Brendan Sullivan Commits to Hawkeyes

If Seth Wallace ever becomes head coach of the Iowa football team, I'm done paying attention to the program until he's gone. People here can write that down. I'll come back immediately when and if he leaves. As a person with a kid who has a lot of the same issues as Kallenberger I can't root for a team where that guy is in charge and supposed to be fostering the culture.
Fry, I appreciate your position and your passion. The only thing I would ask you to consider is whether Wallace has changed and deserves some grace. To be clear, I don't know the guy at all or his heart. But, KF was the captain of this ship and was aware at some level what Doyle was and had to know some of the shitty culture that he was allowing to take place under this watch. He was appropriately chastised and made changes to the program for the better. Obviously, you are still a fan right now despite that KF, and Wallace and BF all remained. So, either you looked past it and decided to stay a fan, or offered KF some grace that people can realize mistakes and make changes for the better.

Maybe Wallace was a relatively young coach seeing what established coaches in the KF world did and thought it was okay or part of the culture that KF wanted, and he went along with it. Or, maybe he was the ring leader. I don't know. What I do know is that I treated a lot of people poorly in high school and beyond. Bullying and picking on others was absolutely part of high school culture in the 90s in small town Iowa. I hope I am not judged by some of my worst acts and words from long ago, and that people realize that people can change and become something more. I sincerely hope Wallace and KF and BF and even Doyle sincerely examined their actions and determined it was wrong and attempted to change their behavior moving forward. I think KF was pretty sincere when he discussed the long overdue changes to the program, and I truly believe that those changes are what has led this team to be about the most cohesive team I have seen in a long long time the last few years.

So, long winded way of saying that I hope you don't flush Wallace because of some shitty and shady stuff he did 5 years ago without at least considering whether he has become a better person as a result of his mistakes.

I take no position on whether he has changed for the better or should be the next coach or really anything about him. Just offering a consideration point.

I've been personally told other stuff about Wallace by a former player, but it'd give away the player's identity pretty easily if I said what it was. I will say it wasn't anything dealing with race and wasn't illegal.

That said, the Kallenberger situation is more than enough to call him a puke human being. That same former Iowa player told me more details on it, and it went way beyond him calling Kallenberger Simple Jack. Wallace should thank the god of sawed-off little punks that Doyle was getting in trouble for way more serious stuff at the same time and took all the heat off him.

If Seth Wallace ever becomes head coach of the Iowa football team, I'm done paying attention to the program until he's gone. People here can write that down. I'll come back immediately when and if he leaves. As a person with a kid who has a lot of the same issues as Kallenberger I can't root for a team where that guy is in charge and supposed to be fostering the culture.

Mind you, my allegiance will always be with the Hawks. I just hope if he does get to be head coach they go 0-22 and he gets fired as soon as possible.

Here's Seth Wallace's MO for anyone who doesn't remember...

Re: the "unnamed" coach in the below statement, he later confirmed it to be Wallace when other players came out in Kallenberger's defense and said it was him. Seth Wallace, KF golden child numero dos, wrote a student's GPA (with a diagnosed learning disability) on a team whiteboard to intimidate and humiliate him. Ask any prof you know if they'd have a job 10 minutes after they got caught doing that.

Published directly by Jack Kallenberger:

"I post this not to take away from the issues my ex African American teammates have brought to light, but to shed more light on what really goes inside that football building. I also share this not out of a place of hate whatsoever. The University of Iowa and Iowa Football programs mean A LOT to me. I'm very proud to be a former Hawkeye. I believe it is necessary to create a better environment and culture for every player that will go through that program from today on. I've been debating sharing my story of how my time at Iowa played out since I left the program last January. Right now is a time where I felt uncomfortable sharing as the stories being shared by former players are all involving race. I did not want to take that spotlight away because the racial disparities need to be solved in that building. However, after speaking to a former teammate and close friend of mine who has shared his story, he encouraged me to all open up because now is a time of change for Iowa football. This is not easy for me, but it is necessary to share."

