#1 Hawkeyes - #3 Huskies Final Four Game Thread

I smell a conspiracy. Think about it.
ESPN broadcast.
ESPN headquartered in Bristol, CONNECTICUT
How many UCONN fans were in that production truck last night?
They never showed the camera angle showing how blatant that illegal screen was. Not even on the morning ESPN shows.

AND most damning they repeatedly shared LeBron’s take on that call this morning.

LOL

What isn’t in doubt is controversy sells.
Just another of my many reasons to totally reject any involvement with ESPeein.

I guess I don't like Staley because of how she turns everything in to a racial issue. Makes her come off as a whiner. Then she said Caitlin should never be considered with the greats if she doesn't win a championship. Not the same type of dislike as Mulkey, but I'm still really turned off by Staley.

So Staley isn’t allowed any push back?

Really? Sending hate mail direct to an opponent? I don’t think so. Do we criticize on this forum? Absolutely. But thats a helluva lot different than attacking a player directly.

If you think Iowa fans are saints, then I don’t know what to tell you. We are as bad as everyone else. Sorry, “the holier than thou” thing is eye rolling.

If you think Iowa fans are saints, then I don’t know what to tell you. We are as bad as everyone else. Sorry, “the holier than thou” thing is eye rolling.
I don’t get it. I see a huge difference between general comments on a forum , peer to peer basically, where we can express frustration or opinion to (hopefully) kindred spirits. But there is a huge line being crossed when people actually reach out to an athlete direct through social media. Maybe I am naive.

Bottom line, Iowa won and that is all I care about. That being said, after watching 18,000 replays of it…I think it was a weak call against Edwards…kudos to Gabby Marshall for selling it.
I get when people say "you can't call that at the end of a game". I think it's a ridiculous thing to think that. But if you do, I at least understand saying it in this situation. But other than that, how can you possibly think it was a weak call? It was as blatant of an illegal screen as it gets.

I get when people say "you can't call that at the end of a game". I think it's a ridiculous thing to think that. But if you do, I at least understand saying it in this situation. But other than that, how can you possibly think it was a weak call? It was as blatant of an illegal screen as it gets.

Those type of hard screens happen all the time in basketball. Gabbie sold it and I am not complaining about it. I will admit total hypocrisy, if the the situation were flipped I would be pissed.

Iowa took a lot of bad calls last night. Maybe these officials, or at least one, didn't want to be the post game conversation to be about the crew that hosed Iowa all night and then overlooked an obvious moving screen to create a U Conn win? The rules apply for 40 minutes.

All that I ever ask is that the call to be correct if calls are made in tight circumstances. I think many officials take pride in their work and bad no calls are as poor a performance as bad calls. Also, we aren't a big ESPN school. ESPN is very much part of creating the BB's clamp on BB status, excluding up and comers. All the journalistic integrity of a fan club.

Also, we aren't a big ESPN school. ESPN is very much part of creating the BB's clamp on BB status, excluding up and comers. All the journalistic integrity of a fan club.
CC & IA's run to the Finals the last 2 years has made ESPN a boatload of $$$. But they will also drum up as much controversy as they possibly can.

Those type of hard screens happen all the time in basketball. Gabbie sold it and I am not complaining about it. I will admit total hypocrisy, if the the situation were flipped I would be pissed.
I'm not sure there's too many blatant moving screens like that in a game that don't get called. Watching the slow mo video of it really shows how hard she slides into her. You say Gabbie sold it but I'm not sure of that at all. A girl that much bigger than her sliding into her like that is going to knock her over every time. That girl is almost an entire foot taller than Gabbie and is far from a twig.

This second part isn't necessarily directed at you. But for the "you can't call that at that point in the game" crowd. How much do you let go because you don't want to "decide the game"? Is it OK if she grabs Gabbe and holds her? Can she throw her to the ground? At some point, if you refuse to make a call so "the players can decide the game", the players can just hold the defense and let Paige drive down for a wide open layup. She can even run over someone if a defenser gets in her way. In my opinion, if there's a foul you have to call it.

CC & IA's run to the Finals the last 2 years has made ESPN a boatload of $$$. But they will also drum up as much controversy as they possibly can.

It's almost like nobody's been paying attention to the last couple years. I mean, I don't want to break the political wall...but I can think of no less than two dozen conspiracies pushed by all sides.. based on tenuous links or non-existant and unfounded realities that have taken up tens of thousands of hours of TV dsicussion and miles of print.

If I owned a sports media company like ESPN/SI/etc....I am churning out shit left and right.

"Clark is the GOAT!"
"Clark is overrated!
"Reese is the bright star of basketball bringing freshness to the game"
"Reese's is sharing too much."
"Iowa fans won't like it but it was a bad call."
"UCONN fans won't like it but it was the right call'

Then I would just sit back and let the clicks and money roll in.

Hell, the NY Times is even doing it.

I'm just choosing not to participate and not give them my clicks and engagement.

Both the sports people. And the political assholes.

Regarding the call, in the heat of the moment while watching the game, I groaned out loud that it wasn't blatant enough to call in that moment. In any sport, you just hate to see officiating impact the outcome of a key play in a pivotal game.

However, after seeing a few replays from a better angle the next day, I came around to accepting it as the correct call. At full game speed in particular, Edwards absolutely lunges laterally and knocks Gabby off her path. You hate to see something like that happen to any team, but the official made the right call.

Seth Davis probably said it best. He said it wasn't even close, and the fact that the penalty occurred in that kind of moment means it's even more important to call it, not less. After considering it more, I think he's right.

Regarding the call, in the heat of the moment while watching the game, I groaned out loud that it wasn't blatant enough to call in that moment. In any sport, you just hate to see officiating impact the outcome of a key play in a pivotal game.

However, after seeing a few replays from a better angle the next day, I came around to accepting it as the correct call. At full game speed in particular, Edwards absolutely lunges laterally and knocks Gabby off her path. You hate to see something like that happen to any team, but the official made the right call.

Seth Davis probably said it best. He said it wasn't even close, and the fact that the penalty occurred in that kind of moment means it's even more important to call it, not less. After considering it more, I think he's right.
I agree. If it was borderline the naysayers may have had a point, and there is a good chance it doesn't get called. But there was nothing borderline with this. She set an illegal screen just about every way an illegal screen could be set.

Latest posts