#1 Hawkeyes - #3 Huskies Final Four Game Thread

So many are saying that you can't call that in that situation. My thing is, with the unwritten rule that "you can't call it at the end of the game", players that know this unwritten rule can set the most blatant illegal screens at the end of the game and know they're going to get away with it.

Also, people are saying "you have to let the players decide the game". Well, she tried to decide that game with an illegal screen.

So many are saying that you can't call that in that situation. My thing is, with the unwritten rule that "you can't call it at the end of the game", players that know this unwritten rule can set the most blatant illegal screens at the end of the game and know they're going to get away with it.

Also, people are saying "you have to let the players decide the game". Well, she tried to decide that game with an illegal screen.
"Refs shouldn't decide the game!" Refs don't decide a game by making the correct call at the end. They decide it by making the wrong call.

If knew how to post pictures, I'd post the picture of Bueckers with one hand tugging on Stuelke's right shoulder and her left arm wrapped all the way around Stuelke's left arm and all the way the way over to her right chest at :09.3 that set up that call.

Obvious foul and should be called no matter what. Anyone who thinks otherwise is an ineffectual human.

Knees leaning into and toward the defender. Feet over a shoulder width apart. Full on chicken wing
I1RpkIU.png

Obvious foul and should be called no matter what. Anyone who thinks otherwise is an ineffectual human.

Knees leaning into and toward the defender. Feet over a shoulder width apart. Full on chicken wing
I1RpkIU.png

I didn't originally think it was worthy of a call.
Just saw a video of a different angle...not one showed on any of the replays.
My opinion has changed.

If knew how to post pictures, I'd post the picture of Bueckers with one hand tugging on Stuelke's right shoulder and her left arm wrapped all the way around Stuelke's left arm and all the way the way over to her right chest at :09.3 that set up that call.
Exactly. I saw that last night, and the full replay showed Bueckers mugging of Hannah

No but Geno might be

So why do people seem to hate this guy? Even Uconn fans grumble about him.
I know there was the Page Bueckers is the best comment. And that ticked off Hawk fans. He's a coach. Not an analyst. Fair game. Other than, from what I saw last night...he's got 3 other players that might be pissed at that comment on his own team.

I think he was kind of funny this week talking about Clark being the best. And going overboard with his praise of her and how there's no reason to give her a grudge....after she dropped 41 on LSU. That's mildly funny and my kind of humor. That's genuine, mildly tactical, but just having some fun. All the clips of him I saw were very genuine and less "coach speak".

Thought he handled the "Uconn didn't recruit Clark" thing that people tried to manufacture really well.

I didn't see the illegal screen in real time. And immediately thought "uh oh, here comes the conspiracy theorists". Until the camera panned to him. That, to my eyes, looked very much like a guy who was mad/sad/dejected and trying his best not to show anger to his players. The body language. Bending over. Looking down. Projecting his anger downwards and literally only yelling at the floor. Even if he didn't buy that call, every other coach ive seen..including Bluder...is in the official's faces going haywire.

I didn't hear what he said about the call in rhe post-game. I just heard him talk genuinely about his team and how it feels to lose that far in.

Unless someone points to the stuff I don't know about him, I'm gonna go ahead and like him. And Uconn. Cause they're a great basketball team, especially knowing they're down like 3 Molly Davis'.

I think it’s technically the correct call but it’s rarely called in that situation.

They would call that illegal pick 10/10 on a ball screen. Probably 6/10 on an off-ball screen. Probably 1/10 on an off-ball screen in that situation. It was a break, and championship teams get breaks. It is not like it completely determined the outcome (UCONN still would have had to make a tough shot under pressure), but it pretty much ended the game.

Word of advice: if someone online doesn't think that should have been called, don't try to convince them otherwise. Just enjoy the win and save your emotional energy for Sunday.

It is not like it completely determined the outcome (UCONN still would have had to make a tough shot under pressure), but it pretty much ended the game.
I agree, but if you really watch the play, the fact that Gabbie wasn't able to stay on Paige's hip made Hannah have to switch. That switch left Edwards wide open for a cut to the basket. The thing that created the need for the screen was Paige cutting to the wing WAY too far away from the screen. Edwards had to extend her screen to be able to do anything at all. It was basically a poorly executed pick-and-roll.

I agree, but if you really watch the play, the fact that Gabbie wasn't able to stay on Paige's hip made Hannah have to switch. That switch left Edwards wide open for a cut to the basket. The thing that created the need for the screen was Paige cutting to the wing WAY too far away from the screen. Edwards had to extend her screen to be able to do anything at all. It was basically a poorly executed pick-and-roll.
You are right Edwards would have a clear path to the basket if Beuckers catches the ball and passes to Edwards.

So why do people seem to hate this guy?
I'm guessing people hated him 10 years ago, because he and his teams were on the top of the world. Now, when they have Mulkey and Staley to compare him to, I don't get it either.

Geno was whining in the postgame.
Thinly veiled comment about Staley. That’s ok I suppose. Ha! But he complained that they had 3 or 4 illegal screens called against them and none on us. Well I just rewatched the game with the alternate broadcast with Bird and Taurasi (highly recommend it) and we weren’t called for one because we didn’t commit one. (And I believe they were only whistled for two).

Interesting. Carolyn Peck said on ESPN this morning it was clearly an illegal screen and needed to be called. She is by no means an Iowa homer.

Furthermore, yes the timing may have been unfortunate but there are multiple calls or no calls throughout that game anyone can point to. Caitlin clearly got fouled on her 3 point attempt with around 7:30 left in the game. Up by three and would have probably been a six point lead. Taurasi even points it out. The regular broadcast said nothing.

Just a real gritty performance by the Hawks.
Winners gonna win.
On to Sunday.

Latest posts