"I've struggled with ADHD all my life and have been on medication for as long as I can remember. People in the Iowa football program were aware of my learning disability. I enrolled at Iowa in June of 2017, and wasn't tested in the hospital for a learning disability until spring of 2018 (I also need to be tested to have access to medication). During that semester and a half period, I nearly failed out of Iowa because I struggled to pay attention in class, focus on my assigned readings, and not day dream during exams. All of these struggles were due to the chemical imbalance that hindered my ability to focus as the human brain should."

"The issues at Iowa began when a coach nicknamed me Simple Jack. For those unaware, Simple Jack is a mentally challenged character from the movie Tropic Thunder. I had never seen that move before but my coaches and teammates were quick to tell me exactly who Simple Jack was. One coach was great at jumping on opportunities to bring me down and make me feel dumb. Matt Nelson and I had a tradition of giving each other belly bumps before every game and practice. This coach made comments about my so-called 'lack of intelligence' most mornings on the practice field. This coach constantly told me how dumb I am. This same coach also constantly told my little brother [Iowa OL Mark Kallenberger] how dumb I am. This same coach also suggested we create a new sign for a defensive call because I was too stupid for the old one apparently. One coach wrote my semester GPA on his position room whiteboard (my parents didn't even know my GPA as consent laws protect it). I often struggled to hold conversations with Chris Doyle because he was another coach that enjoyed to remind me that I'm dumb. One Sunday after a lift, some guys and I were talking about movies that just came out. Doyle overheard this conversation and said 'Kallenberger, how about you open a (expletive) book instead of watching movies."

"We have to read a book as a team every January, assigned by the strength staff. We are quizzed over it once a week. I remember already being overwhelmed with school (learning curves are bigger for me due to my inability to focus so school took more time for me) and then had the anxiety of getting my pages read for this book quiz from the strength staff. I failed out first quiz over the put and Doyle said to me in the weight room, "is the book too hard, or are you too stupid?"

"I remember lying to Coach [Reese] Morgan's face on multiple occasions when he would see something was upsetting me. Before I quit football, Coach Morgan told me he was already planning on having me take reps to spare Chauncey Golston and AJ Epenesa at first string at defensive end in spring ball. That opportunity is the reason I came to Iowa. Being from Iowa, that was such a real dream of mine. Knowing that was a reality going into my final season made no difference. I again lied to Coach Morgan and told him I need to step away to focus on school. I quit football not because of school, but because I was broken, beat down, bullied, unwanted, and unloved. I was stripped of every ounce of self-confidence I had. I wouldn't speak in classes out of fear that I was going to be called dumb because that was my reality for two years in the Iowa football building. I was forced to forget about my learning disability (much like the coaches ignored it) and forced to believe that I was a stupid individual."

"At Iowa, if you don't fit the mold, you're an outcast and will be treated accordingly by many of the coaches on the staff. It is an environment where mistakes can be made, but you better not make any. It's an environment that causes crippling anxiety, something that [former Iowa DB] Manny Rugamaba mentioned in his own personal stories as well."
I was very disappointed that Wallace got the assistant gig instead of Woods.

Fry, I appreciate your position and your passion. The only thing I would ask you to consider is whether Wallace has changed and deserves some grace. To be clear, I don't know the guy at all or his heart. But, KF was the captain of this ship and was aware at some level what Doyle was and had to know some of the shitty culture that he was allowing to take place under this watch. He was appropriately chastised and made changes to the program for the better. Obviously, you are still a fan right now despite that KF, and Wallace and BF all remained. So, either you looked past it and decided to stay a fan, or offered KF some grace that people can realize mistakes and make changes for the better.

Maybe Wallace was a relatively young coach seeing what established coaches in the KF world did and thought it was okay or part of the culture that KF wanted, and he went along with it. Or, maybe he was the ring leader. I don't know. What I do know is that I treated a lot of people poorly in high school and beyond. Bullying and picking on others was absolutely part of high school culture in the 90s in small town Iowa. I hope I am not judged by some of my worst acts and words from long ago, and that people realize that people can change and become something more. I sincerely hope Wallace and KF and BF and even Doyle sincerely examined their actions and determined it was wrong and attempted to change their behavior moving forward. I think KF was pretty sincere when he discussed the long overdue changes to the program, and I truly believe that those changes are what has led this team to be about the most cohesive team I have seen in a long long time the last few years.

