15:00 w/o a FG is a bad coaching. Very bad coaching. A game we should have won.

skinnykilmer17

I am still a big fan of Fran but he was awful tonight. During that FG drought we had at least 4 timeouts in our pocket and 5 for a good part of OT. If we ever needed to devise something it was then.

His rotations seemed really odd tonight as well. Why so much Ogelsby and McCabe for long stretches? Gesell was out for seemingly a very long time in the 2nd half. Yes, Oleseni struggled but so does McCabe and he rarley gets the quick hook.

But what I am really starting to grow tired of is all of his whining. He needs to whine less and coach more. You have to believe all the time and energy he devotes to his outbursts could be channeled to an area he already is weak in (IMO) and that is in-game coaching.

I am still a big fan of Fran but he was awful tonight. During that FG drought we had at least 4 timeouts in our pocket and 5 for a good part of OT. If we ever needed to devise something it was then.

His rotations seemed really odd tonight as well. Why so much Ogelsby and McCabe for long stretches? Gesell was out for seemingly a very long time in the 2nd half. Yes, Oleseni struggled but so does McCabe and he rarley gets the quick hook.

But what I am really starting to grow tired of is all of his whining. He needs to whine less and coach more. You have to believe all the time and energy he devotes to his outbursts could be channeled to an area he already is weak in (IMO) and that is in-game coaching.

One time that stood out was when Marble went down. The team looked lost and a TO was definitely needed to allow the team to gather themselves

And they also should have called timeout after getting past half court in the last possession of OT. Iowa typically has nice scripted plays out of a timeout

Yes it's a real head scratcher at times.

What I am trying to figure out is if we as fans (myself included) are so hungry for success after such a dark period that we overlook Fran's shortcomings. His lack of in-game coaching and out-of-control temper become so amplified during these important and difficult games .(Wisconsin/Michigan/Michigan St)

Why was Ogelsby in for such a long stretch? I don't believe he even got a shot off during that stretch and there was one possession that we set a least a couple of consecutive screens and he still couldn't free up. He is slow but he was also gassed as that had to be the longest stretch he has played all year. And I believe it was during/after he tweaked his leg??

I know Fran has no confidence in Jok right now but during that drought can't you at least play him for a couple of minutes? He doesn't need screens to get open. Who knows, you may just catch lighting in a bottle.

We do need more shooters obviously. And athletes.

JO was in the game when there was 5 minutes without a dead ball. Fran didn't feel like calling a timeout for the first 39 minutes of the game to sub him out

Who is a better in game coach....Mr. Davis or Fran?

I'd call it a draw.
When the press wasn't working, Mr. Davis kept pressing, and it continued to get beat.

Yes, there were some questionable substitutions and some bad calls, but the horrible FG and FT shooting cost us the game.

And they also should have called timeout after getting past half court in the last possession of OT. Iowa typically has nice scripted plays out of a timeout

Disagree. I have no problem with not using a timeout. MSU's legs are just as tired as ours. Let our senior ball-handler/leading scorer figure out how to either get to the basket or let his drive open up a shot for someone else. The team by now ought to have an idea what they're going to do. Why give Sparty a chance to collect itself and set up a defense? Dev got a shot off, it didn't go in, neither did Mel's attempt at a tip-in.

I'd call it a draw.
When the press wasn't working, Mr. Davis kept pressing, and it continued to get beat.

Yes, there were some questionable substitutions and some bad calls, but the horrible FG and FT shooting cost us the game.

Most of the time I'd say Fran is the better bench coach. Can make the adjustments to keep the Hawks in the game, use players effectively. For a stretch last night, Iowa played some of the best team defense I've ever seen from any team in college basketball.

wow..talk about a whiner and whiners in this thread..Get over yourself. That was the biggest game at Carver in YEARS..We lost by 2 to a top 10 team..But who is responsible for getting Iowa back in that position??? Fran. Izzo has been around for years and he has tem full of top 150 players. Fran is getting it done with players that very few Div I programs wanted. You want something (BIG title) that this team just isn't capable yet.. But it can perhaps make a sweet 16.

Their half court offense is a disaster. Same set. Marble cutting toward the elbow every single time. The one time he actually made a cut other than to the elbow, White found him in the lane and scored, never did it again. Oglesby running the baseline off screens, again same exact cuts, half as screens, never gets open. Same thing every time. Their spacing is god awful as well. If they cant get out and run and score in transistion this team is royally ****ed offensively.

I haven't watched every game this year, but of the ones i've seen (including now 4 of the 5 losses), it seems poor, poor free throw shooting has been the main culprit.

Last edited:
Part of the reason Iowa didn't hit a FG for nearly 15 mins was the same reason we went to the free throw line over 40 times- the guys got fouled on nearly every attempt and couldn't make the shot. MSU players are well coached and taught to foul hard so the chance for a 3 point play is diminished. The reason we lost was that we couldn't hit our free throws. The game plan was clearly to attack the basket and get a depleted team in foul trouble and few players to turn to from the bench. Good game plan and would have worked if we would have made even 70% of our free throws.
If I was Fran, our guys would be shooting free throws all night every night after practice.

Part of the reason Iowa didn't hit a FG for nearly 15 mins was the same reason we went to the free throw line over 40 times- the guys got fouled on nearly every attempt and couldn't make the shot. MSU players are well coached and taught to foul hard so the chance for a 3 point play is diminished. The reason we lost was that we couldn't hit our free throws. The game plan was clearly to attack the basket and get a depleted team in foul trouble and few players to turn to from the bench. Good game plan and would have worked if we would have made even 70% of our free throws.
If I was Fran, our guys would be shooting free throws all night every night after practice.

but they did make 70% of their free throws. The misses came at bad times, so it seemed worse than it really was.

Disagree. I have no problem with not using a timeout. MSU's legs are just as tired as ours. Let our senior ball-handler/leading scorer figure out how to either get to the basket or let his drive open up a shot for someone else. The team by now ought to have an idea what they're going to do. Why give Sparty a chance to collect itself and set up a defense? Dev got a shot off, it didn't go in, neither did Mel's attempt at a tip-in.

On yesterday's occasion I believe a TO might have helped us regain our composure on offense. Both Mighigan and Michigan State concentrated on getting quickly back on D and it hurt our style badly. Our D was extremely good a lot of the time, but perhaps we needed a TO to stop the music for a few minutes to figure out what the h*** to do on offense. I do believe we should have shot more slightly open threes. We were getting nothing inside most of the game. Jarryd is shooting 12 out of 24 from three and Josh is shooting 15 out of 26. Odds are they will make a shot or two if they shoot the d*** three. Almost everything inside was being blocked or we were being mugged while shooting. No complaints about the refs though. They gave us the free throws and we shot 70%. It certainly didn't seem like that though during the game. They did miss a Spartan stepping on the half court line on offense as the announcers mentioned twice.....

No Worries, we are a very good team and will get back to form.....

:rolleyes:

Latest posts