - 2 pts
'11 - 3 pts
'12 - 3 pts
'14 - 3 pts
One could say that's good because we didn't get stomped, but I'd also argue that if they were that close we had a better shot to win those.

I'm not claiming that Ferentz lost games to ISU because he wasn't trying to score...that'd be absurd. And it's also only stats from Iowa vs ISU...I'm way too lazy to do this against the rest of the B1G. But when you look at the two coaches side by side it's hard to argue that Fry's aggressiveness didn't help him win ballgames. Kirk should have learned the phrase, "If you don't like it, stop it" a long time ago.

I was in elementary school for the UCLA game, but I was there. Me and a buddy snuck into the game, it was so easy back then, and we sat in one of the grassy corners. Games I snuck into that year were Nebraska, UCLA & Indiana.

Ronnie Harmon's TD at about the 4:48 mark for the isu game is off the charts incredible

Last edited:
I just realized that the UCLA game above was the game in Kinnick. Thought it was a rose bowl and did not click. Now I feel safe. I'l watch. I was there, What a freeking blast that was.

Thanks for posting. I only watched the ISU blow out. Hayden would let his team continue to attack regardless of the score. KF, does it differently
Shades & stylin' white pants...(double-check)
Screw courtesies, keep our foot on the gas till the clock says 0:00...(check)
Actually saying something with substance in the half-time interview...(check)
Yet another woodshed beat-down Cyclone style ....(check)
Hayden is and will always be THE MAN!

Attended both of those games. Went to the one in Ames with my Dad that year. Believe they sat us in the north end zone. A little chilly and kind of rainy is how I remember it.

I also was with my dad at the UCLA game. Those are great memories.

Some quick stats that have zero scientific value...

Iowa vs. Iowa State all time score

1,394 - 818, 42-22 record​

Hayden Fry era, 20 games

655 - 299, 16-4 record
32.75 PPG
Average MOV, 25.00​

Kirk Ferentz era, 18 Games

420 - 309, 9-9 record
21.00 PPG
Average MOV, 18.56
Like I said there is obviously no analysis behind these numbers but one could at least start the conversation that Hayden Fry kept his foot on the gas full time and Kirk doesn't. His average MOV was over 6 points higher than Kirk's. That to me isn't explainable by Iowa State maybe having worse teams than they do now; 38 years is a lot of seasons to sample from.

Even worse to look at, during the Ferentz era's 9 losses, 7 of them were by less than 10 pts:

'99 - 7 pts
'01 - 3 pts
'02 - 5 pts
'07 - 2 pts
'11 - 3 pts
'12 - 3 pts
'14 - 3 pts
One could say that's good because we didn't get stomped, but I'd also argue that if they were that close we had a better shot to win those.

I'm not claiming that Ferentz lost games to ISU because he wasn't trying to score...that'd be absurd. And it's also only stats from Iowa vs ISU...I'm way too lazy to do this against the rest of the B1G. But when you look at the two coaches side by side it's hard to argue that Fry's aggressiveness didn't help him win ballgames. Kirk should have learned the phrase, "If you don't like it, stop it" a long time ago.

I'd say in last year's game the foot was firmly on the gas all the way.

I also was with my dad at the UCLA game. Those are great memories.

Yep. That ISU game was the first away game I ever went to. Was kind of surprised their stadium was full, but I guess this game is always a big one in state no matter where.

I think that UCLA game is the one where Lon Olenczak (spelling) broke his leg. remember that for some reason.

That 81 defense was relentless.
And look at the guts by Hayden. Up 13 late and he throws out an onside kick. Nice.

Great memory. Now to watch the ISU blowout.

Wow. I love that 85 offense.
Happel and Helverson. Awesome.
As much as I hate Harmon today, he was a damn fine running back.

And I started watching the NW highlights. Did Iowa start with 3 straight passes?

Latest posts