So, long winded way of saying that I hope you don't flush Wallace because of some shitty and shady stuff he did 5 years ago without at least considering whether he has become a better person as a result of his mistakes.

I take no position on whether he has changed for the better or should be the next coach or really anything about him. Just offering a consideration point.
I can appreciate making mistakes and learning from them. I have made more than most people. But there are a few things I can't reconcile with Wallace. First of which is absolutely zero remorse or ownership of his actions. He's in a public position and he very intentionally did things to abuse a kid that he had a huge deal of power over, and also knew that it was negatively affecting him. If Kallenberger had say, killed himself would we be having a debate over this? I tend to think not. Wallace would've been dealt with appropriately. Second, when asked publicly if he needed to change what he was doing, he flat out said no. He literally said on video he didn't need to change. It's on YouTube just like his speech when he got the assistant HC job. Anyone can go see Wallace speak on YouTube about the Kallenberger situation.

I will also admit to being biased. My son came home from school crying I don't know how many times because he was getting yelled at for not paying attention and not getting work done, and he wanted to do well but said he just couldn't focus and follow along. My son also told me he wished he was dead and thought about killing himself when he was 10 frickin years old because of his ADHD. Ten. Years. Old. Was that a young kid just lashing out or did he really want to be dead? I don't know and I probably never will. His mom and I were young, ignorant parents when we first started on that journey with him and it took us a couple years to get things going in the right direction. For several years it was medication. We were resistant to it at first because we were uneducated, but once we tried it it was night and day difference. Literally the next day his 1st grade teacher called and asked what happened with him because he was instantly able to concentrate and wasn't off in la la land staring out the window. But like a lot of things in life, there was no magic bullet. The medication gave him severe tics. Facial tics, clearing his throat, different things like that. It was almost like a super mild case of Tourette's. That's when things got really bad. Kids made fun of him for it and teachers gave him hell because they said it was distracting. He also said the meds made him "feel weird." That's a very common response. It made him feel extremely off-kilter, but he could do the schoolwork. It made him not want to eat, but he could read more than a paragraph. It gave him hot flashes but he did well on quizzes, etc. He hated the meds. But we made him take them; as parents it was torture because we were forced to choose between two options that were both hurting our son. That's when he said he wished he was dead...when kids were making fun of his tics. Imagine looking your kid in the eye telling him to take his meds which you knew were going to cause the thing he was most scared of...getting made fun of...

Anyway, I don't want this to be a pity party for me or my son. We eventually agreed to go without the meds once he got older because 1) as a teenager we couldn't just ram it down his throat, and 2) why make the last part of his school years miserable? It's affected his grades negatively, but you know what? I've come to realize that within reason, there are things a lot more important than GPA. He's well-adjusted now, has a great group of friends that will probably be there for life, and he does great in sports. He's qualified for state in track and XC a few times already and he's a good baseball player. He's doing ok.

So why bring it up if not a pity party? Because most people (not saying you) don't understand how destructive that can be to an individual's mental health. My ten year old boy, the love of my life to this day, told me he didn't want to live anymore, and younger kids than that have killed themselves over it. That's hard core. In no way do I mean to diminish victims of sexual and other physical assault, but this kind of bullying that Wallace got a thrill from for so long is just as impactful and destructive but it doesn't get treated that way. If Wallace had raped a player would he be coaching? No. How many rape victims have killed themselves 5 years after the fact because they couldn't deal with the shame and embarassment, even if they never tell anyone? What if he had smacked a player around? Same. Sexual harassment? What if Wallace had made a player do something goofy naked in front of teammates to humiliate him as punishment...would he have a job? No way. Why should he be able to get away with this one?

You bring up a valid point that he's still employed and I still root for the Hawks. I wish he weren't employed here. I've said it on this board before. But to gain a position of total control over a program and be its face and its public (and private) billboard is a bridge too far for me to cross. I can't do it.

Back to my original point about being accepting of mistakes being young, ignorant, and dumb...absolutely I can forgive and I do. But to have a guy who's done the shit he has to players (how much has gone unreported...I'm not so naive to think this is magically the one and only incident) isn't ok. If Wallace made a guy dance naked in front of his teammates to humiliate him and said, "My approach doesn't need to change," never admitted wrongdoing, and most of all never apologized an iota...would he be someone who'd still be coaching? Would he be someone you hire to lead your law firm?

