In-State RB Brevin Doll Chooses Iowa

He's fast fast... Even with the crowded RB room will we see him out there this yr? It'd be a shame to not see what he can do. Give him a package of 5 plays a game 3 runs and 2 pass plays to get comfortable with and situationally put him out there. Can he return kicks? We need playmakers to get the ball in their hands IDC how.

Wow. I ran the 100 and 200, and that is a blazing time for high school.

Not all players translate track speed to game speed, and even if they do there is no guarantee of getting good at the nuances of receiver or RB. A lot to work with there, though.
Or blocking. KF aint putting a true frosh back there before he demonstrates he can read defenses, understand blocking schemes, and throw his body effectively into a blitzing LB.

The kids fast. The room is crowded with experienced guys though. I would be surprised if he gets meaningful snaps absent injury. Prove me wrong, kid!

Given the depth and quality of the RB position probably better to redshirt. No reason to use either freshman RB. But still very eager to see him play.

He just set a state meet record by running a 10.40 in the 100.

I saw a lot of monster times...was there a tail wind?

Wind or no, that is super legit. That is approximately what DK Metcalf ran when he dabbled in some pro track a few offseasons ago.

I saw a lot of monster times...was there a tail wind?

Wind or no, that is super legit. That is approximately what DK Metcalf ran when he dabbled in some pro track a few offseasons ago.
10.4 in the 100m is 21.5 mph. That's crazy.
No tailwind. We were sitting at the finish line; the top 3 guys would've been a meet record, Doll annihilated the other two and made the rest of his heat look like middle schoolers instead of state qualifiers.

The video is here and his heat starts at the 4 hour 37 minute mark.

Doll was already deep in the 10s in his sophomore year, I believe he ran a 10.74 that season. At 6'1" 190 I don't see him as a B1G running back, but if he can play a Charlie Jones/Nick Easley role at WR out of the slot I think they might be on to something. No idea if he has hands or not.

No tailwind. We were sitting at the finish line; the top 3 guys would've been a meet record, Doll annihilated the other two and made the rest of his heat look like middle schoolers instead of state qualifiers.

Doll was already deep in the 10s in his sophomore year, I believe he ran a 10.74 that season. At 6'1" 190 I don't see him as a B1G running back, but if he can play a Charlie Jones/Nick Easley role at WR out of the slot I think they might be on to something. No idea if he has hands or not.
Damn that was crazy.

Also, he clearly has hands. They're right there in the video. Please clean your glasses.

re: that video...Holy shit! Smoked 2 guys running sub-11.

Anyone know if he is a good BB player? That might speak to his WR potential.

Or blocking. KF aint putting a true frosh back there before he demonstrates he can read defenses, understand blocking schemes, and throw his body effectively into a blitzing LB.

The kids fast. The room is crowded with experienced guys though. I would be surprised if he gets meaningful snaps absent injury. Prove me wrong, kid!
This has for far too long been the norm too... And I get that when you're talking about handing over bell cow duties to a kid. But when you have a stacked room with 2 other dudes that can take the lions share of the reps then all this kid needs to do is learn a few plays and go do his thing and not have to think so much

I think in some of his highlights he caught some passes. But yeah a guy like him should be used every which way a versatile weapon should. Line him up in backfield or the slot and put him in motion every which way you can to get him in space. The good ole fashioned wheel route out of the backfield often works well against man to man coverage.

This has for far too long been the norm too... And I get that when you're talking about handing over bell cow duties to a kid. But when you have a stacked room with 2 other dudes that can take the lions share of the reps then all this kid needs to do is learn a few plays and go do his thing and not have to think so much

I think in some of his highlights he caught some passes. But yeah a guy like him should be used every which way a versatile weapon should. Line him up in backfield or the slot and put him in motion every which way you can to get him in space. The good ole fashioned wheel route out of the backfield often works well against man to man coverage.
All good ideas but a year to learn the system, learn something more about blocking, which is a very important part of running back play, although perhaps less so in the new offense. There four and maybe five guys in the RB room that will be around this season that have either proven to be valuable runners. or (Washington) shown big upsides. Hate to waste a season on a handful of plays.

Last edited:
All good ideas but a year to learn the system, learn something more about blocking, which is a very important part of running back play, although perhaps less so in the new offense. There four and maybe five guys in the RB room that will be around this season that have either proven to be valuable runners. or (Washington) shown big upsides. Hate to waste a season on a handful of plays.
Good RBs don't stick around 5 yrs anyway and they are replaceable. If you can get impactful play from a freshman be it 5 snaps a game you don't worry about burning a redshirt.. Especially not in todays college football. Ease him in early in the yr and as yr goes on add more to his plate when he shows what he can handle. If it looks like blocking is an issue with him early on then don't run plays where he'd have to do it.

Good RBs don't stick around 5 yrs anyway and they are replaceable. If you can get impactful play from a freshman be it 5 snaps a game you don't worry about burning a redshirt.. Especially not in todays college football. Ease him in early in the yr and as yr goes on add more to his plate when he shows what he can handle. If it looks like blocking is an issue with him early on then don't run plays where he'd have to do it.
He can play up to four games and still redshirt. But, I could see them using him in the return game and other special teams play. Kind of like Cooper. Limited to what he did his freshman year and he was in on more and more special teams as the year went on.

This is thinking outside the box somewhat here, but I wouldn't be shocked if Brevin ultimately ends up at LB.

His athletic skill set and running style reminds me a lot of former Notre Dame linebacker Jalyn Smith. Like Doll, Smith was a lightening fast RB with a "one-cut" hit the hole style that switched to inside LB. He ended up excelling with his sideline to sideline speed. Also like Doll, Smith looked a little robotic at times at RB and lacked some of that natural feel in terms of vision and balance.

Probably won't come to fruition, but it wouldn't shock me.

Latest posts