1969-1970 Iowa basketball

There was a poll on this web-site a couple of years ago.....pick the greatest Iowa players ever, you could tell the age of the people by who they picked, they would give you a choice; Steve Carfino or BJ Armstrong; something like that, and they would keep going. My point is that it had no Sam Williams, no Freddy Brown, no John Johnson.

Folks this 1970 team was the greatest Iowa team ever....no debate. And the only team in this state that may have been in the same league was the 1969 Drake team. Not the 1980, or 56 or 86 Hawks. Look at all of those players that later played professionally. I hope I live long enough to see an Iowa team even close to their talent level and a coach as good as Ralph Miller.

Last edited:
There was a poll on this web-site a couple of years ago.....pick the greatest Iowa players ever, you could tell the age of the people by who they picked, they would give you a choice; Steve Carfino or BJ Armstrong; something like that, and they would keep going. My point is that it had no Sam Williams, no Freddy Brown, no John Johnson.

Folks this 1970 team was the greatest Iowa team ever....no debate. And the only team in this state that may have been in same league was the 1969 Drake team. Not the 1980, or 56 or 86 Hawks. Look at all of those players that later played professionally. I hope I live long enough to see an Iowa team even close to their talent level and a coach as good as Ralph Miller.

Iowa in '1970 and Drake 1969 could and should have been National Champions

The two best teams in the State from that period of time till now

I was living in Philadelphia when the Hawks made the Final Four in 1955

And played for the National Championship in 1956

Might not see their equal for another 50/60 years or

Until the end of time

:cool:

I agree with everything said. Just an awesome team. They could grab a defensive rebound and lay it in at the other in very quickly with mostly passing and few dribbles.

The last minutes comeback at Purdue that year scoring about the last 10 points to win 108-107 I think was amazing. Just a great bunch of players. They took it out on Notre Dame after losing to Jacksonville but putting on a clinic and scoring 75 points in the first half. Amazing, And they played defense.

If you havent seen the game at Purdue I think you might find it at the official Iowa Sports website and maybe at BTN.

Last edited:
I agree with everything said. Just an awesome team. They could grab a defensive rebound and lay it in at the other in very quickly with mostly passing and few dribbles.

The last minutes comeback at Purdue that year scoring about the last 10 points to win 108-107 I think was amazing. Just a great bunch of players. They took it out on Notre Dame after losing to Jacksonville but putting on a clinic and scoring 75 points in the first half. Amazing, And they played defense.

If you havent seen the game at Purdue I think you might find it at the official Iowa Sports website and maybe at BTN.

The Iowa @ Pudue: 2/28/1970 was considered at the time to be one of the best college basketball games ever played.....

The Dealers roll to a title

https://www.si.com/vault/1970/03/09/554132/the-dealers-roll-to-a-title

I:cool:

Latest posts