Sorry for the long post, aside from all the hyperbole on this site I respect your opinion quite a bit, and I also have to say respectfully this is a hill I'm willing to die on. I won't change my view on it and maybe that makes me weak-minded.

I appreciate the post.

I was very disappointed that Wallace got the assistant gig instead of Woods.
Yes.

I know people see that I have a bias towards LeVar Woods. I know the guy personally, and he is the exact 180 of Seth Wallace. Woods is soft spoken, unbelievably respectful and considerate, and his guys would take a bullet for him. It doesn't take much searching to find players saying so. He coaches guys without having to intimidate. Other players I've talked to tell me he's a younger version of Reese Morgan and is a guy they'd want to go to war with. Does that warrant a HC job? Probably not.

But I'm not the only person (not by a mile) who's said he's an OC in waiting and is on track to be in line for elite HC jobs, and those are people a whole lot smarter than any of us. I don't see that in Wallace. All I see with him is another little Napoleonic Ferentz nut-hugger who wants to wear a crown and has gotten lucky to be a position coach under Phil Parker. Phil Parker would make Brian Ferentz look like Bill Belechick if he was a defensive coach.

Your post about the experience your family had with despicable behavior was, sadly, repeated time and again over decades. And, some of that behavior still threatens the lives of many youngsters. As a young teacher at Kennedy High School in the early 70’s, I was asked to include learning disabled kids in my English classroom. Frankly, I was terrified. Not of the kids, but by fear that I would unknowingly do something wrong. Thanks to support from highly educated and sensitive teachers schooled in special education techniques, the kids survived my inexperience.

For the remainder 35 years of my career, I saw numerous changes for the better, but too often derailed by flat out ignorance. Happily, as parents became more educated and had the ability to stand up for their children, the good now out weighs the bad In public education. As my career path moved through teaching, building administration, and ultimately central office positions, opportunities to help make a difference presented themselves. I pray that I mattered.

Proud to say that my ex wife, my daughter, my son, and now my grand daughter have all centered their teaching careers on children with special needs.

Fry, do not ever regret your passion to protect your own. Wallace has no excuse for his alleged behavior. He should be fired. I have terminated teachers for far less.

So. Good for you. Tell your son there are many of us out there dedicated to proper treatment of kids with special needs. I can speak to that reality with authority.

Sincerely,

Dr. Lee

Your post about the experience your family had with despicable behavior was, sadly, repeated time and again over decades. And, some of that behavior still threatens the lives of many youngsters. As a young teacher at Kennedy High School in the early 70’s, I was asked to include learning disabled kids in my English classroom. Frankly, I was terrified. Not of the kids, but by fear that I would unknowingly do something wrong. Thanks to support from highly educated and sensitive teachers schooled in special education techniques, the kids survived my inexperience.

For the remainder 35 years of my career, I saw numerous changes for the better, but too often derailed by flat out ignorance. Happily, as parents became more educated and had the ability to stand up for their children, the good now out weighs the bad In public education. As my career path moved through teaching, building administration, and ultimately central office positions, opportunities to help make a difference presented themselves. I pray that I mattered.

Proud to say that my ex wife, my daughter, my son, and now my grand daughter have all centered their teaching careers on children with special needs.

Fry, do not ever regret your passion to protect your own. Wallace has no excuse for his alleged behavior. He should be fired. I have terminated teachers for far less.

So. Good for you. Tell your son there are many of us out there dedicated to proper treatment of kids with special needs. I can speak to that reality with authority.

Sincerely,

Dr. Lee
I for the life of me can’t understand how he’s still employed. I’m being honest when I say I believe he has blackmail over powerful people. Aside from all the horrible stuff he did to Kallenberger, how does he get away with posting a student’s GPA for public ridicule?

One can be prosecuted and sent to prison (technically) under FERPA for doing that, even without the whole bullying aspect. Kallenberger never pursued charging him which is ironic because Wallace’s career was thus saved by the kid he tortured the entire time he was on campus. And the school declined to fire him for it because (I truly believe) he has something on a VIP somewhere. There is no logical explanation otherwise.

