#1 Hawkeyes - #8 Mountaineers NCAA 2nd Round Game Thread

I happen to have some extra time on my hands so I rewatched the game. Trying to be impartial I thought they should have called around 17 more fouls on West Virginia and possibly 7 more on us. I also thought we left 16 points on the floor in the form of open shots we should make.

Yeah, I rewatched the game last night late in the evening

NightOwl and all that, and the WV play seemed really thuglike, they deserved every foul called
and there really should have been many more called

That's one of the many things I love about this basketball team.

They play a beautiful style of free flowing basketball based on skill. They get down the court as fast as any team I've seen, the ball pops around the perimeter, they hit each other on the move and when cutting to the basket.

But to a woman, the team is all dawg. They don't back down to anyone and can grind it out when they have to. It's a mark of competitive greatness.

In some ways, that was one of the more rewarding wins I've seen.
Cause they decided they were winning. And they won that game with the thing that people say they lack. Their defense. Just tenacity and disciplined execution. Signs of a good coach, good coaches, and players who respond. Marshall has been on another level for a few weeks now. And somehow she found a way to turn it up to 12 the other day.

I say this with zero hyperbole. I could go one on one with Clark. Somewhere along the way, I'd get lucky. She'd win 358-2. (OK, maybe a little hyperbole there, but not...depending on how long we played, let's go with 35-2.....say 10-15 minutes). And I would love every minute of getting demolished. It would be tremendous fun.
Playing against Marshall would suck. Once she goes up 2-0, it's over. I could not dribble, pass, or shoot against her. It would be so boring. I would not score once. Unless she let me.

I
In some ways, that was one of the more rewarding wins I've seen.
Cause they decided they were winning. And they won that game with the thing that people say they lack. Their defense. Just tenacity and disciplined execution. Signs of a good coach, good coaches, and players who respond. Marshall has been on another level for a few weeks now. And somehow she found a way to turn it up to 12 the other day.

I say this with zero hyperbole. I could go one on one with Clark. Somewhere along the way, I'd get lucky. She'd win 358-2. (OK, maybe a little hyperbole there, but not...depending on how long we played, let's go with 35-2.....say 10-15 minutes). And I would love every minute of getting demolished. It would be tremendous fun.
Playing against Marshall would suck. Once she goes up 2-0, it's over. I could not dribble, pass, or shoot against her. It would be so boring. I would not score once. Unless she let me.

Hawk D rose to the occasion

Hannah was Tough inside and GABBY MARSHALL stopped them cold on the perimeter

They literally couldn't get a good shot from the perimeter

She tired to prevent them from throwing the ball inbounds, getting in front of the intended
target, slapping the ball out of her hands

The entire team played D with their hands up in their faces

When Gabby had someone trapped without their dribble, Caitlin would come over to harass
them causing panic on the court

The strategy of forcing them to shoot from Deep worked quite well as it did against South Carolina
in last seasons Final Four, one the the Greatest Hawkeye Basketball vIctorie's Ever

Last edited:
The strategy of forcing them to shoot from Deep worked quite well as it did against South Carolina
in last seasons Final Four, one the the Greatest Hawkeye Basketball vIctorie's Ever

I just rewatched that SC game. When I saw the stats on the 3 attempts by WV I thought Bluder & co. set up a defense similar to that game.

But I don't think so. It didn't stand out while watching the game. Maybe a modified version. They didn't entirely give up the perimeter and outright wave off potential shooters. They challenged them more often than not. Like you said Marshall was on them...either in the inbound or right after the inbound. Like a one man press.

The hands in faces...like you said. A basic part of basketball that even I know. The equivalent of catching a baseball with 2 hands. Taught in 3rd grade. Ignored by 5th grade. It's always nottoceable on Gabbie. Hands are up all game. Totally noticed it with Feuerbach the other day. She's got a wingspan! They all did it. Execution of fundamentals is always good. And a coach getting that from players? So much to admire about Coach B and heer staff.

Sure, they collapsed down on D, But nothing like SC. It was more just good defense than it was going in full on a scheme.

It's clearly a tactic. "Take the fouls". Just don't let Clark (or Stuelke) shoot.
Even better if the refs call the game like Saturday or the first half of this game. Mostly effective tactic. But it's like watching the last minute of a close game. For 40 minutes. *yawn* Again. It's sooo similar to the NHL trying to grow its audience in the 90s and 2000s. Call post season games completely different than the regular season. Aggravating. And frankly, WV got screwed by this more than Iowa. First half, they got away with soo much more underneath than the second. Yea, I know you should be able to adjust. But to guess at how it's gonna be?

We definitely got some home-cooking in the 2nd half...crowd played a big role in that, nice job Hawk fans.

Latest posts