12/31/2018 - KENPOM/SAGARIN BIG TEN COMPOSITE RANKINGS

Iowa had the worst SOS in the B1G. Just imagine how bad it would be if the MSU and WI games weren't included. With a 11-0 non-con, we only need 6 wins to make the NIT since a 17-15 records is the worst we could do. Given the strength of the conference, that may be pretty tough. The six victories I see are 2-NW, 2-Rutgers, IL and IN at home. Losses at Rutgers and at NW are possible, but could be offset by beating NE and/or OSU at home.

Iowa had the worst SOS in the B1G. Just imagine how bad it would be if the MSU and WI games weren't included. With a 11-0 non-con, we only need 6 wins to make the NIT since a 17-15 records is the worst we could do. Given the strength of the conference, that may be pretty tough. The six victories I see are 2-NW, 2-Rutgers, IL and IN at home. Losses at Rutgers and at NW are possible, but could be offset by beating NE and/or OSU at home.

Keep in mind the SOS can be a bit misleading. It appears games against non DI teams do not count towards the calculation. So teams that play multiple games against non DI teams vs those that instead play 300+ ranked DI teams have an advantage which is odd. See UNI vs Iowa as an example (Bemidji State & Dubuque)

upload_2019-1-2_15-15-34.png

Just glance at UNI's schedule and nobody in their right mind would say they have played a tougher slate than Iowa yet alone a top 70 schedule in the country.

upload_2019-1-2_15-18-58.png

Last edited:
The 12 victories I see...

NE
@NW
OSU
@PSU
IL
One of the home games MI & MSU
NW
@RUT
MD
IN
RUT
One of the road games MN, WI & NE

I see 7 BIG wins. Tops. I hope I'm wrong.

Keep in mind the SOS can be a bit misleading. It appears games against non DI teams do not count towards the calculation. So teams that play multiple games against non DI teams vs those that instead play 300+ ranked DI teams have an advantage which is odd. See UNI vs Iowa as an example (Bemidji State & Dubuque)

View attachment 4744

Just glance at UNI's schedule and nobody in their right mind would say they have played a tougher slate than Iowa yet alone a top 70 schedule in the country.

View attachment 4745
That is a good point. I am surprised Kenpom and Sagarin don't factor the non-D1 teams. Perhaps they think the teams that schedule non-D1s are not really in the mix when it comes to determining tourney bids.