Strange how no black players could be identified as having any knowledge of racist treatment while in the U of Iowa, once they were placed under oath. The actual plaintiffs claimed no one knew the facts they alleged.

But BF and CD were well reputed to be assholes. I think most of the time the "racist" comments were simply bleated by kids that are raised to believe anything done to them they don't like is racist. BF and CD were assholes to apparently anyone they perceived as not doing their best. Clearly losing BF is a win. At first, I thought Doyle's absence hurt the line, then someone responded the D players did seem to suffer any diminution of strength, power, endurance and athleticism.

Last edited:
I can appreciate making mistakes and learning from them. I have made more than most people. But there are a few things I can't reconcile with Wallace. First of which is absolutely zero remorse or ownership of his actions. He's in a public position and he very intentionally did things to abuse a kid that he had a huge deal of power over, and also knew that it was negatively affecting him. If Kallenberger had say, killed himself would we be having a debate over this? I tend to think not. Wallace would've been dealt with appropriately. Second, when asked publicly if he needed to change what he was doing, he flat out said no. He literally said on video he didn't need to change. It's on YouTube just like his speech when he got the assistant HC job. Anyone can go see Wallace speak on YouTube about the Kallenberger situation.

I will also admit to being biased. My son came home from school crying I don't know how many times because he was getting yelled at for not paying attention and not getting work done, and he wanted to do well but said he just couldn't focus and follow along. My son also told me he wished he was dead and thought about killing himself when he was 10 frickin years old because of his ADHD. Ten. Years. Old. Was that a young kid just lashing out or did he really want to be dead? I don't know and I probably never will. His mom and I were young, ignorant parents when we first started on that journey with him and it took us a couple years to get things going in the right direction. For several years it was medication. We were resistant to it at first because we were uneducated, but once we tried it it was night and day difference. Literally the next day his 1st grade teacher called and asked what happened with him because he was instantly able to concentrate and wasn't off in la la land staring out the window. But like a lot of things in life, there was no magic bullet. The medication gave him severe tics. Facial tics, clearing his throat, different things like that. It was almost like a super mild case of Tourette's. That's when things got really bad. Kids made fun of him for it and teachers gave him hell because they said it was distracting. He also said the meds made him "feel weird." That's a very common response. It made him feel extremely off-kilter, but he could do the schoolwork. It made him not want to eat, but he could read more than a paragraph. It gave him hot flashes but he did well on quizzes, etc. He hated the meds. But we made him take them; as parents it was torture because we were forced to choose between two options that were both hurting our son. That's when he said he wished he was dead...when kids were making fun of his tics. Imagine looking your kid in the eye telling him to take his meds which you knew were going to cause the thing he was most scared of...getting made fun of...

Anyway, I don't want this to be a pity party for me or my son. We eventually agreed to go without the meds once he got older because 1) as a teenager we couldn't just ram it down his throat, and 2) why make the last part of his school years miserable? It's affected his grades negatively, but you know what? I've come to realize that within reason, there are things a lot more important than GPA. He's well-adjusted now, has a great group of friends that will probably be there for life, and he does great in sports. He's qualified for state in track and XC a few times already and he's a good baseball player. He's doing ok.

So why bring it up if not a pity party? Because most people (not saying you) don't understand how destructive that can be to an individual's mental health. My ten year old boy, the love of my life to this day, told me he didn't want to live anymore, and younger kids than that have killed themselves over it. That's hard core. In no way do I mean to diminish victims of sexual and other physical assault, but this kind of bullying that Wallace got a thrill from for so long is just as impactful and destructive but it doesn't get treated that way. If Wallace had raped a player would he be coaching? No. How many rape victims have killed themselves 5 years after the fact because they couldn't deal with the shame and embarassment, even if they never tell anyone? What if he had smacked a player around? Same. Sexual harassment? What if Wallace had made a player do something goofy naked in front of teammates to humiliate him as punishment...would he have a job? No way. Why should he be able to get away with this one?

You bring up a valid point that he's still employed and I still root for the Hawks. I wish he weren't employed here. I've said it on this board before. But to gain a position of total control over a program and be its face and its public (and private) billboard is a bridge too far for me to cross. I can't do it.

