Mason Woods

Hawkfnntn

Just saw that he'd committed to Iowa. So that's sure not nothing.

I've never seen him play but heard he's kind of a tweener. Could put him at WR or TE depending on if he bulks up more. Athletic kid with his old mans work ethic I'd say the skys the limit. I bet he could play D too. So it's hard to say what position he'll end up at just yet.

Now if Epenesa would just commit..

I've never seen him play but heard he's kind of a tweener. Could put him at WR or TE depending on if he bulks up more. Athletic kid with his old mans work ethic I'd say the skys the limit. I bet he could play D too. So it's hard to say what position he'll end up at just yet.

Is eppy playing on the defensive side of the ball like his older brother? The young man is being wise to take his time and weigh out all his options. I wish him nothing but the best in his pursuits. Of course we all know Iowa is the right choice. ;)

This is great news and only confirms LeVar as next HC as IA only hires FB & BB coaches who can coach their sons.

Is eppy playing on the defensive side of the ball like his older brother? The young man is being wise to take his time and weigh out all his options. I wish him nothing but the best in his pursuits. Of course we all know Iowa is the right choice. ;)
Yeah I think the next Eppy is a DE just like AJ. Damn near a spitting image of him from what I've seen. Speaking of AJ I saw he was sitting court side with the best seat in the house to watch Kate Martin hoop last night. They literally grew up together in school. Kates dad coached him the families all know each other really well. Just a really cool thing.

I bet he gets a good look at DE. If he is already 225 and hasn't demonstrated track speed, I don't see him as a WR. So, TE or DE seem most likely. I like recruiting guys that can play multiple positions. Good get.

If I am Little Eppy, I look at where I can walk in and start or near start as a true frosh. From what I have read, he may be better than his brother. But, if he goes to a blue blood, he may not see the field immediately. He can follow the same path as his brother and get onto the field right away at Iowa in an elite defensive system. It makes so much sense it will probably not happen.....

He played both sides of the ball at West. He played a d-back prob corner I think. He's an athletic specimen, that is for sure. Last time I saw him in person at a baseball game, his thighs were like tree trunks. Seems to be a good guy. It seems to me he might have long snapped to as a junior on that West game. I remember it being kind of odd when I saw it.

I bet he gets a good look at DE. If he is already 225 and hasn't demonstrated track speed, I don't see him as a WR. So, TE or DE seem most likely. I like recruiting guys that can play multiple positions. Good get.

If I am Little Eppy, I look at where I can walk in and start or near start as a true frosh. From what I have read, he may be better than his brother. But, if he goes to a blue blood, he may not see the field immediately. He can follow the same path as his brother and get onto the field right away at Iowa in an elite defensive system. It makes so much sense it will probably not happen.....
I very much doubt he's going to end up playing at D end. I've watched him in youth sports and playing at West. He played QB some as a youth and WR. TE and corner in HS so far. I've never seen him line up at D end or even think he has that mentality for that position. Now, can they manufacture that in him, don't know.

Last edited:

He ran the 100 in 11.05 and the 200 in 22.83 this year as a junior, at his height/weight those are definitely serviceable at WR. Almost the same as Reece Vander Zee from up my way, faster than RVZ was as a junior. He's also got probably 15 lbs on him right now.

With another year of Iowa's training regimen (his dad has likely been involved for a while now) I can see him being sub 10 and low 22's.

Oh I bet Eppy could walk in and at worst play on situational passing downs day 1. Just line him up and say sic em. He could work his way into more reps depending on how he does obviously.

Honestly we played Parker Hesse way more then we shoulda early on in AJs tenure he kinda got the upper classman treatment. I can't see Parker making same mistake again. I get what he was doing trying to ease AJ in and he wasn't the greatest against the run early on. But still the rep distribution was pretty slanted and shoulda been more even then it was I thought.

He played both sides of the ball at West. He played a d-back prob corner I think. He's an athletic specimen, that is for sure. Last time I saw him in person at a baseball game, his thighs were like tree trunks. Seems to be a good guy. It seems to me he might have long snapped to as a junior on that West game. I remember it being kind of odd when I saw it.
Alot to be excited about with landing him. If for no other reason then that must mean Dad isn't going anywhere. Granted that can always change but saying yes to Iowa now is sure where I'd rather have us be then not

I would expect this legacy player to be a contributor.

At 6'3" he's right on the line of being too short to be a TE. Plus the heights they show are always inflated.

But they will find a spot for this guy, maybe on D!!

I would expect this legacy player to be a contributor.

At 6'3" he's right on the line of being too short to be a TE. Plus the heights they show are always inflated.

But they will find a spot for this guy, maybe on D!!
Wasn't Tony Moeaki 6'3? Granted he came in as a stout ready to play day 1 kinda prospect too physically. Nowadays yeah 6'4ish seems like the floor for most TEs anymore.

If he's more like a 6'2 215-220 lb WR then he's more like a Brandon Smith type of kid then. We sure aren't passing that up either

He ran the 100 in 11.05 and the 200 in 22.83 this year as a junior, at his height/weight those are definitely serviceable at WR. Almost the same as Reece Vander Zee from up my way, faster than RVZ was as a junior. He's also got probably 15 lbs on him right now.

With another year of Iowa's training regimen (his dad has likely been involved for a while now) I can see him being sub 10 and low 22's.
Agreed. Those are respectable times for a big guy. He could play that big body receiver or bulk up and be a real weapon at a split tight end. If the kids want to make a career playing football, a fast tight end is usually more marketable than an average speed WR.

Agreed. Those are respectable times for a big guy. He could play that big body receiver or bulk up and be a real weapon at a split tight end. If the kids want to make a career playing football, a fast tight end is usually more marketable than an average speed WR.
All I can say from what I have seen of him is his legs are definitely NOT WR legs, at least the typical WR legs. Wonder if they will use him at corner or that hybrid position. He could be that tall corner that teams always want.

All I can say from what I have seen of him is his legs are definitely NOT WR legs, at least the typical WR legs. Wonder if they will use him at corner or that hybrid position. He could be that tall corner that teams always want.
Well, if aint quick enough to play WR, I doubt he has the skillset to be a collegiate corner. I have never seen the kid, but I would guess that at his size he has good straight line speed, but likely not the quick twitch lateral movement you see in smaller guys. If so, CB is not his position in college. My guess is he starts with the WRs and they see what his body does with training table and college lifting.

Scratching my head……………
Of course we don’t know what his finally height and weight will be by the time he gets to college, but with his quickness and his size I am surprised no one has suggested the middle linebacker position.

Scratching my head……………
Of course we don’t know what his finally height and weight will be by the time he gets to college, but with his quickness and his size I am surprised no one has suggested the middle linebacker position.
I could definitely see that.

If he would prefer offense, H-back might be an ideal spot for him, similar to Kyle Juszczyk with the 49ers. That position is coming back in vogue and more and more teams are integrating it. Plus, it fits well with Lester's motion offense concepts that are being implemented.

Latest posts