174 bracket redrawn!

pin2win

@hagertony
Because of the withdrawal of a seeded wrestler at 174 (Spangler) that bracket has been redrawn. Sheptock moves up into the 12th seed

EL has a good chance of getting some bonus points for the hawks

http://www.ncaa.com/content/2012-di-wrestling-brackets

(5) Ethen Lofthouse (IOWA) 24-7
VS
Dave Foxen (BROWN) 17-12

updated brackets

(1) Edward Ruth (PSU) 26-0
Jim Resnick (RIDER) 18-4

Dorian Henderson (MIZZ) 19-11
Kyle Czarnecki (BU) 23-11

(9) Nick Heflin (OSU) 23-8
Nick Purdue (OHIO) 19-8

Ethan Headlee (PITT) 15-7
(8) Leroy Munster (NW) 23-10

(winner of lofthouse match)
Seth Creasy (LOCKH) 17-13

Kyle Detmer (OKLA) 10-9
(12) Jimmy Sheptock (MD) 24-4

Patrick Martinez (WYO) 34-10
Lance Bryson (WVA) 24-14

Levi Clemons (CHATT) 21-14
(4) Logan Storley (MINN) 23-6

(3) Nick Amuchastegui (STAN) 20-0
Peter Huntley (NAVY) 21-10

Quinton Godley (NCSU) 31-13
Tyler Koehn (NEB) 18-12

(11) Justin Zeerip (MICH) 21-6
Greg Zannetti (RUTG) 30-4

Phillip Joseph (EMICH) 20-8
(6) Ryan DesRoches (CPOLY) 24-3

(7) Jordan Blanton (ILL) 25-7
Turtogtokh Luvsandorj (CIT) 30-9

Ryan Leblanc (IND) 29-14
(10) Te Edwards (ODU) 21-3

Mike Dessino (BLOOM) 29-9
Curran Jacobs (MSU) 24-12

Chris Moon (VATECH) 19-13
(2) Chris Perry (OKST) 26-0

Last edited:
Good for Ethen to get another shot at bonus. Feel bad for Spangler, though. Tough break for that kid.

I thought you were going to say that they redrew the weight because they had mistakenly put an undefeated returning national runner-up in the third seed.

I thought you were going to say that they redrew the weight because they had mistakenly put an undefeated returning national runner-up in the third seed.

Nope he is still at the #3 spot and its still BS! Dont understand this at all he made Ruth quit last year. On the bright side Ethen gets an extra shot at bonus and that helps the Hawks.

Total BS that Nick Amuchastegui did Not receive at least the #2 seed.
(I thought he deserved #1 seed based on his victory over Ruth last year at Nationals)

How Chris Perry is the #2 seed is beyond me. Talk about Politics at their best.

Total BS that Nick Amuchastegui did Not receive at least the #2 seed.(I thought he deserved #1 seed based on his victory over Ruth last year at Nationals)How Chris Perry is the #2 seed is beyond me. Talk about Politics at their best.

The conspiracy theorist in me wants to say its a way of improving Ruths (and PSUs) chances of getting into finals

I wasnt being serious, just stirring the pot. Yet I still have not heard one valid argument against "mooch" or for Ruth and Perry. This isnt just based on math or a formula where You plug in the numbers theres an allowance for "This guy has a better record but this other guy is a better wrestler". It just seems like a mistake, but they dont just make mistakes, so what is the rationale?

Unrelated, but related, note: doesnt it seem like there was a concious effort to make all conference finals rematches occur before the final? Just in the big ten 133, 165, 174, eiwa 157, 285 and 157 if it goes to seed will feature a top half rematch of eiwa finals and a bottkm half of big ten finals rematch. Just seems odd, maybe its an effort to feature more conferences in the finals but in the past there was always an effort to get finalists in opposite sides of the bracket. just something that jumped out at me

Unrelated, but related, note: doesnt it seem like there was a concious effort to make all conference finals rematches occur before the final? Just in the big ten 133, 165, 174, eiwa 157, 285 and 157 if it goes to seed will feature a top half rematch of eiwa finals and a bottkm half of big ten finals rematch. Just seems odd, maybe its an effort to feature more conferences in the finals but in the past there was always an effort to get finalists in opposite sides of the bracket. just something that jumped out at me

Yes it does appear that way. Conscious or unconscious, that's the way the committee drew things up. I think it's unfortunate because of my B1G bias, but maybe it's better for wrestling to let some other conferences share the limelight.

I suppose, but its at the expense of having the two best wrestlers in the finals. Rey and Flores were in last years final and they appear to be the two best heavyweights in the nation(rankings and records aside) yet they will be relegated to a semi-final (or a consi-final if Bobby Telford is on). I think 157 would have been better served to swap the 3 and 4 seeds and a potential Welch/Dake and DSJ/Peppelman semifinals would be 2 great matchups instead of the inevitable super conservative boring matches you get when kids from the same conference meet up for the 4th time.

Latest posts