10 team conferences

hawk4life73

anyone ever wish we could go back in time? I think 10 team conferences where you play everyone and scrap the title games in favor of an 8 team playoff is the way to go. I know you can't undo what's done, but I would love this. I'm 43 and would love to play all of the traditional B1G teams, have a very defined champion and have a clear cut path to the playoff.

The current system is so bs. The championship games rarely even matter.

I agree that you cant go back to a Big 10 with 10 teams, or probably cant. But I think the main problem is with 14 teams there are going to be a lot more blowouts that do not look good.

Interesting thought.

I loved the old Big Ten. Much more than the current B1G. Even if it was the Big 2 and Little 8.
Just think about the way the game is today. More parity. Teams are closer together. So we would see Iowa win or Wisconsin. And we would get to see Michigan and Ohio St. every year.

I like it. Make it happen.

I say we make the season longer and play everyone in conference. there can never be to much football.

anyone ever wish we could go back in time? I think 10 team conferences where you play everyone and scrap the title games in favor of an 8 team playoff is the way to go. I know you can't undo what's done, but I would love this. I'm 43 and would love to play all of the traditional B1G teams, have a very defined champion and have a clear cut path to the playoff.

The current system is so bs. The championship games rarely even matter.

You can still have an 8 team playoff they way the conferences are now, and even keep the conference title games.

All you'd have to do is add a week to the schedule, or get rid of 1 non-conference game (won't happen, schools make too much easy money off of those home games). Right now there's a 4 team playoff, tack on a week to the end of the schedule and still use bowl games as the round of 4.

P5 conference champs, FCS champ, and two at large bids. As long as the requirements for the 2 at large bids are set in stone before the season no one would have a legitimate bitch on why they didn't make the playoffs.

I agree that you cant go back to a Big 10 with 10 teams, or probably cant. But I think the main problem is with 14 teams there are going to be a lot more blowouts that do not look good.
Adding Penn State and Nebraska was a great thing for the conference (as much as I hate Nebraska). Both of those teams are super competitive and had (at least at the time for Penn State) solid football histories. PSU slit its own throat by encouraging kid rape but that wasn't public knowledge at the time, and looking at it from a strictly sports-related perspective it was great for the B1G. I'm not going to start a shit-throwing war with anyone on whether State College should be fenced off and mustard-gassed or not, so you guys can keep that to yourselves.

Rutgers and Maryland was stupid. That adds two garbage games to every B10 East team's schedule and did nothing for the conference other than money. Those two teams are like ISU...nothing good comes out of the game for their opponents. Beat Maryland or Rutgers and it barely counts as a win, but in the off year you get beat, the sky has all of a sudden fallen.

I love the old Big Ten, you know, back when there were TEN teams in the Big Ten. But those days are gone. And to be honest, that conference make up hasn't been around from the outset. Michigan State joined in 1950, over objection from Michigan. Prior to that, it was the Western Conference, and included University of Chicago, then when Chicago dropped out, it went to the Big Nine, again, back when they worried about being literal.

Latest posts