1-0. Your first impressions?

Good enough

Defensively they just have to be “good enough”. Everyone will have a different definition of what that needs to be.

Imo, they are limited on what they can do on the defensive end. With only 3 decent on-the-ball defenders, there’s not much you can do, that’s how this roster is constructed. My main thing is effort and playing smart. You can’t have Peter Jok moments where there is no effort at all on the defensive end.

Right now, I am not as concerned with the defense as everyone else, but that can change.

First, it was great to finally watch some Hawk basketball. It seemed like an eternity.

My take is similar to those posted above.

Our offense has a chance to be scary good if we can make the ball-movement a little faster and crisper. That should come with more PT. Scheming against our offense has to be a nightmare for opposing coaches. Pick your poison.

Defensively, we still have a long ways to go. I'm not convinced our offense will be able to compensate against better teams. Somehow, Fran has to figure out a way to drill basic on-ball fundamentals into this team. The announcers were annoying last night, but the comment about playing defense with your chest was spot on. We are not athletic enough to be sloppy and still recover. Defensive improvement or lack thereof probably will determine how far this team goes.

PMac was a pleasant surprise. I had the same thought about the comparison to Baer, but Patrick is a longer more skillful version. K. Murray likewise showed a maturity that I wasn't expecting. I saw a little Michael Payne in him. Fran has an abundance of pieces to organize. Hopefully, he'll avoid the temptation to play an overly expanded rotation just to get guys minutes. That doesn't always bode well.

Ogundele's lack of conditioning is a little striking. Expecting him to be in tip-top shape isn't realistic, but he didn't look like he has done anything to prepare physically. Obviously, we are all going to cut him some slack here given all of the unusual circumstances, but players at this level have to have that requisite drive to be in shape. Time will tell if he dedicates himself or washes out. Luka is a great role model, but if Ogundele's not internally motivated, it won't matter.
The Pmac to Kenyon Murray comp is a good one.

I however think that the offense can compensate for this team being limited on the defense end. It is about getting key stops, in key moments and not allowing teams to go on big runs. An 8-0 run, can’t turn into a 22-5 run. Too many times during the Fran era that is exactly what has happened and it has been game over.

* Defense remains suspect.......didn't see the intensity and saw the all to usual wide open perimeter shots

* Good board play

* Some good young pieces to look forward to seeing progress

* Big man in the middle for future years is a concern

Still way to early but based only on one early game that would be my take.

You would hope so, but motivation is a finicky thing.

Very little is expected of him right now and he's got plenty of time to right the ship, and his circumstances have been far from ideal to say the least. It's WAY too premature to write him off. Nevertheless, if I was his coach, I'd see his (apparent) lack of dedication and physical preparedness as a bit of a red flag. Something to watch moving forward.
If Fran asked him to come in at a certain weight and he is over that weight i would have a manager bring him in at 5:30 am and have him run the CHA steps every morning until he reaches his weight.

Or better yet have Luka run with him. When Charles Barkley arrived as an overweight rookie with Philadelphia, thinking he could slide by on natural talent, they put him in the hands of Moses Malone. Sir Charles wasn't overweight much longer.

The Pmac to Kenyon Murray comp is a good one.

I however think that the offense can compensate for this team being limited on the defense end. It is about getting key stops, in key moments and not allowing teams to go on big runs. An 8-0 run, can’t turn into a 22-5 run. Too many times during the Fran era that is exactly what has happened and it has been game over.
I was thinking more of a Dom Uhl comp...when Uhl was good.

Don't know what happened to Uhl at the end. He never developed from the potential he showed as a sophomore, then he regressed, then rarely played.

Last edited:
My son recorded the game for me and I watched it earlier this morning.

it’s just the first game and considering that we looked pretty good, BUT there is an area we appear to be weak at especially considering the HUGE height advantage we had.

We look very suspect protecting under our own basket. Way to many easy drives to the rim for the opponent. Hopefully when Jack gets back he can bring some size and power to the post because when Garza is out we look very weak at that position, both defensively and offensively. Top five ranked teams can’t have that kind of weakness.

Also to steal a Trump phrase we also appeared to have two SLEEPY JOES out there this first game.

My son recorded the game for me and I watched it earlier this morning.

it’s just the first game and considering that we looked pretty good, BUT there is an area we appear to be weak at especially considering the HUGE height advantage we had.

We look very suspect protecting under our own basket. Way to many easy drives to the rim for the opponent. Hopefully when Jack gets back he can bring some size and power to the post because when Garza is out we look very weak at that position, both defensively and offensively. Top five ranked teams can’t have that kind of weakness.

Also to steal a Trump phrase we also appeared to have two SLEEPY JOES out there this first game.
I'd prefer SLOPPY JOES. They taste better.

Latest posts