1 or 2 to Red shirt

ibahawkeye

http://www.thegazette.com/subject/sports/iowa-to-red-shirt-one-maybe-two-players-20151104

Could somebody put an order of the freshman in terms of their recruiting rankings coming in? Moss and Hutton are the candidates listed for the red shirt. I thought one of those guys were one of the top recruits and that Christian Williams was the lowest ranked of the recruits so I was surprised. I could be way off so asking for help.

Anyways, I was way off from the git go because I've been of the belief that you don't red shirt guards.

Per Fran in an interview the other day.......

Q. With Christian Williams, he played nine minutes the other day. Is it pretty safe to say he’s out of that redshirt mix at this point since you need a point guard next year?
FRAN McCAFFERY: I would say he’s probably not going to redshirt, yeah.

Per Fran in an interview the other day.......

Q. With Christian Williams, he played nine minutes the other day. Is it pretty safe to say he’s out of that redshirt mix at this point since you need a point guard next year?
FRAN McCAFFERY: I would say he’s probably not going to redshirt, yeah.

So how did Williams compare in terms of recruiting ranks to these other guys that might? Somebody help me out here.

It is kinda random that the 2 most likely to red shirt as of now are our 2 highest ranked recruits and the one definitely not is our lowest ranked recruit.

Wow do we have a lot of stars over the next few years. Two 4 stars next year, one 4 star the year after, and one 5 star the year after that.

With gessell and clemmons done after this year, Williams needs some b10 play. Fleming is too good too keep off the court. Wagner has to play since woody can't stay out of foul trouble. Moss and Hutton may be two of the three best incoming (Fleming as well) but we're pretty shored up at 2-3-4 between Uthoff, Jok, Uhl, Jones, Ellingson and possibly Baer.

Redshirting kids these days is tricky. All of these kids think they are world beaters (to steal Brand's term), and they all think they should be playing. It is a real shock being relegated to the bench after being a star in HS, whether redshirting or not. Coach McCaffery and the recruits have to be absolutely on the same page or it may just foster discontent and dissension. No team needs that, especially when these kids will be counted on to carry a much larger portion of the load next season.

Once Moss and Hutton learn the system they will be great players for Iowa. They are trying to get playing time where Iowa is deepest in depth. If they do transfer, the Iowa recruiting has gotten better every year, but I doubt they could find two guys better than Moss and Hutton after a year redshirting.

Moss got a late start to college bball and Hutton probably needs to bulk up. I just hope neither gets all pissy and transfers if they do get red shirted.

Just saw a tweeting saying that Moss isn't dressing for the game tonight as he will be redshirting this season.

Just saw a tweeting saying that Moss isn't dressing for the game tonight as he will be redshirting this season.

That's good for Iowa. I hope he is OK with it. When you're 18 years old, sitting out one season of bb must seem like an eternity.

I didn't know people used ESPN basketball recruiting. Bohannon will be a solid player for us but I don't view him as a 4 star recruit

You been scouting him for awhile huh? He looks like a 2 star from the photo I saw of him.

Latest posts