Back to my original point about being accepting of mistakes being young, ignorant, and dumb...absolutely I can forgive and I do. But to have a guy who's done the shit he has to players (how much has gone unreported...I'm not so naive to think this is magically the one and only incident) isn't ok. If Wallace made a guy dance naked in front of his teammates to humiliate him and said, "My approach doesn't need to change," never admitted wrongdoing, and most of all never apologized an iota...would he be someone who'd still be coaching? Would he be someone you hire to lead your law firm?

Sorry for the long post, aside from all the hyperbole on this site I respect your opinion quite a bit, and I also have to say respectfully this is a hill I'm willing to die on. I won't change my view on it and maybe that makes me weak-minded.
No apologies needed for me. I appreciate your candor. Everyone has things they are sensitive about from personal experiences. This hit home for you.

For what it is worth, I have ADHD and struggled with it my whole life, but back in the 80s in rural Iowa I was referred to as "hyper." I was a bright enough kid and figured out how to self-manage somehow, but tedious classwork has always been intolerable for me. Medication and other interventions as an adult has allowed me to do well in a pretty tedious job as a lawyer. I have passed this lovely circumstance to my 16 year old son, who at least has been diagnosed and helped with medicine to allow him get through the day in school (he still holds the record for most days kicked out of kindergarten until his pediatrician finally prescribed meds).

There is a lot of good research being done on nuerodiverse people such as me, my son, your son, autistic spectrum kids, etc.. Instead of picking on and marginalizing people who don't fit "the norm" we as a society need to find ways to embrace those differences and find ways to harness the creativity and unique perspective of these folks. Its an emerging science.

Great read if you have time: https://www.amazon.com/Neurodiversi...ypEsC98Cf2Roanxm22wl-QaSYMhnj_7hoCeUgQAvD_BwE

No apologies needed for me. I appreciate your candor. Everyone has things they are sensitive about from personal experiences. This hit home for you.

For what it is worth, I have ADHD and struggled with it my whole life, but back in the 80s in rural Iowa I was referred to as "hyper." I was a bright enough kid and figured out how to self-manage somehow, but tedious classwork has always been intolerable for me. Medication and other interventions as an adult has allowed me to do well in a pretty tedious job as a lawyer. I have passed this lovely circumstance to my 16 year old son, who at least has been diagnosed and helped with medicine to allow him get through the day in school (he still holds the record for most days kicked out of kindergarten until his pediatrician finally prescribed meds).

There is a lot of good research being done on nuerodiverse people such as me, my son, your son, autistic spectrum kids, etc.. Instead of picking on and marginalizing people who don't fit "the norm" we as a society need to find ways to embrace those differences and find ways to harness the creativity and unique perspective of these folks. Its an emerging science.

Great read if you have time: https://www.amazon.com/Neurodiversi...ypEsC98Cf2Roanxm22wl-QaSYMhnj_7hoCeUgQAvD_BwE
I sympathize with your plight. Very ADHD myself, and OCD. It actually kind of balanced out and I had the willpower to power through what I thought was merely a "hyper" personality (grew up in Ottumwa in the mid 70s) until my early 50s when I started to lose the willpower and became more easily distracted.

My regular doctors suggested a test of some sort. They gave me meds. The meds really did help, unlike the tranquilizers the doctor prescribed way back in 1962 (according to mother). Those were replaced by a jump rope and ankle weights when my 1st Grade teacher asked my little Greek mother if there was something wrong with me due to silence and lethary. Three weeks later I'm sure the teacher regretted that conversation.

Last edited:
Man it would nice to have a QB again who could the long ball like Chuck Hartlieb did. It’s been a long time since we have seen that ability.

Here's a thought, Spencer Petras was the most accurate thrower since Nate Stanley's sophomore year.

Last edited:
At this point, I would take a QB who can set his feet, get through 3 progressions, and decisively tuck and run for positive yards if something is not open. I swear the last 4 years have been nothing but feet planted in cement and sacks. Its like they got so used to wearing the red jersey in practice they were not used to the speed of the game itself. We need someone, anyone, who can make plays at QB. I think we finally have the room we need in that regard.

This has to be the most athletic QB room in recent memory for Iowa. Maybe ever under KF. CM is by far the least athletic QB in that room, and he can move just fine when he is healthy.

Latest posts